Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

Originally posted by Dave Perry View Post
    From here:
    ASRock > Support
    Click on "Contact Technical Support"
    It will take you here:
    ASRock > Support Request Form
    Thanks you man!

I completed the support request form. I hope get answer soon or I'll have to call them..

Regards

Comment

Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

Originally posted by funpilot View Post
      Best thing to do is call ASRock and ask for them to send you a new bios chip. They did it for me.
      for free?

Comment

Is it really free considering the pain their error(s) has(have) caused me? But yeah, you could call it free :)
        I'll let you know how long it takes to arrive.

Comment

The BIOS chip arrived on Saturday, not too bad from the Netherlands.
          Had to reinstall windows, despite being told UEFI boot mode should be available, it wasn't for either my SSD or HD, but was for a USB device I had plugged in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Perry View Post
            The BIOS chip arrived on Saturday, not too bad from the Netherlands.
            Had to reinstall windows, despite being told UEFI boot mode should be available, it wasn't for either my SSD or HD, but was for a USB device I had plugged in.
            So did you solve your problem or not? UEFI mode may be available, it's just not obvious, let me know if you need help.

If not, what BIOS version did you get with the new CMOS chip?

Comment

I got BIOS version 2.0.
              I couldn't boot from the SSD without UEFI on my cloned drive, but there wasn't an option to do that with the older BIOS 2.0, hence reinstalling windows. (BIOS 3 worked but had a bunch of other problems).
              The amount of time I've wasted on this makes me wish I'd just reinstalled to start with on the new SSD and not cloned (there's me thinking it would be quicker!)

Comment

I don't understand what you mean by "without UEFI on my cloned drive", or UEFI mode as I think you said earlier.

So do you have the P67 Pro3 or P67 Pro3 SE board? The response you received from ASRock surprised me, that the B2 P67 chipset would not support the IME firmware in the 3.10 BIOS update. I don't see any different listing for B2 or B3 P67 boards at all. Plus the BIOS update should not run on the wrong board version according to the tech. This is very confusing, I have no idea what really happened in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  I don't understand what you mean by "without UEFI on my cloned drive", or UEFI mode as I think you said earlier.
                  The cloned drive wouldn't boot without UEFI boot mode (the cloning software did warn me of this).
                  The sentence wasn't great, perhaps it should have been:
                  "I couldn't boot from the clone SSD without UEFI boot mode"

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  So do you have the P67 Pro3 or P67 Pro3 SE board? The response you received from ASRock surprised me, that the B2 P67 chipset would not support the IME firmware in the 3.10 BIOS update. I don't see any different listing for B2 or B3 P67 boards at all. Plus the BIOS update should not run on the wrong board version according to the tech. This is very confusing, I have no idea what really happened in your case.
                  I have the non SE version, just a plain old P67 Pro3. When I ran the firmware update in windows, it just started writing to the flash (it may have told me not to run any other software, but it was over a week ago I did it and I can't remember).

Comment

sorry to resurrect an old thread but i`m having some problems with my extreme 9 (x79) where the Intel management driver has a yellow bang and a code 10 error ( This device cannot start. (Code 10) A device which does not exist was specified.)
                    also i`m getting the "authentication error between software" and also "driver has failed to perform handshake with the Firmware". I followed the instructions on the 1st page of this post and i`ve found i don't have any ME firmware installed in my bios its saying N/A under ME subsystem, i`ve tried every bios compatible with my cpu (4930k) and left the usb in after bios update to see if it will install the ME but no luck.

Every time i try and game the computer locks up and freezes and if i check the event viewer i get the firmware handshake error just before the computer freezes, is it possible i have a duff bios chip? I`ve emailed Asrock and i`m waiting on a reply but i`ve just noticed my warranty ran out on 4th of this month. I would rather try and get a bios chip pre flashed if anyone would think this would help.

My System Specs:
                    Asrock Extreme 9 x79
                    16gb corsair dominator platinum
                    samsung evo 840 250gb ssd
                    corsair ax1200i
                    gtx 670

Cheers in advance

Davie

Comment

Not to worry quiggy2512, this thread is about problem solving when the SB to IVB BIOS update goes wrong or right.

Your situation is unique to me, where you literally are getting error messages about the IME firmware and software communication. Where do those messages come from, displayed during POST, Windows Logs, or what?

To review, the ONLY BIOS/UEFI update that contains the IME firmware change is 3.60, for your particular board. None of the others will add or update the IME firmware.

After applying the 3.60 update, you must also run the INF/Chipset Installation program, and the IME software update compatible with an IVB processor. The links aren't working for me now, but they can be found on this page:

ASRock > X79 Extreme9

You may have done that already, not clear in your post. If you haven't done that, definitely try it, then clear the BIOS afterwards, load defaults, fix any settings you use, and see what happens.

