Assembling New Build Using ASRock FM2A85X Extreme 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembling New Build Using ASRock FM2A85X Extreme 6

<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }A:link { }</style> Currently have:

ASRock FM2A85X Extreme 6
    AMD A10-5800 Trinity APU
    Rosewill Challenger Black Gaming ATX Midtower Case
    WD VelociRaptor 10000 rpm (main)
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 rpm (storage)

Awaiting:

Logitech PS2 Mouse

Logitech PS2 Keyboard

To be ordered today:

Generic (inexpensive) DVD-RW Drive

Pondering:

DDR3 1600 SDRAM 8GB (4x2)
    Power Supply

Greetings All,

First time posting after a few days of lurking and gleaning. From what I've read in this very informative forum, I appear to have gotten into a potentially tricky situation with my latest build. Having but a few more pieces left to buy I thought I would seek your advice. Building a system using the FM2A85X Extreme 6 the biggest potential hazard seems to lie with the selection of SDRAM for this board. Finding exact matches to memory sticks on ASRock's Memory Support List has been a tireless task. I need 8GB (4x2) of available known-to-be-working memory. Preferably DDR3 1600. Any suggestions?

My computing needs are very simple. I will not be overclocking this build nor do I do any gaming. I browse, read email, view videos (mostly web-based) and do some light photo editing. I will be installing Linux Mint 15 as my OS of choice. I plan to use AMD's GPU for my graphics. I'm also hoping to use the stock fan with my APU. The Rosewill case comes with 3 fans installed. Is this a reasonable expectation?

The last thing on my list is the PSU. I'm leaning toward a SeaSonic S12ll 620 Bronze. I also like the Corsair Builder Series CX600. Lastly, since I've not yet tried a modular power supply, I'm considering the Antec BP550 Plus. Any thoughts here?

I can appreciate the time it takes planning, amassing hardware, assembling a system and ultimately running into a hardware/software quagmire. I've been lucky enough to have built a few systems that went together surprisingly well. I respect, as well, the sometimes thankless task a forum member can undertake when helping someone find the answers they seek. In that vein I thank you in advance for reading this far . Please let me know if I've left out any pertinent information and I will get back to you asap. Of course, any hints or tidbits are welcomed as well.

Re: Assembling New Build Using ASRock FM2A85X Extreme 6

Finding memory was not so bad, I just copied the manufacture number from the support list, went to the Newegg tab in my browser in their memory section, and pasted it into the search field. All the G.SKILL 2GB 1600 kits were found, but two out of stock. This one is in stock:

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Memory, Desktop Memory, F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

I've used this memory in another board, works great, no problem.

For the power supply, Seasonic all the way! Distant second choice would be the Antec, and trailing far behind that the Corsair.

Comment

Thanks for your reply parsec. I have been leaning toward the SeaSonic PSU. Good to hear a confirmation. As far as memory goes I need GSkill 8GB (4x2) but I don't think any 4GB sticks were on the ASRock memory QVC. This set by GSkill: GSKILL SNIPER 8GB (2x4) matches closely (serial number) to the set you suggested. Is the FM2A85X mobo that picky?

Comment

I have two FM2A85X Extreme 6 PC's (Win 7-64) and have had good luck with Gskill. I bought these last November when the price was 1\3 of what they are now. Sorry.
        In the BIOS they will default to 1600 but all you need to do is select Profile 1 to get them to run at 1866. No other other memory changes. Put them in slots A2 and B2 for best operation at higher speeds.

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB N82E16820231550 (low profile blue heat sinks)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL N82E16820231455 (high profile red heat sinks)

Comment

Working...
        X