Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get USB keyboard to activate during POST every time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get USB keyboard to activate during POST every time?

Hi,

My USB keyboard doesn't turn on most of the time when I power on or reset my computer. This prevents me from being able to access the BIOS.

It never works first time, but it does eventually work. Actually, there is a pattern, where it routinely turns on after my third attempt. So:

1. I startup the PC (or reset it from the OS)....the keyboard doesn't turn on, and the PC starts loading into Windows
    2. I press reset while Windows is loading.....the keyboard still doesn't turn on, so the PC starts loading into Windows. But because I had interrupted it previously, it now takes me to a screen prompt asking about Startup Repair. I press reset again.
    3. This time, without fail, the keyboard will turn on, and I am able to press DEL or F2 to access BIOS.

So, I can get into BIOS, but it always takes 3 tries, as outlined above. How can I get the keyboard to work every time? I have tried about 4 different USB ports, and it didn't make any difference. The USB settings in BIOS are all "enabled", except for one which is "Smart Auto".

Mobo: Asrock extreme9 ac
    BIOS Version: P1.80
    CPU: i7 4770k
    RAM: 16GB
    Keyboard: Logitech G510s

Thanks in advance

Re: How to get USB keyboard to activate during POST every time?

Which USB port are you using for the keyboard? Try a USB 2.0 port if you aren't currently.

Do you have the keyboard's software package installed?

Comment

I've tried both of the USB2.0 ports already (the ones up the top, next to the PS/2 ports), and it didn't help unfortunately.

I do have the software package (lcore.exe) installed.

Comment

Send it back, what you're saying is the USB ports are dead until windows starts, and I doubt that.

But the only USB port you should be using is the one on the I/O panel next to the PS/2 port, all the rest are USB 3.0.

Do you have a flash drive, card reader, a phone, to test that the USB next to PS/2, that it has power while BIOS posting ???

Enter BIOS/UEFI settings.

You can go to advanced BIOS menu and set the USB keyboard to wake.

Now go to USB controller, and make sure that it's enabled, then set " Legacy USB Support to enabled.

If you don't set Legacy USB 3.0 to enabled, then you should only be using 3.0 hardware on them.

On boot page I would disable Full screen and ADDon rom.

Make sure CSM is enabled.

So now you will test the USB port next to PS/2 for power at BIOS/UEFI boot, if this has power at boot, then the keyboard is the problem.
        Last edited by odiebugs; 11-05-2013, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
          Send it back, what you're saying is the USB ports are dead until windows starts, and I doubt that.
          No I'm not. I'm saying it works, but only intermittently. Usually on the third attempt.

I tried everything you suggested, except for CSM (my UEFI version doesn't have that option). My motherboard has two USB2.0 ports, but I tried the one closest to the PS/2 as you suggested. I also tried disabling fast boot. Unfortunately, nothing worked.

I've also verified that the keyboard is fine. I plugged into another computer, and it didn't have this problem. Conversely, I tried 2 other keyboards (a different model Logitech, and a Razer) with this PC, and they behaved exactly the same way as the original keyboard did. In fact, when I plugged a Logitech and the Razer keyboards into the two USB 2.0 ports, they both turned on at exactly the same time, during Windows bootup (both keyboards have illumination, so it's easy to see when they turn on).

This is my second Asrock motherboard, and I think it's going to be my last. Their software is consistently dreadful, and it seems their UEFI isn't great either.

Does anyone have any more ideas?
          Last edited by Volnaiskra; 11-13-2013, 06:07 AM.

Comment

I've had a slight improvement. The keyboard now tends to work after the 2nd attempt, rather than the third. I'm not sure what made this difference. But it would still be nice if it worked every time. As I outlined above, I've confirmed that the keyboard is not the problem.

Any more ideas? Is this something that only a BIOS upgrade could fix? (I have the latest BIOS as of writing)

Comment

Originally posted by Volnaiskra View Post
              I've tried both of the USB2.0 ports already (the ones up the top, next to the PS/2 ports), and it didn't help unfortunately.

