Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Issues X79 Extreme 4 and 3.20 Bios

Hello,

This is my first post on these forums as, up till now, I haven't had an issue with my Asrock based setup. The issue I'm having is, since updating to the latest 3.20 Bios, I can't get a stable overclock. With previous bios, I had no issue. I go into the bios, use the auto-overclock feature as with previous bios, save and restart, but upon re-entering, the correct overclock frequency doesn't show, in fact the frequency value seems to be random.

Booting into windows, things aren't any better. I have to use the windows over-clocking utility (Asrock Extreme Tuning) to even get windows to realise there is an overclock, something which I never had to do with any previous bios, I set it to 4.5Ghz. However, when I run a stress test, the frequency instantly drops to 3.5Ghz, which I'm pretty sure is the factory default turbo frequency. I've disabled and enabled C states, I've fiddled with voltages, but nothing makes any difference.

In frustration I decided to try roll back to the previous bios, (I don't even know if that can be done?) only to find that Asrock no longer has them available on their website. I know this 3.20 bios was supposed to be for Ivy-Bridge E, but it's also the only one listed on Asrocks site, and completely breaks overclocking on Sandy-Bridge Es.

Can somebody please help, or give me a link for bios version 3.10 for the X79 Extreme 4.

Thank you in advance.

UPDATE: I've just discovered that the CPU downclock of 3500Mhz under Prime 95 draws exactly 130W, which is also exactly the TDP of a 3930K. To me this looks like some sort of safety feature Asrock built into the latest bios. Before this update the chip would draw about 180W in Prime. Does anybody know how to turn this off?

Asrock X79 Extreme 4
    Core i7 3930K
    Vista 64
    MSI 2x GTX 580
    Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer

Last edited by Lonewanderer; 08-10-2013, 06:13 PM.

Re: Overclocking Issues X79 Extreme 4 and 3.20 Bios

Yours is the second thread we've had with this issue, and no doubt won't be the last. The mother board model is slightly different, but it's the same basic situation and outcome: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...de-broken.html

You could try to install the required new version of the IME software, etc, but I doubt that will cure your problem.

The best I can do for you is BIOS version 3.0, I hope you can change to an earlier version. Otherwise you'll need a new CMOS/BIOS chip.

ASROCK X79 Extreme 4 bios & drivers

IF the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS, when installed on an X79 board with a Sandy Bridge CPU, will create the issue the OP has, and the other software updates (IME, INF, etc) will NOT fix the issue, why aren't warnings about that included on the BIOS download page?!?!

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

Well I have to say, this is just terrible on Asrocks part, as you said, there are no warnings. How they thought releasing a bios which is incompatible with Sandy Bridge E, when the motherboards it's released for currently contain nothing but SB Es, was a good idea, is beyond me.

Thanks for the link, but the link for the flash version appears to be broken, do you know of any others?I've done a search myself, but the only ones I can find are way back to 1.6 and such. In any case it's probably pointless, as according to the thread you linked, it's not possible to roll back.

So, I'm left with the option of buying a €500+ Ivy Bridge E CPU, or having to pay for a new bios chip. Thanks Asrock!

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewanderer View Post
        Thank you for the reply.

Well I have to say, this is just terrible on Asrocks part, as you said, there are no warnings. How they thought releasing a bios which is incompatible with Sandy Bridge E, when the motherboards it's released for currently contain nothing but SB Es, was a good idea, is beyond me.

Thanks for the link, but the link for the flash version appears to be broken, do you know of any others?I've done a search myself, but the only ones I can find are way back to 1.6 and such. In any case it's probably pointless, as according to the thread you linked, it's not possible to roll back.

So, I'm left with the option of buying a €500+ Ivy Bridge E CPU, or having to pay for a new bios chip. Thanks Asrock!
        Do you have the Ivy bridge, NO, so it's you're own fault for updating a BIOS that is for IVY.

The manual, where it states do NOT update BIOS unless you have problems or the update is needed. Been this way for 15 years.

Use the overclock utility updated for the new BIOS or back flash the BIOS to 3.00.
        Station had a server crash so until they go through it all, the downloads are not working.

There are three Ivy's not one.
        Last edited by odiebugs; 08-11-2013, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
          What the ^%$# are you talking about. Do you have the Ivy bridge, NO, so it's you're own fault for updating a BIOS that is for IVY.

