Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z87 Extreme6, Ethernet Teaming? Is there benefit-harm connecting 2 cables from same router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87 Extreme6, Ethernet Teaming? Is there benefit-harm connecting 2 cables from same router?

Z87 Extreme6, Ethernet Teaming? Is there a benefit or harm from connecting 2 RJ-11 cables from same router, to the two ethernet ports on the Extreme6 MB?

Either one works and I am guessing the Intel 1217V LAN RJ POrt is slightly superior to the 1211AT, but I do not know.

I just finished my build other than this and all is going well. Thought I would try to find out before causing the whole thing to go up in smoke.

I am using TP-Link 54M Wireless router, wired to my PC. First ethernet cord coming from the Comcast cable modem to the router and then on to the PC from there as well as a wire to a Roku box and a wireless connection to another Roku.

Re: Z87 Extreme6, Ethernet Teaming? Is there benefit-harm connecting 2 cables from same router?

First, an RJ11 cable is a telephone connector, not an Ethernet cable. You must mean RJ45 cable, CAT 5, CAT 5E, CAT 6, etc.

Your router also has standard wired Ethernet connections, one is connected to that PC now. Each network chip on the board must have its own cable connected to it before it will do anything, so yes it is fine and required if you want to team the two chips on this board, or use both of them in a LAN, etc.

Comment

Re: Z87 Extreme6, Ethernet Teaming? Is there benefit-harm connecting 2 cables from same router?

There's no benefit unless you use a lot of local LAN traffic which is frequently hitting the ethernet limits (with at least two other ethernet connected devices, or one on a "teamed" connection). It won't speed up your internet access, as your LAN speeds are much faster than your internet anyway. And since you need to ask, you probably don't have a need for it. :)

The disadvantage to pairing ethernet connections is the effort required in setting it up, the extra cable needed, and the loss of another network port at your switch or router.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        First, an RJ11 cable is a telephone connector, not an Ethernet cable. You must mean RJ45 cable, CAT 5, CAT 5E, CAT 6, etc.

Your router also has standard wired Ethernet connections, one is connected to that PC now. Each network chip on the board must have its own cable connected to it before it will do anything, so yes it is fine and required if you want to team the two chips on this board, or use both of them in a LAN, etc.
        Yes indeed, I should of said RJ45. I just checked the MB manual to see if that had been misprinted, but nope, just my memory was faulty.

Searched some more a little later and found a post stating that without a very expensive router teaming would have a very minor benefit. The sales blurbs on the box and NewEgg just glossed over the Teaming ability.

Thank you Parsec for your reply.

Bye the way for anyone surfing around looking for feedback on the board; so far this appears to be a solid MB, all jacks but displayport were tried. The HDMI pass through only works with an HDMI out directly from the MB, no surprise in that. Although the DVI on MB played nicely with the HD 5700's HDMI. I didn't have a PCI-E-x16 3rd gen on hand until next month (Likely a EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost for $179.) so a bit of testing with the 2nd gen had to suffice, worked solo in the second full PCI-E-x16 slot solo and combined as well.

Updating both BIOS chips was easy enough although I would say my last Gigabyte build (AMD), was the smoother experience. Although both wanted to install trialware. Can't blame them though the profit margins must be razor thin.
        Last edited by RustyBlade; 07-17-2013, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBlade View Post
          Yes indeed, I should of said RJ45. I just checked the MB manual to see if that had been misprinted, but nope, just my memory was faulty.
          That's what I thought, no problem. The plugs look very similar, but not the cables.

Searched some more a little later and found a post stating that without a very expensive router teaming would have a very minor benefit. The sales blurbs on the box and NewEgg just glossed over the Teaming ability.

Thank you Parsec for your reply.
          I have teaming configured on this board, and I have a multi-port network switch, which is another way to connect multiple NICs. True, teaming does not have much benefit, mainly because the speed of the ISP is the limiting factor, for the Internet of course. It also depends upon what type of teaming is used, there are multiple options.

Bye the way for anyone surfing around looking for feedback on the board; so far this appears to be a solid MB, all jacks but displayport were tried. The HDMI pass through only works with an HDMI out directly from the MB, no surprise in that. Although the DVI on MB played nicely with the HD 5700's HDMI. I didn't have a PCI-E-x16 3rd gen on hand until next month (Likely a EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost for $179.) so a bit of testing with the 2nd gen had to suffice, worked solo in the second full PCI-E-x16 slot solo and combined as well.

