M3A785GXH doesn't post - no video nor beeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M3A785GXH doesn't post - no video nor beeps

I have a PC with an ASRock M3A785GXH motherboard in it. This system has been stable/reliable for a couple years and has not undergone any recent changes to bios or hardware configuration changes. We had a power dip last week and the system rebooted. Thinking nothing of it, I didn't look at the machine until today. The system powers on but doesn't post - all the fans are running for the case, cpu, and power supply. There's no video signal from the onboard video. I've reset/cleared the CMOS via jumper but that doesn't have any effect on either post or video. Were it memory or cpu I'd expect to get something on the screen or at least some beeps, but that's not the case. Is there any way to tell if the motherboard is dead? I don't have a spare cpu or chassis to test it in, nor any other graphics cards to see if that's the only issue.

Thanks.
    Ben

Re: M3A785GXH doesn't post - no video nor beeps

Most likely candidate will be the power supply. If that's a cheap one it's also possible it took out other components. You're going to have to find other components to test with (any friends who could help?), or take it to a store to have them look at it, but that will likely cost you. The only way to figure out what the problem is is to make sure you know what is working fine, and you'll need to swap hardware around for that.

Comment

Turn off the power supply and remove the cmos battery. give the pc a few minutes and reinstall the battery and try the boot process again, if it still fails I would try borrowing parts from friends or colleagues starting with a GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler.Bernath View Post
        Turn off the power supply and remove the cmos battery. give the pc a few minutes and reinstall the battery and try the boot process again, if it still fails I would try borrowing parts from friends or colleagues starting with a GPU.
        Tyler got it right. I emailed ASRock tech support and they sent me a short set of steps to clear the BIOS - including pulling the battery, shorting the clear jumper and pulling the power supply cables. Sure enough it post'd after that (well obviously I put everything back together). A quick couple settings in the BIOS and the PC was back to life! I did borrow a power supply from a neighbor just in case, but am glad I didn't have to swap hardware.

Thanks for your help!!!

Ben

Comment

Working...
        X