You may have a bad CMOS/BIOS chip, difficult to know. Replacing it with one that contains 3.60 or better from ASRock might be your only and best fix.

There is no doubt IMO that the new BIOS chip with a normal flash of 3.60 is the best starting point, at the very least it will get that question out of the way.

I'd ask you about the history of your BIOS updates, what BIOS the board came with, did you change to the IVB CPU, but that won't help you fix it at this point.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply i`ve been working away for a few days. New bios chip came from Asrock this morning solved my problem 100%. I`ve got FW in the bios and no errors at all now, thanks to your thread i didnt need to RMA or buy a new motherboard.

So thanks again

Davie

Comment

Originally posted by quiggy2512 View Post
                          Sorry for the late reply i`ve been working away for a few days. New bios chip came from Asrock this morning solved my problem 100%. I`ve got FW in the bios and no errors at all now, thanks to your thread i didnt need to RMA or buy a new motherboard.

So thanks again

Davie
                          Thanks so much for that!

Also extra good to prevent an RMA, and possibly saved you the money for a new board, that's among if not the best success story I've had yet!

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how it turned out.

Comment

Hi!!

Lots of time experimenting extrange issues since i've updated bios to 2.10, I was thinking I was an aislated case... and now I'm finding this thread.
                            I have Asrock p67 Extreme6 gen3 + 2500k working flawlessly until I updated to the new bios... since that, sometimes it freezes on cold start and inside BIOS, i can only select Legacy Rom option, because EFI compatible rom freezes too.
                            Guys, have any of you found a way to downgrade to 1.x???

Thanks.

Comment

I hope someone is here to help me.

Good Day fellow forumers!

First, it is my first time to try updating my mobo.
                              Second, I will update it because the current version does not support Ivy CPUs.
                              Third, As you can see on the image below, the P1.70 is basically what I need but I don't quite get the description part:
                              Supports Intel's 3rd Generation CPU.
                              To support Intel's 3rd Generation (Ivy Bridge) CPU, corresponding BIOS, drivers and AXTU update are required.
                              then a list of .zips follows

My questions are:
                              1. Can I just download and update bios using the latest version which is P2.40?

2. Does it include the following fixes on the previous versions? (There's a term on this but I can't remember.)

2. If I just get what I need. which is P1.70. Can you explain to me what does the description says? In a more simplified term. :)

I think that's all for now. :thumb:

mobo: ASRock H61M/U3S3
                              current cpu: i3-2120 (sandy)
                              next cpu: i5-3470 (ivy)

bios current ver: P1.20
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Deicidium View Post
                                I hope someone is here to help me.

Good Day fellow forumers!

First, it is my first time to try updating my mobo.
                                Second, I will update it because the current version does not support Ivy CPUs.
                                Third, As you can see on the image below, the P1.70 is basically what I need but I don't quite get the description part:
                                then a list of .zips follows

My questions are:
                                1. Can I just download and update bios using the latest version which is P2.40?
                                NO, don't do it! You'll probably need a new BIOS/CMOS chip if you do. For others reading this, he currently has BIOS 1.20.

2. Does it include the following fixes on the previous versions? (There's a term on this but I can't remember.)
                                You mean BIOS 2.40? In this case, yes and NO. But this is a special case, hopefully explained below.

2. If I just get what I need. which is P1.70. Can you explain to me what does the description says? In a more simplified term. :)
                                Sigh, the description is so dumbed-down now, it is almost worthless. Can't make it simpler, but I can make it clearer and add missing information. My sticky thread on this topic explains all this if you want to know why.

You must flash to BIOS 1.70 in order to use an IVB processor in your board. BIOS 1.70 contains an update that is NOT included in any of the following BIOS version. That update is the part that allow you to use an IVB processor.

When you flash to BIOS 1.70 you MUST leave the USB drive in the USB port until Windows completely reboots. Otherwise the special update for IVB will not complete, and your board will not work correctly.

Once the 1.70 update is complete, you can install your IVB processor. But now that you are using an IVB processor, some of the software on the board must be updated to match it. The description lists the software that must be updated. That software is:

Intel ME software, and the link to that download is in the description. You need to download and run that installation program.

The other software is needed only if you use it, that being:

AXTU utility from ASRock.

Intel graphics driver for the integrated graphics on your IVB processor. There are different versions of the driver depending on the version of Windows you use.

Finally, once you flash to 1.70, you can't flash to an earlier BIOS version. Not that they are listed to download anymore.

What confused you about the description?

I think that's all for now. :thumb:

mobo: ASRock H61M/U3S3
                                current cpu: i3-2120 (sandy)
                                next cpu: i5-3470 (ivy)

bios current ver: P1.20

Comment

Working...
                                X