NIC stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIC stopped working

I've got a 880GMH/U3S3 board. I previously found that when I plugged my CF card IDE adapter in, the NIC didn't work anymore and Windows said "Network cable disconnected". Removing the adapter and it worked again.

It's just stopped working again. I only had my IDE ODD connected but I've now disconnected the IDE cable from the motherboard and it still doesn't work.

I can't see why having stuff plugged into the IDE port would stop the NIC working but it certainly did with the CF adapter. Has anyone got any ideas or is my board just knackered? I guess I could plug a PCI NIC card in but if the onboard NIC has died, I'm rather nervous about this board and as I'm building a system around it to give to my brother, don't want to ship it to him if it's not going to be reliable.

Re: NIC stopped working

Not much to go on here...

What does the Device Manager entry for the NIC chip now say? It should be a problem device if it is not working.

Did you try clearing the BIOS to get the NIC chip working again?

You could try this, connect the CF card reader and the IDE ODD too, and start the PC. Go into Device Manager and open the entry for each of these devices, including the NIC. Click on the Resources tab for each device, and see if there are any conflicts. If not, you should see "No conflicts".

You can also create a System Health Report, from Control Panel, Performance Information and Tools, Advanced Tools, at the bottom of the list.

Comment

Turned it on this morning and in the BIOS did the Dr LAN check, which reports the cable is fine.

Booted into a portable version of Win7 x86 I use for diagnostic purposes and installed the driver I had on the HDD (AR813x_AR815x_v2.1.0.14_WHQL (Ethernet)) and Device Manager shows "Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller".

This is the driver I used on my normal Win7 x64 installation and Device Manager shows the same, even when the NIC isn't working and just says "Cable Disconnected".

Looking at the BIOS options, I couldn't see anything that might cause the NIC to intermittently stop working. There is a setting under Advanced/Storage called "Aggressive Link Power Management" as you can see in this photo and whilst it seems that the NIC shouldn't be affected by the Storage Controller settings, I've already found that it stopped working when the CF Card IDE adapter was plugged in, so there does appear to be some connection between the devices.

I'll boot back into my normal Windows now and see if it's still working there.

Comment

Well it seems my normal Windows install has got worse, overnight, whilst the PC has been off!

It now locks up after the desktop appears. I can still move the mouse but am unable to click on anything, such as Start or the notification tray, which I normally can. On my second boot, it just locked up completely, mouse and all. I'm in safe-mode now and it seems OK like that, so hopefully I can track the problem down to a driver or something.

Comment

That very much sounds like it might be a driver issue yeah.

Comment

While this may not be related to your NIC issue, Disable Aggressive Link Power Management!

I've found that causes nothing but trouble, if I enable it my PCs (multiple ASRock boards with that option) will not boot!

I've had perfectly stable, working PCs, for weeks and months. Then for a test I enabled Aggressive Link Power Management, and changed nothing else. On the first restart after that change, the PC would not boot, dead in the water. I managed to get back into the BIOS, disabled that option, back to running perfectly again.

IMO, it is one of the worst "features" I've ever seen. Among the FIRST things I do when I install a new ASR board, is DISABLE that option and have it disabled in EVERY BIOS profile I save. I would never use it under any circumstance!

Comment

Thanks for the tip. As far as I recall, it was Enabled by default so I just assumed it should be left but as I'm having these problems, I thought I'd try disabling it.

It may be that because it was enabled before, that now I've disabled it Windows has got confused and I might need to reinstall some drivers or even do a Repair Install I guess. Anyway, I've posted my logs and minidumps on Seven Forums and they're good at analysing them, so hopefully they can help me sort it out

I note there's an option under the Power schemes in Windows, "PCI Express - Link State Power Management" which is set to Moderate power savings by default. I don't know if this is connected to that BIOS option or if it does anything when that's disabled. It can be set to Off but I'll leave it until I know what it does ;)

Comment

After uninstalling Networx and SoftPerfect RAMDisk in safemode, thankfully I can now boot normally and everything's working OK at the moment.

I've been told that Networx and Comodo together can cause NIC problems, so that may well be the cause of that particular issue, although it's still strange that it seems to be connected to plugging in IDE devices.

Comment

Working...
                X