Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Z87 Extreme6 OC issues (UEFI 2.10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 OC issues (UEFI 2.10)

I tried pushing for a 1v base and a 0.25v offset with my 4.4GHz OC but it kept ramping up the voltage far higher than what I had set to (1.36-1.4v) so I left it at 4.3GHz which didn't make the voltage go crazy. I guess this is the best I can do for the time being. I know I can get a pretty stable OC at 4.4GHz at a fixed 1.23v but can't get adaptive to work properly in this situation.

Can't complain really, getting an extra 0.8GHz for free :)
    Last edited by scorpian007; 08-21-2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Try 1.1V/0.15V offset instead, you should still see the same idle voltage with that.

Comment

1.1v works with a 0.05v (0.1 was pushing it to around 1.3-1.35v) offset and it now maxes out at ~1.25v at 4.4GHz. Only problem now is that OCCT fails in 30 seconds as the cores get up to 90-100 degrees! Looks like 4.3GHz might be the limit for my chip :(

I'll keep experimenting and post back.
        Last edited by scorpian007; 08-21-2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scorpian007 View Post
          1.1v works with a 0.05v (0.1 was pushing it to around 1.3-1.35v) offset and it now maxes out at ~1.25v at 4.4GHz. Only problem now is that OCCT fails in 30 seconds as the cores get up to 90-100 degrees! Looks like 4.3GHz might be the limit for my chip :(

I'll keep experimenting and post back.
          IMO, this result and your earlier experiences are all standard for Haswell. The 4.4GHz wall as I call it is also the point where temperatures become a problem.

4.3GHz may be the limit for you processor without going to extreme measures, such as delidding and custom water loop.

Comment

You're right. I don't think it's worth investing in a water cooling system or delidding for another 100-200MHz. Pretty happy with 4.3 though :)

Comment

For Haswell i7-4770K, 4.3GHz is not bad at all without extreme cooling. You could go a bit higher but the temperatures in stress testing programs will cause throttling, as you have seen. But in normal usage, you won't reach those temps and throttling. You might consider that OC not stable or proven due to being unable to run the stress test for long, but that is your decision.

Forgot to mention a tip that may reduce your temps a bit. In the UEFI you'll find the CPU Cache Ratio (multiplier) setting, which is normally the same as the CPU ratio/multiplier. It has been found that the CPU Cache multiplier can be reduced relative to the CPU Ratio/multiplier, allowing higher OC's, apparently without a performance hit.

The Cache multiplier can be quite a bit lower than the CPU multiplier, and the PC will run fine. The Cache multi can be below 40 (36 - 38) while the CPU multi can be over 40. I am not aware of any rule about the CPU and Cache multi settings relative to each other, besides the Cache multi should not be higher than the CPU multi.

Comment

Working...
              X