Try reading that new thing called a manual, where it states do NOT update BIOS unless you have problems or the update is needed. Been this way for 15 years.

Use the overclock utility updated for the new BIOS or back flash the BIOS to 3.00, but if you have a problem it's still you're own fault.

Station had a server crash so until they go through it all, the downloads are not working.

There are three Ivy's not one.
          Thank you for the ignorant reply.

Also, on the website it says the bios allows for compatibility with Ivy Bridge E, it says nothing about breaking overclocking for Sandy Bridge E. All it would have taken is for Asrock to state that users of SB E shouldn't install this bios. I would roll back, but they've removed the old bios from their website, and the old ones are very hard to come by elsewhere. Oh, and the overclock utility, doesn't fix the issue. And there are not three "Ivy Bridges", one is a bios update, one an IFF driver, one an Intel Management Driver, and finally an updated overclocking utility. None of which fix this problem. And in case you were referring to the Intel IB E themselves, where did I say there was just one version? In addition, if you had bothered to read the link the other (helpful) user posted, you would see that the removal of the old bios has nothing to do with any server crash, it was a conscious decision on Asrocks part.

So anybody who wishes to upgrade their bios and has SB E, anybody who didn't have version 3.00 (the version which finally fixed all the compatibility issues, not to mention 3.1 is required for full Windows 8 compatibility) have nothing but a bios which breaks overclocking for SB E. Completely our fault, of course.............
          Last edited by Lonewanderer; 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I just downloaded X79 Extreme4(3.00)ROM.zip from ASROCK X79 Extreme 4 bios & drivers -- station-drivers.com
            If you can't successfully flash back using the 3.00 bios your best option will probably be to buy a pre-flashed chip from ASRock for about $15.

Good luck, let us know if this works.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewanderer View Post
              Thank you for the ignorant reply.

Also, on the website it says the bios allows for compatibility with Ivy Bridge E, it says nothing about breaking overclocking for Sandy Bridge E. All it would have taken is for Asrock to state that users of SB E shouldn't install this bios. I would roll back, but they've removed the old bios from their website, and the old ones are very hard to come by elsewhere. Oh, and the overclock utility, doesn't fix the issue. And there are not three "Ivy Bridges", one is a bios update, one an IFF driver, one an Intel Management Driver, and finally an updated overclocking utility. None of which fix this problem. And in case you were referring to the Intel IB E themselves, where did I say there was just one version? In addition, if you had bothered to read the link the other (helpful) user posted, you would see that the removal of the old bios has nothing to do with any server crash, it was a conscious decision on Asrocks part.

So anybody who wishes to upgrade their bios and has SB E, anybody who didn't have version 3.00 (the version which finally fixed all the compatibility issues, not to mention 3.1 is required for full Windows 8 compatibility) have nothing but a bios which breaks overclocking for SB E. Completely our fault, of course.............

Anytime. The update say's-SUPPORT Ivy Bridge-e, do you have Ivy, NO NO NO. The only other support is for RST 12.7, which is only in running UEFI. The 11 series is better at performance then the 12 series anyway on the X79.

Three Ivy Bridges, only one is 500.00. You didn't say there was only one Ivy, but your post about having to spend euro 500, making it sound like there is only one.

I7-4960, I7-4930, I7-4820,

I back flashed my BIOS with no problems, then flashed to the BIOS for IVY again.

So back flash and if you have problems, contact ASRock. I'm sure they would help you.
              Last edited by odiebugs; 08-11-2013, 06:21 AM.

Comment

If the replies in this thread continue with borderline flaming, I will have no choice but to ban the offending posters.
                We are here to share information and help other forum members.
                Let's keep things civil.
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
                  Anytime. Now put your glasses on and read. The update say's-SUPPORT Ivy Bridge-e, do you have Ivy, NO NO NO. Wake up. Where do you get this BS about this adding support for the Kernel in win 8 ? out of your AS. The only other support is for RST 12.7, which is only in running UEFI. The 11 series is better at performance then the 12 series anyway on the X79.

Three Ivy Bridges, only one is 500.00. You didn't say there was only one Ivy, but your pathetic post about having to spend euro 500, making it sound like there is only one.

