Clear All

• Extreme6 Motherboard

It does sound a noob question but still here it goes
    1. Can you use 4770K in extreme6 Z77 MB
    2. Will 64 GB RAM work though the specs mention 32GB

Thanks
    Speed is the limit

Re: Extreme6 Motherboard

Welcome back Babdi, you disappeared into the Internet ether for a while, but some of us are still here.

Short answer, no, all the Haswell processors and 8 series chipset boards are socket 1150, rather than socket 1155 for Ivy Bridge CPUs and boards like your Z77. Sounds very close but just different enough, typical Intel...

But IMO, you won't be missing much if anything between your Ivy Bridge processor and Haswell, and there are reasons why Haswell is less desirable than Ivy Bridge. Haswell processors run very hot, more than Ivy Bridge, particularly when over clocked. Cooling Haswell CPUs when stress testing has proved to be very difficult.

Of course if you're up to "delidding" a Haswell processor, removing the cover/IHS, and using exotic TIM, then you might enjoy having an over clocked Haswell system.

AFAIK, you won't be able to go beyond 32GB of memory without a quad channel system.

Comment

Thanks Parsec. Very informative reply.
      Yes in a way I have had dissapeared into Internet Ether

I get geared up when I have to change /mod / upgrade something. Else life is
      Cheers !

Hey Parsec by the way, dumped 2 Zotac 560 ti and got an Asus 660ti GC :D
      Last edited by Babdi; 09-23-2013, 06:41 AM. Reason: Addendum
      Speed is the limit

Comment

OMGosh, what a coincidence, I just got an EVGA 660 SC two days ago. I have since apparently ruined it with a VBIOS update for UEFI/GOP compatibility, which is creating havoc on that PC... Trying to find the original VBIOS now, or some other fix...

Comment

Well I did VBIOS update on mine too. Thank god no problem. Just wondering if you can revert back to original BIOS 'cause when I upgraded it warned me that I can't reverse back.
          Mine is an ASUS anyway. Check if yours will allow else will brick your card :(
          Speed is the limit

Comment

Uh-oh, that is not good about the VBIOS update. EVGA (support rep) sent me a copy of the original VBIOS that I requested, but no warning about not being able to revert back. You may be right about my card too, but it got so bad I could not even boot the PC so I could check the VBIOS version. Thanks for that information, it may save me some grief! I was using the latest non-Beta driver from EVGA, but I notice now that it is not WHQL, which may be causing issues, particularly with Windows 8.

Downloading a WHQL version now, 320.49, in EVGA's terms. What driver are you using, if you can translate the version, if it is different? Are you aware of any bad drivers for 660 cards?

Comment

I am using the latest that is available; 327.23 WHQL from Nvidia site. I never use drivers from the card manufacturer. They are far behind in driver version.
              My expereince,10 years, never had a problem so far. I always install the latest even if it is a Beta. I have used cards of Palit,Zotac,MSI and now Asus.
              IMO I have not come across any major issues with a 660Ti and your EVGA should also work. As a matter of fact EVGA is a better performing card compared to Asus IMO. We dont get much of EVGA around here and even if available is expensive.
              I suggest running the card on a non windows 8 PC ,say win 7,to see its behaviour. If it behaves flawlessly then it is windows 8. Uninstall the driver and let windows update the driver from its database. This should solve the problem mostly. Good luck
              Speed is the limit

Comment

Another point that comes to my mind is
                Did earlier card work with the present setup
                Did EVGA work well before VBIOS upgrade

If yes to Q1 then it is the card
                If yes to Q2 then it is the BIOS
                If no to Q2 then it is the card again
                Speed is the limit

Comment

I'm at the point now where I've "decided" it's the card, even if it's the VBIOS on the card. The VBIOS update program just closes its command window as soon as it completes, so I can't see what the final message is, good or bad. That's really useful...

Great point about getting the driver from Nvidia, I forgot about that, I've done that in the past. It seems to late for this card, and might not have made any difference, since something is just plain wrong with it. If I can't install the card's driver without a BSOD, which I have never seen before, I'm not spending any more time with it.

Thanks for your ideas!

Comment

Glad to be of service
                    Speed is the limit

Comment

Parsec
                      Dumped Asrock. Failed twice RMAed once. The second time they said they cant replace. Replaced it with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H.
                      Never an ASrock again
                      Speed is the limit

Comment

Well, I can understand that.

What happened? I didn't know you had problems with your board.

Comment

331.58 WHQL is the newest.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                            Well, I can understand that.

What happened? I didn't know you had problems with your board.
                            The display failed. Onboard and PCI exp, twice. First it was replaced. Then they said they cant.
                            Speed is the limit

Comment

Working...
                            X