Z87E-ITX: UEFI bugs & mSATA Slot Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87E-ITX: UEFI bugs & mSATA Slot Not Working

Got a new system setup with the Z87E-ITX. The mSATA slot isn't working properly though. If I screw the mSATA SSD down, the Z87E-ITX won't detect it. If I let the mSATA SSD unscrewed (flipped up) the Z87E-ITX does detect it.

Also on the Z77E-ITX, when a mSATA SSD was in the slot, the UEFI would show it in the system browser. In the Z87E-ITX, if a mSATA SSD is in the slot, the system browser will show the slot as empty, but SATA port 4 in use by the SSD. I guess this is because SATA port 4 and the mSATA slot share that port. If a mSATA SSD is in the slot, both the mSATA slot and SATA port 4 should show as being in use.

When I removed the mSATA SSD and put a mini-PCIe wifi card, USB card or TV tuner card in, the system browser would then show something in the mSATA slot.

Also, when I connect an eSATA dock (with a drive inserted into it) to the board's eSATA port, the system browser does not show anything plugged into that port. When I go to the page that shows the SATA ports where you can configure each one as hot-swappable, the drive in the dock does appear there.

Anyone else experience these issues?

Re: Z87E-ITX: UEFI bugs & mSATA Slot Not Working

Dear Synomenon,

I did the test with Kingston 32GB mSATA SSD and eSATA drive, two devices can be detected normally under OS.
    The eSATA device also can be recognized in system browser with BIOS P1.40.
    Please update the latest BIOS P1.40 from below link to try again.
    Link: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-...wnload&os=BIOS

About the mSATA card in system browser issue, our RD is working on it.
    If any update about this issue, I'll inform you.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you very much!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Comment

Thanks Emily.

I think the mSATA problem with my Z87E-ITX is due to a defective slot. I tried another mSATA SSD and it's exhibiting the same problem as the first mSATA SSD I tried using.

Yes, when the mSATA slot was working (mSATA SSD not screwed down) Windows would see it. The drive connected to the eSATA port was also seen by Windows. I'll try the new BIOS to see if System Browser does see the eSATA connected drive.

Another issue I'm have with the BIOS / UEFI is with the Power on w/ PS/2 Keyboard feature. With every other brand of motherboard I've had, there were options to power on w/ PS/2 Keyboard not with just the press of any key (as it is now with the Z77E-ITX / Z87E-ITX), but with key combos like Ctrl+Esc or Ctrl+Enter.

Comment

Ok, updated to BIOS / UEFI P1.40 and restored to default UEFI settings afterwards. Then I went back into the system browser and the eSATA (SATA port 5) still appears empty.

Also, I received a replacement Z87E-ITX from the store I purchased from (Newegg) and this new Z87E-ITX is having the same problem with my mSATA SSD (If I screw the mSATA SSD down, the Z87E-ITX won't detect it. If I let the mSATA SSD unscrewed (flipped up) the Z87E-ITX does detect it.). This time though, the mSATA SSD has to be angled just right or in different positions for the Z87E-ITX to detect it.

My mSATA SSD is this:
        Edge Memory 480GB Boost Pro. mSATA SSD:
        MacMall | Edge Memory 480GB Boost Pro MSATA Solid State Drive - SATA 6GB/S PE236700

It's the same model sold my Mushkin:
        Mushkin 480GB Atlas mSATA SSD
        Atlas mSATA 480GB

Comment

Ok, I did a little more troubleshooting and found a position in which the mSATA SSD doesn't "disconnect" and is always detected.

I after Windows booted, I ran AS SSD, ATTO and CrystalDisk Mark on the mSATA SSD. AS SSD and ATTO finish their tests, but when I run CrystalDisk Mark, the mSATA SSD disappears like it has become unplugged from the mSATA slot. When I reboot the system, the mSATA SSD shows up again.

Took the mSATA SSD out and placed it back in my laptop and it's working just fine.