I do have the software package (lcore.exe) installed.
              New UEFI/BIOS as of yesterday: ASRock > Z87 Extreme9/ac

The latest software for your keyboard is called LGS_8.50.281_x64_Logitech.exe, dated 8/26/2013: Support + Downloads: G510s Gaming Keyboard - Logitech

So you tried two other gaming keyboards (with drivers installed?) on your board, and they did the same thing. Ever try a plain old non-gaming mouse? I have a Z87 EX 6 board, and use several wireless mice and keyboards with it, and I can use them fine in the BIOS, etc, every time.

You must know that gaming keyboards can be a pain to deal with, and are finicky, etc.

Do you have the XFast USB software utility installed? If so, uninstall it and reboot.

We still don't know what OS you are using.

Comment

The new KB software might help, but I've read of too many gaming KB's that just plain refuse to allow the user into the BIOS.

Best to have a cheap ol' $7.00 PS/2 KB at the ready for times you wish to get into the BIOS.
                #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  New UEFI/BIOS as of yesterday: ASRock > Z87 Extreme9/ac
                  Thanks. I've flashed it, but unfortunately it didn't help.

The latest software for your keyboard is called LGS_8.50.281_x64_Logitech.exe, dated 8/26/2013: Support + Downloads: G510s Gaming Keyboard - Logitech
                  That's the name of the installer ;) The program itself is lcore.exe

So you tried two other gaming keyboards (with drivers installed?) on your board, and they did the same thing. Ever try a plain old non-gaming mouse? I have a Z87 EX 6 board, and use several wireless mice and keyboards with it, and I can use them fine in the BIOS, etc, every time.

You must know that gaming keyboards can be a pain to deal with, and are finicky, etc.
                  You've got to be kidding me.

3 out of 3 keyboards (100%) worked perfectly on another motherboard. 0 out of 3 keyboards (0%) failed to work on the extreme9ac. Of the many variables at play here - logitech, razer, asrock, z77 chipset, z87 chipset, different USB ports - only one variable keeps popping up with a 100% correlation to the problem: the extreme9ac. And you're telling me you still think it's the keyboards' fault?

What you're saying is theoretically possible, but the statistical probability is so low that I can't take it seriously. Sorry, I'm not going to dig up a 4th USB keyboard from a 3rd manufacturer just to confirm that the motherboard is the problem.

Do you have the XFast USB software utility installed? If so, uninstall it and reboot.
                  I checked, but no, I don't.

We still don't know what OS you are using.
                  Win 7-64. Though I don't see how my OS, or my drivers or keyboard software for that matter, are of any relevance. Keyboards need to be able to enter the bios before any drivers, OS, or even storage drives are installed at all. Otherwise, we're in a catch 22.

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                  The new KB software might help, but I've read of too many gaming KB's that just plain refuse to allow the user into the BIOS.

Best to have a cheap ol' $7.00 PS/2 KB at the ready for times you wish to get into the BIOS.
                  When a keybaord is a "gaming" keyboard, it's usually just a matter of marketing. Sometimes physical characteristics, such as sturdier construction, mechanical keys or brightly labelled WASD keys. I can't see how any of these things would consistently affect how a keyboard behaves in BIOS. The only exception I can see is a keyboard that has its own USB ports, as it may behave like a USB hub instead of just a regular keyboard. That describes 1 of the 3 keyboards I've tried, but it didn't make any difference, as they all behaved exactly the same way.

Anyway, I bought a PS/2 numpad on ebay, which recently arrived. It works flawlessly of course, and can get me into the UEFI every time. The numpad has enough keys on it to do almost everything in UEFI, except go back a level (because it hasn't got [esc]). But that's ok, because the UEFI allows a mouse to click a "back" button........but guess what? When my USB keyboard doesn't work in UEFI, neither do either of my USB mice (a corsair wired, and a gigabyte wireless).

So that's 5 out of 5 peripherals that don't work properly with the extreme9ac UEFI, yet work perfectly in every situation outside of it. Is that enough for you guys, or are you going to keep insisting that the motherboard is flawless and my peripherals are to blame?
                  Last edited by Volnaiskra; 12-07-2013, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X