Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue

Hi

I've recently update bios to lastest revision (2.20). I've left the same previous settings, but now it won't boots. After the screen logo it shows me the flashing cursor at top left of the screen in infinite loop. I've tried to restore the old bios (2.00) and no problems.
    Now I discovered that the problem is AHCI standard mode. The system now boots only if I set IDE mode or AMD AHCI BIOS ROM. I tried to change all the other settings in storage configuration with no results.
    I've connected an ssd, hdd, and optical drive in the first three sata ports.

Thanks for your reply.

Re: asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue

Were you using AHCI mode before the update to 2.20? I'm not sure from your first post.

Is the AMD AHCI BIOS ROM a new option, or was it always available in other BIOS versions?

Comment

AMD AHCI BIOS ROM is a sub-option that appears when AHCI is enabled always available even in other bios version and disabled by default.
      In previous bios versions I left all settings by default (in storage configuration) enabling only AHCI in "SATA MODE".

P.S. The update to lastest revision (2.30) don't change nothing.

Comment

AMD AHCI BIOS ROM is a sub-option that appears when AHCI is enabled always available even in other bios version and disabled by default.
        In previous bios versions I left all settings by default (in storage configuration) enabling only AHCI in "SATA MODE".

P.S. The update to lastest revision (2.30) don't change nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by purple1 View Post
          Hi

I've recently update bios to lastest revision (2.20). I've left the same previous settings, but now it won't boots. After the screen logo it shows me the flashing cursor at top left of the screen in infinite loop. I've tried to restore the old bios (2.00) and no problems.
          Now I discovered that the problem is AHCI standard mode. The system now boots only if I set IDE mode or AMD AHCI BIOS ROM. I tried to change all the other settings in storage configuration with no results.
          I've connected an ssd, hdd, and optical drive in the first three sata ports.

Thanks for your reply.
          This is my biggest fear... bios corrupt. What does DR Debug say when you boot it up. Look up the code do some research on it but it sounds like you got a bad bios, maybe power went out or it didn't complete. anyways perhaps you can pay asrock to send you a bios chip or send the board back but I am sure with this dreadful support that takes years to update drivers for new boards and to get replies it would take you a while perhaps just switch to another brand.

~ One unhappy business owner who use to support asrock. no more.

Comment

Originally posted by phrozeng View Post
            This is my biggest fear... bios corrupt. What does DR Debug say when you boot it up. Look up the code do some research on it but it sounds like you got a bad bios, maybe power went out or it didn't complete. anyways perhaps you can pay asrock to send you a bios chip or send the board back but I am sure with this dreadful support that takes years to update drivers for new boards and to get replies it would take you a while perhaps just switch to another brand.

~ One unhappy business owner who use to support asrock. no more.
            DR Debug don't show nothing maybe because the BOSD is after POST.
            I don't think the Bios is corrupt because if so it won't boot at all.
            Maybe the OS is too old for this new bios (Win8 x64). I'll try to install Win8.1 to see if it works.
            Last edited by purple1; 11-28-2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

"Hi

I've connected an ssd, hdd, and optical drive in the first three sata ports. "

But you said in a previous post it wont boot?!?! so it does boot but it does a bsod. confused now.

Comment

A common problem that causes BSODs is changing from IDE mode to AHCI mode after Windows is installed, and then trying to boot. That causes a BSOD because the AHCI driver is not loaded by Windows.

It sounds like your problem is exactly like this. A new Windows 8.1 installation will work since it is a new, and the BIOS settings have not changed.

Comment

I know what the OP is saying. I have the same problem. Computer POST's just fine, but after POST screen disappears it sits at a black screen with cursor flashing at top left of screen, and does nothing. I noticed that while POST is happening it says Detected IDE Drives, but shows nothing detected (BIOS v2.00 used to show all the drives detected). I had to Enable the AHCI option ROM in the BIOS (which is a new setting from BIOS version 2.00 which is what I was using before 2.30) to get the Windows loading screen. Still says nothing is detected during POST though. Yes all drives are detected in BIOS and can change settings on them and even the BOOT order. I also had to leave BOOT MODE to legacy, other option is UEFI. Again new settings from BIOS v2.00 to v2.30.

I have looked at ASRock's site for updated manuals on the new BIOS and Google searches with no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ViperGTSR View Post
                    I know what the OP is saying. I have the same problem. Computer POST's just fine, but after POST screen disappears it sits at a black screen with cursor flashing at top left of screen, and does nothing. I noticed that while POST is happening it says Detected IDE Drives, but shows nothing detected (BIOS v2.00 used to show all the drives detected). I had to Enable the AHCI option ROM in the BIOS (which is a new setting from BIOS version 2.00 which is what I was using before 2.30) to get the Windows loading screen. Still says nothing is detected during POST though. Yes all drives are detected in BIOS and can change settings on them and even the BOOT order. I also had to leave BOOT MODE to legacy, other option is UEFI. Again new settings from BIOS v2.00 to v2.30.

I have looked at ASRock's site for updated manuals on the new BIOS and Google searches with no luck.
                    Great information ViperGTSR, but I'm a bit confused, do the new settings you came up with work for you? If so, great.

I now must say this sounds like a BIOS issue, or one based on the changed settings and no explanations. Updated manuals? Good luck with that, I have seen that rarely by any mobo manufacture, but all my ASRock board's BIOS settings of the latest BIOS do not match the descriptions in the manuals.

I sounds like ASR may have changed an Option ROM in BIOS 2.30. That is, UEFI booting (vs legacy booting) can have different option ROMs, and it seems a UEFI compatible SATA option ROM was added. But you usually do not need to select the correct one for your booting mode, at least on Intel chipset boards made by ASR.

Comment

Yes settings (after much trial and error, thought it was DRAM settings since it never sets to DDR-1600 as default even with ram and CPU that are compatible...) of Boot ROM mode to Legacy and AHCI option ROM to enabled finally allowed me to get back into Windows. The rest is all normal settings from before upgrade.

Comment

ViperGTSR, thanks for that. Is there any drawback or issues that are caused by using those settings?

Purple1, there is no problem using the BIOS SATA settings that work for your board with that BIOS version, which works for you, right?

Hopefully ASRock will explain the changes in that version of the BIOS, if they are intentional, or change them back if they create an issue. Is there any problem for you using those settings?

Comment

This might sound like I'm smoking a blunt but try moving your ram to the opposing two slots and retry. ie: suppose in A1 and B1 now, move to A2 and B2

See one of my first post here from when I initially joined TT:
                          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                            ViperGTSR, thanks for that. Is there any drawback or issues that are caused by using those settings?

Purple1, there is no problem using the BIOS SATA settings that work for your board with that BIOS version, which works for you, right?

Hopefully ASRock will explain the changes in that version of the BIOS, if they are intentional, or change them back if they create an issue. Is there any problem for you using those settings?
                            No. I haven't particular issues using AMD AHCI BIOS ROM only:
                            Bios take some second more to load BIOS AHCI and drives initialization.
                            I cannot disable S.M.A.R.T. which decrease performances of ssd-hdd.

Comment

Originally posted by purple1 View Post
                              No. I haven't particular issues using AMD AHCI BIOS ROM only:
                              Bios take some second more to load BIOS AHCI and drives initialization.
                              I cannot disable S.M.A.R.T. which decrease performances of ssd-hdd.
                              I haven't seen any issues so far. I would love to get some clarification from ASRock on what the new settings are and any benefits from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X