HDDs keep crashing! [Extreme 6/TB4]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HDDs keep crashing! [Extreme 6/TB4]

Chill. I didn't breach the subject of piracy. Not even close, nor on my mind. I asked about TV cards and one would assume that to be episodic recordings of TV shows.

That's my Sig asking, not telling. Notice the "Please" please.

Well then, now that you're certain it's the controllers, I guess I'll box back up the 3TB drive I was about to connect to my Extreme6's ASM1061 controller and try to duplicate this. Hence my asking in my first post of how or what you used?

Let us know how it goes with ASRock Tech Support concerning this.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The latest DMDE is now at 2.8.0.542.

You should update as there have been many bugfixes, improvements, and new features added.

DMDE Version Change Log
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I see, sorry for being overprotective. If you have the same board as I do I really recommend installing that program (DMDE) (edited: you beat me to it... :) I will check with updated version) and checking whether all of your HDD's space is allocated or not.

I will see this through either way: by persuading ASRock to issue an update or by scrapping this 'board for something more bug-free.

Comment

Originally posted by Elix View Post
          I see, sorry for being overprotective.
          No problems.

If you have the same board as I do I really recommend installing that program (DMDE) (edited: you beat me to it... :) I will check with updated version) and checking whether all of your HDD's space is allocated or not.
          It is, I can assure you of that.

I will see this through either way: by persuading ASRock to issue an update or by scrapping this 'board for something more bug-free.
          Ha! Good luck with that endeavor. I'm still searching for a bug-free board.

Note(or hint!): I put my BD and DVD drives on the ASMedia ports and they work just fine there.

Comment

Elix, I really think this problem is related to Windows 8, and the ASMedia driver not working well with it.

I am UEFI booting Windows 8.1 on my ASRock Z87 board, and I cannot even have the ASMedia controller enabled without the PC being unstable. I have it disabled, cannot use it at all.

I assume at least part of my problem is the lack of a UEFI compatible ASMedia Option ROM. ASRock suggests using the "new" ASMedia driver they added in the link I provided, I never bothered frankly. Don't forget that mother board manufactures get all the chipset drivers from the chip's manufacture, and can do nothing to modify them. If this issue is purely an Option ROM issue, then it's possible ASMedia is not providing an appropriate version.

Note that wardog is using Windows 7, and does not have this problem.

Have you ever tried using the built in Win 8 AHCI driver, storachi? You should be able to change to that driver manually via Device Manager.

Please understand I'm not trying to excuse ASRock, but there are realities about drivers, such as they are not modified or available to be modified by the board manufactures. Plus I am not 100% certain what the problem is, all I know with certainty, like you, is the ASMedia SATA ports do not work for us when using Windows 8.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              Note that wardog is using Windows 7, ......
              I probably should add that fact in my sig huh?

Comment

No biggie, but as I always say, and you know, details matter, none to big or small. If you don't use Win 8, how would you know if it mattered?

Elix, just enabled the ASMedia controller on my PC, using the Windows 8 storahci driver. No drives attached, and so far so good, no problem.

Now I must connect a drive and we'll see if I get past that.

Comment

Update: Connected a drive to one ASMedia port just as a storage drive, using the Windows 8 storahci driver, PC will not boot.

Goes through POST, I see the initial Win 8 loading screen, then black screen and nothing else. After a minute or so the drive activity LED glows continuously, but nothing changes. Tried using the Reset button, same behavior.

Shutoff and remove power, remove the power cable from the drive on the ASMedia port, and try again. PC boots up fine, no damage done apparently.

Elix, just for my information, what driver do you use on the Intel SATA interface?

Bottom line for me; UEFI booting Windows 8.1 (which I have been doing for months, multiple SSDs for the OS drive, a RAID 0 array at one point, all on the Intel SATA interface) causes the ASMedia ports (four of them on my board!) to be unusable, and the PC to be unusable if even one drive is connected to the ASMedia interface.

That makes six out of ten SATA ports usable.

Message to mother board manufactures: When I see ASMedia or Marvell SATA chipsets on a board, that is a negative thing, and I do not purchase the board because of the extra SATA ports. I know that at best they will be of minimal use, and at worst of no use. I basically ignore them, but since I was stuck paying for them it would be nice if they worked. Try to understand that this not only makes ASMedia look bad, but you the manufacture as well.

Comment

parsec, wow, my problem pales in comparison with yours. Not being able to use 4 SATA ports at all? Wow, that's really f@$#!d up. If I were you, I'd return that mobo. But it's too late for that, I presume.
                    By the way, my rig info was outdated, I'm on Windows 7. IIRC, I have latest Intel chipset controller drivers installed from their website.
                    Last edited by Elix; 03-04-2014, 12:13 AM.

Comment

The problem is not with the board IMO, it is caused by Windows 8/8.1. Owners of Z87 boards had problems with the previous ASMedia driver available when Win 8 was released, the new ASMedia driver, 1.4.1.0 was supposed to fix that, but some people still reported issues with it. Plus no ASMedia driver is listed for download with Win 8.1.

Win 8 had plenty of driver issues when it is was first released, or various drivers had problems with it. For example, even Intel's USB 3.0 driver will not install on Win 8, but the native Win 8 USB 3.0 driver is fine. Never tried the 1.4.1.0 version yet, since I did not really care about the extra ports, given six good Intel SATA III ports. I'll try it later today, but I'm not confident about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X