This is weird and I don't want to deal with this in a brand new system. With these issues coupled with the Z87 USB3.0 bug I just learned about, I'm going back to my Ivy Bridge setup. I'm returning the board and processor and will wait until ASRock releases boards with the "fixed" Z87 chipset and hopefully a fixed mSATA slot too.

Comment

Same problem here with Intel 525 120GB.
            I installed system on mSATA SSD, and cannot boot up. I have another hardisk which also has system installed. When I switch to boot to another hardisk, mSATA will become workable again. Reset the 1st boot up order to be mSATA in BIOS, then the problem solved.

After shutdown the computer for a few hours, you have to do the above same thing to let mSATA bootable. So that you don't need to open your computer case.

Comment

That's not the same problem. I use this mSATA SSD as a storage drive. I tried changing the drive order and at some point had each drive as the first in the list. I have two drives only in this system; a 240GB Samsung 840 Pro. and the 500GB mSATA SSD. The mSATA slot only worked intermittently. The mSATA SSD had to be inserted a certain way and angled a certain way for it to be detected and this happened on two separate Z87E-ITX boards. I have that 500GB mSATA SSD in a laptop now and it is working just fine.

Comment

If you say like that, this is the hardware problem. So I believe the further new BIOS will not fix your problem and you dont need to update your BIOS.

Comment

Anyway, there is the so-called fixed BIOS (v1.42). Ask AsRock TSD and they will give you one. (I can't it upload here)

Comment

Doesn't really matter now. I returned the Z87E-ITX. I will buy one again if ASRock:

- Fixes the mSATA slot
                    - Puts the Z87 revision C2 chipset in it (to fix USB3.0 problems)

Comment

Originally posted by Synomenon View Post
                      Doesn't really matter now. I returned the Z87E-ITX. I will buy one again if ASRock:

- Fixes the mSATA slot
                      - Puts the Z87 revision C2 chipset in it (to fix USB3.0 problems)
                      Oh my god.... you're still believing the problem is at the defective slot but not the design of BIOS. You'd better find out what's the "difference" at the slot when the new version motherboard released.

[Deleted]
                      S3 State nowadays turned on by default. But luckily I don't see any problem with USB 3.0 device after S3 mode.

Let me tell you more reasons not to buy AsRock.
                      - The UEFI don't support NTFS format
                      - The Instant Flash Program design is the worst.
                      - The UEFI even has the basic problem with "Discharge and Exit"
                      - The UEFI does not allow you to insert SLIC table without flashing ROM.
                      - The UEFI would create further problem if you use PS/2 Keyboard.
                      - The worst design in power saving.
                      - AsRock has hidden bugs with USB drive (not compatible)
                      - VBIOS NOT always up to date
                      - ME firmware NOT always up to date

Why I bought Z87E-ITX?
                      The answer is simple. Intel board has not released yet.
                      Last edited by clever_anthony; 06-17-2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by clever_anthony View Post
                        Oh my god.... you're still believing the problem is at the defective slot but not the design of BIOS. You'd better find out what's the "difference" at the slot when the new version motherboard released.

[Deleted]
                        S3 State nowadays turned on by default. But luckily I don't see any problem with USB 3.0 device after S3 mode.

Let me tell you more reasons not to buy AsRock.
                        - The UEFI don't support NTFS format
                        - The Instant Flash Program design is the worst.
                        - The UEFI even has the basic problem with "Discharge and Exit"
                        - The UEFI does not allow you to insert SLIC table without flashing ROM.
                        - The UEFI would create further problem if you use PS/2 Keyboard.
                        - The worst design in power saving.
                        - AsRock has hidden bugs with USB drive (not compatible)
                        - VBIOS NOT always up to date
                        - ME firmware NOT always up to date

Why I bought Z87E-ITX?
                        The answer is simple. Intel board has not released yet.
                        Are all these issues just with the Z87E-ITX board, or any ASRock board?