Updating both BIOS chips was easy enough although I would say my last Gigabyte build (AMD), was the smoother experience. Although both wanted to install trialware. Can't blame them though the profit margins must be razor thin.
          I agree this board works well, I have not seen anything not working perfectly with the board's hardware, jacks, etc. I've used the Displayport jack, works fine.

The manual states the backup BIOS chip can't be updated, but if it can be I would not be surprised, I haven't checked that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiari View Post
            There's no benefit unless you use a lot of local LAN traffic which is frequently hitting the ethernet limits (with at least two other ethernet connected devices, or one on a "teamed" connection). It won't speed up your internet access, as your LAN speeds are much faster than your internet anyway. And since you need to ask, you probably don't have a need for it. :)

The disadvantage to pairing ethernet connections is the effort required in setting it up, the extra cable needed, and the loss of another network port at your switch or router.
            Thank you Shiari. This seems to be the common opinion. I won't bother about it anymore. I now remember reading about teaming well over a decade ago when I was considering developing an ebook publishing business. Glad I didn't make that bet.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              I agree this board works well, I have not seen anything not working perfectly with the board's hardware, jacks, etc. I've used the Displayport jack, works fine.

The manual states the backup BIOS chip can't be updated, but if it can be I would not be surprised, I haven't checked that.
              Cool, I should get a display-port cable as I haven't checked that port on my Dell Ultra Sharp monitor either.

Parsec, I just confirmed my BIOS version, and yes you can update the B chip too. Infact I ran on the B chip after updating for several hours. But you will want to use the A chip for the most part as it updates accross the two one way.

I downloaded the available updates and the P2.10 BIOS-UEFI exe file from ASRock. Exicuted in Win7 It rebooted after a few seconds and wrote the A bios, then rebooted or went straight into Windows again, I don't remember which.

Result:
              Main Page
              UEFI Version Z87 Extreme6 P2.10

To then copy this updated version to the B chip go to:
              Tool page
              UEFI Secure Backup UEFI (A-B)
              Pressing on that last item instantly starts to writing over the B chip.
              Note there is no copying from B to A.

Running under either chip (For those that might not know, the A or B selection switch is very close to the BIOS chips. Item 18 on the printed manual page 1,2, & 3.) I show version P2.10 under either BIOS selection.

Yes this is a very impressive MB, the reset button resets with absolutely no pause, I wasn't used to that as I usually leave that switch dead on my cases. The Power button acts like the case switch.

I am running the XFastRAM with 1 GB of the 16 dedicated to the HD4600 INTEL video, and the scratch disk in there as well as a Ready Boost option. Surprising though to use the XFastRam you need to use the less elegant "A-Tuning" application from the desktop.

I was hard pressed to load the four processors and 8 threads down using liquify and other brushes in a large document in Painter 12 or Photoshop CS6. So a 2GB GTX 650Ti Boost with 768 CUDA Cores, may very well be over doing it, but even the slightest hesitation while painting etc adds up quick. And I never know how useful a sharp tool is to me until I actually have it on hand to use.

I am using the default cooler with the 4770 non K. And intend to buy the Tom's Hardware recently recommended $70 Noctua NH-U14S, even though the NH-D14 is only about $15 more, the NH-U14S weighs about 1/3 less so less pull on the MB and I am not overclocking. I am leaving the sides off my case until I get the new case and CPU cooler.

I also purchased ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Purifier set. Have any of you used this stuff prior to applying new paste????

I was going to use Arctic Silver 5 until a few years ago when I was building my last AMD systems. This is my first Intel. The user reviews mentioned the paste supplied with Noctua's coolers is very good.
              Last edited by RustyBlade; 07-18-2013, 01:43 AM.

Comment

I also purchased ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover and Purifier set. Have any of you used this stuff prior to applying new paste????
                I use it every time ... the stuff smells awesome :)

I was going to use Arctic Silver 5 until a few years ago when I was building my last AMD systems. This is my first Intel. The user reviews mentioned the paste supplied with Noctua's coolers is very good.
                Mhm, I can't imagine Noctua providing crappy paste with their high end coolers (using the NH-D14 myself) though I'll admit I've never looked at reviews concerning the quality of the paste that comes with it.

Comment

Working...
                X