I7-4960, I7-4930, I7-4820, can you count three here, 1, 2, 3.

I back flashed my BIOS with no problems, then flashed to the BIOS for IVY again, but I bet you have problems.

So back flash and if you have problems, call asrock and tell them they owe you a bios chip because it's their fault.

Nothing you have said addresses anything I've said, reading comprehension issues are evident in your post. I'll defer to the moderators judgment as to what you are and what needs to be done with you.

Last edited by Lonewanderer; 08-11-2013, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                    I just downloaded X79 Extreme4(3.00)ROM.zip from ASROCK X79 Extreme 4 bios & drivers -- station-drivers.com
                    If you can't successfully flash back using the 3.00 bios your best option will probably be to buy a pre-flashed chip from ASRock for about $15.

Good luck, let us know if this works.
                    Thank you. I've successfully downloaded the 3.00 ROM and I'm about to attempt a flash roll back. If you don't hear back from me in a timely fashion, you'll know it went badly. Wish me luck!
                    Last edited by Lonewanderer; 08-11-2013, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Thank you profJim/parsec,

I've just successfully rolled the bios back. Have just done a quick 15min check with Prime95 and the overclock is holding steady. Lucky escape, as flash roll-backs don't always work. If you have any pull with Asrock profJim, please get them to make it clear that the latest bios for all their X79 boards aren't fully compatible with SB E. It will save them and their costumers a lot of hassle.

I was intending to get an Ivy-Bridge E, the main reason I updated the bios, but from what I've seen so far, the performance gain is quite small, especially given the price.

Comment

Sorry to hear that you solved your problem so easily.
                        We need a sticky thread in the ASRock forum that details the weakness of ASRock's approach to inadequate bios documentation and deleting older bios versions. This is an all too common problem with several other ASRock motherboard models.
                        I hate to say it but ASRock really needs to help better protect users from themselves.

Any volunteers?
                        Hint: Parsec is a natural for this.
                        Last edited by profJim; 08-11-2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Sorry to hear that you solved your problem so easily.
                          We need a sticky thread in the ASRock forum that details the weakness of ASRocks approach to inadequate bios documentation and deleting older bios versions. This is an all too common problem with several other ASRock motherboard models.
                          I hate to say it but ASRock really needs to help better protect users from themselves.

Any volunteers?
                          Hint: Parsec is a natural for this.
                          Well I wouldn't say that this a case protecting users from themselves, it's the only bios version on the site and the information says nothing about breaking overclocking on SB E. In fact, it actually says don't attempt to roll back to older bios after updating to it. A very lucky escape on my part indeed! This one is on Asrock, not the users.

What's your take on IB E?

Comment

For many years, many forum posts on the web have said "always go with the latest (and greatest) bios."
                            Others say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm guessing that ASRock and possibly others aren't doing any regression testing to see if their newest bioses that support newer/different cpu models are still fully compatible with the earlier supported cpu processors. I wonder how hard it would be for the bios flashing program to check for a compatible cpu?

IB E? I haven't checked it out yet.
                            I'm still deciding if I want to build a 4770K system now that I've got a Q9650 o/c'd to 4.0GHz on my thoroughly modern P35-DS4 mobo.
                            Last edited by profJim; 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

For many years, many forum posts on the web have said "always go with the latest (and greatest) bios."
                              Others say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm guessing that ASRock and possibly others aren't doing any regression testing to see if there newest bioses that support newer/different cpu models are still fully compatible with the earlier supported cpu processors. I wonder how hard it would be for the bios flashing program to check for a compatible cpu?

IB E? I haven't checked it out yet.
                              I'm still deciding if I want to build a 4770K system now that I've got a Q9650 o/c'd to 4.0GHz on my thoroughly modern P35-DS4 mobo.

Well, my CPU was the second revision of the 3930K. It just seems like a shocking oversight on Asrocks part, to remove all previous bios for their 2011 boards and upload a bios which doesn't work properly with SB Es, which of course, are now, have been for well over a year, and will be for another month, the only processors that can be used on these boards. Then don't even bother to tell anybody of the issue, not to mention, acknowledging that rolling back will probably break it for a lot of people, explaining why they removed older versions. Somebody really dropped the ball!
                              Last edited by Lonewanderer; 08-11-2013, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X