Instant Flash has worked great for me, different ASRock boards (three), never had a problem.

What does "Discard changes and Exit" do that is wrong?

Worst power saving design? In what way? The Tom's review of the Z87 Ex 6 board had the lowest power use of all the boards they tested in that review.

It is very common (Unfortunately) for drivers and firmware to be not updated in the download list of ALL mother board manufactures. IMO, ASRock did an above average job updating the RAID Option ROM and adding UEFI features for Windows 8, for the Z77 Ex 4 board.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                          Are all these issues just with the Z87E-ITX board, or any ASRock board?

Instant Flash has worked great for me, different ASRock boards (three), never had a problem.

What does "Discard changes and Exit" do that is wrong?

Worst power saving design? In what way? The Tom's review of the Z87 Ex 6 board had the lowest power use of all the boards they tested in that review.

It is very common (Unfortunately) for drivers and firmware to be not updated in the download list of ALL mother board manufactures. IMO, ASRock did an above average job updating the RAID Option ROM and adding UEFI features for Windows 8, for the Z77 Ex 4 board.
                          I can tell some of the above issues can apply in any ASRock board as I think the designs are similar. As for the hidden bug about USB drive, that's from old ASRock Board but not Z87E-ITX.

Instant Flash
                          The program Instant Flash (in Z87E-ITX Board) obviously just a simple program that did not consider more complex case. It do not allows you to borrow the file location. I just put the updated UEFI file in the USB HDD at root location, the Instant Flash searched for half hour and not allow me to stop when searching. When I point the mouse to the selected UEFI file with one click (I was just to want to select it with one click), it started to update without confirmation. This design really scared me.

Discard Changes and Exit
                          Do not allow me to exit the UEFI and reboot.

Power Saving Design
                          It is no doubt that the Hardware of Z87E-ITX is great. I'm extremely pleased with the hardware design. But I'm feeling bad with the software UEFI. From my view, the great UEFI design is to allow you having combination with Windows. For example, sleeping of Windows when away from computer. You may say you can just set it in the Windows. But I can tell Intel Board can do that without setting anything in Windows.

Firmware to be not updated in the download list
                          So that's why ASRock Board has that many trouble. I've experienced the trouble from the past to now when switch the Board between Intel and ASRock. For example, now this board the LAN has problem when transmitting large file to NAS. You may say that is the problem from Windows or drivers! Give you one more past example to compare with. That's about iDTV connecting. For the same chipset, when using ASRock Board, it would lose the setting of resolution of monitor when computer / monitor awake. I've even plug a display card but the problem exist. Still now I don't know why. By reason for the same chipset, I switched to Intel Board without formatting the Windows. So most of those setting should be the same. Then the problem solved. That's only one thing. More more and more case I have seen due to the BIOS / UEFI.

ASRock, for me, great design on hardware. But after many years when you look back, Intel Board's UEFI design is still outstanding but the ASRock UEFI's bugs would float out. At that time, the support may be stopped. The most famous case is the 2TB HDD support. In fact Intel's BIOS design have already solved it before 3~4 years ASRock release the solution.

Typed too much. End.

Comment

Dear all,

About the mSATA slot in system browser issue, we have released BIOS L1.71A to fix it.
                            Please download BIOS L1.71A from below link to try.
                            Link: ASRock > Z87E-ITX
                            Because SATA3_4 is shared with mSATA slot, SATA3_4 and mSATA slot will show detection together if connecting device to SATA3_ or mSATA slot.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
                            ASRock TSD
                            Emily

Comment

Thanks for the update. Any word on the apparent incompatibility of the Z87E-ITX w/ dual-PCB mSATA drives like the 480GB Boost Edge Pro. or 480GB Mushkin Atlas?

What about the issue with eSATA connected drives not appearing in the system browser?

Comment

Working...
                              X