Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the best/safest method to flash BIOS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which is the best/safest method to flash BIOS?

Originally posted by Leontin View Post
    I don't think that the PSU caused this. I have borrowed a motherboard of a friend and with the same PSU and VGA card (except the CPU and Ram because this mobo doesn't support it) everything is working fine. when they will return me the mobo from service I'm really scared to flash again to the latest v2.40 BIOS. I'm thinking if the BIOS file from the website is corrupted itself and it will brick again the motherboard? It can be possible?
    A corrupted BIOS file is possible in theory, but that file has been there since August 7, so over a week now. If it was corrupted other owners of your board would have noticed and posted in this forum.

Try downloading the same file from several of the sources (Asia, Europe, USA, China) and compare their sizes. Or download the file several times and see if they are identical. Don't use the file you might have had a problem with.

Comment

Safest way IMHO is to buy a cheap SPI programmer and externally backup the BIOS before any flashing.

Chances are when you get your board back it will already be flashed to the latest BIOS.

Comment

For the record, I've only flashed my Z77 Extreme4 with the windows bios update. It's the only mobo I've done this with, and possibly the only one I've had that even gave that option. I typically use a USB flash drive and flash within the bios, but I remember when I flashed, or tried to flash this board the first time, I kept telling me there was no bios file on the flash drive (perhaps the file was corrupt, IDK, but I recall downloading the file two or three times and having this issue before I decided to use the windows install version.

knock on wood, I've yet to have a corrupt bios update (I hope I didn't just jinx myself with the Z77 Extreme 6 coming for my son....)
        Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
        i7-2600k i7-2600k
        G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
        Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
        EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
        Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
        Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Comment

My motherboard was returned to me from service. they gave me a new one. it's flashed with v2.30 bios and i will let it that way.i'm scared to flash bios and afterall v2.40 is not an urgent update for me. maybe i will flash v2.50 if there will be one.thank you guys for all your sugestions!

Comment

Originally posted by CRRacer View Post
            For the record, I've only flashed my Z77 Extreme4 with the windows bios update. It's the only mobo I've done this with, and possibly the only one I've had that even gave that option. I typically use a USB flash drive and flash within the bios, but I remember when I flashed, or tried to flash this board the first time, I kept telling me there was no bios file on the flash drive (perhaps the file was corrupt, IDK, but I recall downloading the file two or three times and having this issue before I decided to use the windows install version.

knock on wood, I've yet to have a corrupt bios update (I hope I didn't just jinx myself with the Z77 Extreme 6 coming for my son....)
            Agree, from eBay there are not even expensive..

Comment

Working...
            X