Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 function "Ultra fast boot" starts 20 seconds is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 function "Ultra fast boot" starts 20 seconds is this normal?

Welcome
    Sorry for my english .
    My computer configuration is:
    | Core I5 4670K/Noctua NH- U12P SE2 | Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 ( bios 1.60) | 2x8GB Team Group Vulcan 1600MHz DDR3 XMP | Power Color R7970 - UEFI GOP ( AX7970 3GBD5 - 2DHV3E ) | Crucial M4 256GB SSD , HDD Seagate SATA ST3000DM001 3TB | LiteOn BD-R IHBS -112 Bluray | Sound Blaster Recon 3D PCI-E Creative GigaWorks T40II | fractal Design ARC Mini , PSU Corsair 750HX | LCD 23 " LG IPS236 | Logitech Gaming Keyboard G110/G9x Laser Mouse | Windows 8 Pro with Media Center |

I installed Windows 8 64 -bit on a GPT partition . I set the UEFI BIOS feature ultra fast boot . My graphics card is fully compatible with UEFI GOP Power Color R7970 - UEFI GOP ( AX7970 3GBD5 - 2DHV3E ) . Windows at startup does not report any errors but starts 20 seconds. It's a bit long considering the fact that Windows is installed on ssd . The advertising films Asrock information is very fast (a few seconds) running Windows 8 I think my system should run a maximum of 12-15 seconds. Maybe the problem is ridiculous but I want to know what I'm doing wrong?
    Regards

Re: Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 function "Ultra fast boot" starts 20 seconds is this normal?

Do you have Windows hibernation disabled? If so, that may be the problem. Windows 8 Ultra Fast start uses a special hibernation file that saves only internal Windows data, which it restores during start up to speed up start time. But, that is only used from a cold start/boot, after shutting down the PC. A Windows restart does not create or use this file, so does not start up as fast as a cold boot from a Shutdown.

Next, your BD player and HDD may be slowing down your start up time. Both of those are much slower to start up than a SSD. You can try disconnecting power from the BD drive first, and see if that helps.

Also, when you installed Windows 8, did you have the SSD and HDD connected and running? If so, Windows will put the GPT and/or MBR partition on a different drive than the selected OS drive (Windows still puts a MBR partition on OS drives that are partitioned with GPT.) The boot process then must wait for the HDD to start up to use the GPT or MBR partition, which takes longer.

Finally, or maybe most important, are you sure you are really UEFI booting, and not just normally booting? To enable UEFI booting, you must set the CSM option to Disabled. You can also set Secure Boot to Enabled, which will automatically disable CSM, at least on ASRock boards.

To check your booting mode, run msinfo32, and in the main System Summary displays, find BIOS mode. If the value is UEFI, you are UEFI booting, if it is BIOS, you are not UEFI booting and Ultra Fast boot will not work.

If you did not install Windows in UEFI booting mode, which only happens if you have the CSM option disabled, then your Windows 8 installation was not done for UEFI booting mode, and Ultra Fast boot will not work.

Comment

Re: Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 function "Ultra fast boot" starts 20 seconds is this normal?

Thank you for your interest
      In response to your suggestions:
      1 Unfortunately, I do not know where to turn hibernation windows 8. In Control Panel-System and Security-Power Options-system settings hibernation function is selected.
      2 Disconnected the Blu-ray drive from the power supply and it did not improve much charging time. I mean, at first it seemed to me that the charging system takes noticeably less time (15 seconds), but after a few reboots the computer, charging time is about 20 seconds longer for less time, about 15 and does not have any specific rules when.
      3 My system drive is a crucial m4 256 and it has one partition GPT file system (information checked). Also my second drive 3 Tb has one partition as GPT file system. There would probably be possible to initiate such a large partition in Windows without any special software manufacturer's my motherboard or hard drive.
      4 I made a test run msinfo32 command system and, of course, it was confirmed that I have a system installed using the functionality of the new UEFI BIOS.
      5 My graphics card is 100% compatible UEFI GOP. [Power Color R7970 - UEFI GOP ( AX7970 3GBD5 - 2DHV3E )] I do not have any error messages after enabling ultra fast boot, and I think that undoubtedly occurred.
      Link to the description of the card:

I thought that perhaps the fault lies elsewhere in the configuration UEFI Setup Utility.
      I have the following settings:
      UEFI Setup utility-Security-Secure Boot-enabled,
      UEFI Setup Utility-Boot-Fast Boot-Ultra fast,
      UEFI Setup Utility-Advanced-Storage Configuration:
      Sata controlers-Enabled
      SATA Mode Selection- AHCI
      Sata Agressive Link Power Management-Disabled
      Dynamic Storage Accelerator-Enabled
      Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. - Enabled

Sata 3_0: M4-CT256M4SSD1
      Sata 3_1: ST3000DM001-1CH166
      Sata 3_2: Not Detected
      Sata 3_3: Not Detected
      Sata 3_4: Not Detected
      Sata 3_5: Atapi iHBS 112 2
      Last edited by Forsaken; 10-07-2013, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Good, all that is correct, I had to confirm that you were UEFI booting.

Windows Hibernation is enabled by default, but SSD users sometimes will disable it to get back the space on their SSD that Hibernation allocates, equal to the amount of RAM memory in the PC.

As I said earlier, Ultra Fast Boot only works when a PC is started after it has been shutdown in Windows, and the PC is off. You mentioned "after a few reboots...", so I don't know if you mean reboots from a Windows Restart, or rebooting after a Shutdown.

The ASRock video about Ultra Fast boot is probably showing a PC with one SSD as the OS drive, and no other drives in the PC. It also probably has a basic Windows 8 installation, with no other programs installed, so very few if anything in the Startup programs list. HDDs are slower starting up than SSDs, so your HDD may be slowing down the start up.

I don't see anything wrong in your UEFI settings. Do you have "Full Screen Logo" and "AddOn ROM Display" disabled in the UEFI Boot menu? If not, having those enabled will slow down startup a bit.

Comment

I have three Asrock Board, B85M-ITX, H77M-ITX and now an H87M Pro4 and all the boards have only a very fast Coldstart when an SSD is connected (no other HD or DVD device). When i connect an normal HD the coldstart isnt faster then any other Board.
          And with my new H87M Pro4 the "Fastboot" is so slow, that i came in Bios with DEL or F2 although Ultrafast Boot is enabled and i saw the Bios Menue in the right buttom corner (F2/DEL for Bios.F11 Bootmenue etc.).
          I think, Ultrafast Boot is OK when you only have SSD in your PC but with a mix of SSD and normal HD its only a marketing gag...

Comment

Thank you for your help. Also, I believe that you can not have it more speed.

Comment

Wow yea that would explain a LOT. I also have everything set correctly all along the way. I also have a 30 second boot time with ultra fast boot enabled. Fast boot same 30 seconds. But I have NINE normal hard drives connected as storage and that very well could be the issue.....DAMN IT. What a total waste of freaking time this has been.

Comment

Working...
              X