Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC Power up issues on AsRock's 775i65G R3.0 motherboard, when using a Core 2 Quad processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Power up issues on AsRock's 775i65G R3.0 motherboard, when using a Core 2 Quad processor

DearSirs,

I note from AsRock's internet site that the below problem is not given/arose in any; User Manuals, FAQ, and Internet Searches, for mymotherboard. When using the highest level of compatible CPU's (exc. IntelExtreme Models) shown in their site.

Link to site and mobo => http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G%20R3.0/

I am using the highest-end of compatible CPU’s shown on AsRock's website, an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66Mhz.However, following its installation I hit the below problem.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I have to power on twice, as the first boot does not work not even get to the BIOS screen or any text is shown. I know that something is happening on thefirst boot as I can hear the PC trying to access the floppy drive, but after afew times it stops and then all remains is a black screen and the internal fans remain on until I physically hold the front power button until the PC shutsdown and then re-press it again to turn the PC on using the front power button. After that all works fine.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Once in Windows and if it asks for a restart following a Microsoft Update, it also does the same boot failure as above.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Please someone assist me with a possible solution, and no that's before you ask I'm not losing the Quad Processor that's staying in the mobo

My PC specifications are as follows, if required:
    Product Type:
    n/a
    Problem Type:
    Booting up/Power on
    Model Name:
    775i65G R3.0
    BIOS Version:
    Purchase Date:
    2013/05/20
    Serial Number:
    29M0XD033193
    CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Quad - Q6700 2.66GHz
    Memory:
    2x 1GB PC3200
    Video Card:
    Nivdia 6800 512mb,AGP
    HDD:
    Weston Digital 1TB,SATA
    CD-ROM:
    DVD RW+/-,IDE
    Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition
    Other Devices:
    Multi SD Card Reader, Creative Labs Pro PCI card, USB 2.0 x4 and e-sata x1 PCI card, Ready Boost USB, 1x Floppy Drive, PowerCool 750w PSU
    Thank you in advance for anyone's input.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Kind regards, Jonathan
    Last edited by firebird-jpx; 06-19-2013, 12:49 PM. Reason: Typo

Re: PC Power up issues on AsRock's 775i65G R3.0 motherboard, when using a Core 2 Quad processor

Well, my first thoughts are you are using Windows 7 with a board that is listed for use with at most Windows XP. I can't imagine what drivers are being used, installed manually or automatically. So the driver and chipset compatibility is questionable at best. That Windows 7 boots at all is surprising IMO.

My guess is one of your add on cards, most likely the SD card reader or USB and eSATA card, is causing the bad start up behavior. Possibly the floppy drive as well.

I suggest removing most if not all of the add on cards and see what the result is when you start the PC. Has the PC ever started normally? Did you have all the add on cards installed from the first time you started the PC?

Was the Windows 7 installation done on that mother board, a fresh, new installation?

Your CPU is most likely not the cause of the start up behavior.

Comment

Re: PC Power up issues on AsRock's 775i65G R3.0 motherboard, when using a Core 2 Quad processor

Dear Parsec,

The computer and Windows worked fine with an Intel D 3.7GHz, with all bits in, it's only since the CPU change that this matter has arose.

Regards, Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by firebird-jpx View Post
        Dear Parsec,

The computer and Windows worked fine with an Intel D 3.7GHz, with all bits in, it's only since the CPU change that this matter has arose.

Regards, Jonathan
        Ok, that is completely new information, you never stated anything about only changing the CPU in an existing system, that worked fine prior to that.

Have you cleared the CMOS/BIOS since you changed CPUs? Have you adjusted any BIOS settings for the CPU since the change?

All of the Core 2 Quad CPUs in the CPU Support List have this caveat: *FSB1066-CPU is supported by overclocking only when you adopt an external VGA card and DDR400 CL2.5 memory modules. The Pentium D CPUs all have a FSB spec of 800MHz.

The start up behavior may be caused by the BIOS resetting itself (FSB setting) to allow the new CPU to operate. The adjusted value is not being saved, apparently, assuming this is correct. I would think the new CPU and your memory would operate at a FSB speed of 800MHz, and 1066MHz, but we have no idea what your BIOS settings are.

Comment

Dear Parsec,

Thank you for your input again, no I have not cleared CMOS but have reset the BIOS to factory settings and then, (Gulp) I have overclocked the CPU from 2.66 to 2.8GHz.

What sort of information would you need from me for BIOS info?

Kind regards, Jonathan

Comment

Information? None really, just wondering what the FSB was set to and if you changed it to accommodate the new CPU.

The reset might be enough, if that checks the CPU, but who knows, maybe not. The CMOS clear is a suggestion to fix your issue, which I assume you still have.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              Information? None really, just wondering what the FSB was set to and if you changed it to accommodate the new CPU.

The reset might be enough, if that checks the CPU, but who knows, maybe not. The CMOS clear is a suggestion to fix your issue, which I assume you still have.
              Dear Parsec,

I have re-installed BIOS and cleared CMOS using the jumpers on the mobo, and all works a treat.

Thank you, Jonathan

** No More Mails Needed for the Thread **

Comment

Working...
              X