Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help z87 extreme 6 overclock features

Hi ,
    Any expert here care to explain the oc features of this board .
    I am really confuse bout the settings.
    Jz trying to get 4.7 in water .
    But the temp is reaching 100c in 4.4ghz by using the pre oc 4.4ghz setring.
    Thanks

Re: need help z87 extreme 6 overclock features

Welcome to the world of Haswell!

It's a very different world for OCing the CPU, and since Haswell has been in the hands of PC enthusiasts for barely a week, we don't know the best way to OC it yet. Do I trust the automatic OC settings on Z87 boards yet... no I don't so far, but what is right or best is unknown yet IMO.

The high CPU temperature you have does seem common for Haswell CPUs. The reason for that seems to be (it is!) the voltage regulators that are now part of the CPU, which is a first for Intel or any CPU AFAIK.

The next thing I've noticed is the actual CPU core voltage, which is NOT the voltage supplied to the CPU from the mother board (yet another change from all previous Intel CPUs), does NOT need to be as high as it did with earlier CPUs. I run my i5-4670K at 4.2GHz, and the CPU core voltage is less than 1V, actually just under 0.900V. That is the lowest I've ever seen even for a moderate OC of 4.2GHz.

Right now, I would not dare tell you what to do, since I don't know yet.

What is the CPU core voltage set to now? What is your idle CPU core voltage? What is the idle CPU/core temperatures?

When you say "in water", what are you using as a CPU cooler? You haven't filled in your system specs, so we have no idea what you're using, which makes it much harder and slower to provide any help.

Comment

hi ,
      thanks for reply.
      ya i admit haswell look totally different in OC ,

Ambient = 29c
      the IDLE temp = 33C
      with all default setting full load = 65c
      it hits 99c when use preset 4.6ghz setting.

PC spec as follow
      i5 4670K with Switctech GTX 1/2" MCP655 360x2 RAD
      Z87 Extreme 6
      32 GB normal RAM (i didnt OC the ram )
      GTX 660ti (bios mod OC)
      1200w PSU
      Vertex 4 SSD 256GB

previous Ivy temp 1.3v 4.7ghz full load = 85C

really need to find out which is the Vcore(like ivy vcore) that affects the OC result ...
      i guess i attempted the unnecessary volt to increase the temp to 100c....sigh ......

Comment

OMG, with a 360mm radiator (360x2 means two of them?) and I assume at least three 120mm fans, you still had CPU temps at 100C?!

That picture is not just you, it is ALL of us if that is how hot Haswell CPUs get even with a full blown water cooling system!!

Of course, you can't tell what the actual Vcore is with the ASRock utilities, since it does not display it correctly. CPU-Z will show the actual Vcore, which it now calls Core Voltage, which is appropriate given the new design Haswell uses for supplying power to the CPU.

I haven't tried the auto OC settings yet, but I'll check them out.

Comment

You should have a read through this article to start: 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform | Overclockers ... you may have a poor overclocker to start with, and that article provides a guide on how to establish what your CPU may not be capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiari View Post
            You should have a read through this article to start: 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform | Overclockers ... you may have a poor overclocker to start with, and that article provides a guide on how to establish what your CPU may not be capable of.
            While that is a great article I have the same problem as the OP. I don't understand much of what is going on in the BIOS. It's been 5 years since I had a new cpu to play with so there's a lot of new stuff to learn. I tried following that article but when I manually set everything in the bios my multiplier would revert back to stock once entering windows. I tried a few different things (can't recall exactly what atm) but nothing stuck so I've just been using the auto OC feature @ 4ghz and it's been running fine. If anyone could help with a basic guide to get started overclocking on this board or could direct me to one already made I would be forever appreciative. Google has returned very few results, this thread being the best of them. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

EDIT: Naturally, I go into the bios, set voltage at 1.25, multi at 46 and boom, no problems (only stressed for 10 mins so far though). I did set it at the 4.6 auto setting and took the voltage down from the 1.3 suggested. Using bios 1.40 atm. Anyway, a guide would be really nice for all the funky settings in the OC Tweak section of the bios, and what CPU features should be turned off etc.
            Last edited by DasCheese; 07-06-2013, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I wrote this on these forums before, that was sort of a hijacked thread though and a while ago. Here's a revision:

Other than going by the info in 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform | Overclockers, what I've found to be a good way to get to a stable overclock on my Haswell 4770K on the AsRock Z87 Extreme 6 is this:

- Get your memory to default (auto) settings.

- Choose a default OC profile in UEFI based on the clock you determined using the 3-step guide above, and boot into Windows. If it won't boot into Windows, pick the next lower OC preset.

- For your initial OC settings and as per the 3 step guide, you probably want to use the "override" voltage setting, as you have only one value to work with which simplifies things a little.

- Using , lower the voltage, run a stress test for 5-10 min, if it's stable save that profile, lower voltage again, etc. Repeat this until you start crashing, and you should now have an overclock with basic stability. On each step, lower the voltage by about 20mV (.020V) or so. I used 10mV, but that was a lot of repetition to get to the lower voltage. Make sure the CPU doesn't start throttling; if it does, you probably have too much voltage (the CPU is getting too hot). Once it starts throttling the speed penalty is massive, so you don't want any throttling. If the voltage can't be lowered while still keeping it stable, you'll have to lower the clock.

- Use the AIDA64 Stability Test to determine whether the overclock is still stable. If you lowered the voltages etc as far as you can with XTU, you'll probably crash at this stage as AIDA64 seems a bit more aggressive. You'll have to up the voltage a little, and do so until AIDA64 is stable as well. You'll probably see higher temperatures from AIDA64 stability testing than from XTU stress testing, but you won't see these temperatures in regular day to day use.

- Finally, encode a feature length movie with Handbrake. It is likely this will crash you again, but if it doesn't, you've most likely reached good stability at the given clock. Again if it crashes, increase the voltage a bit and try again.

- Now that you found the settings to use through XTU, you can take a note of these (through either your saved profile on hwbot on another computer or phone, or write them down) and dial them in to the bios accordingly.

- At this point you could work on getting the maximum out of your memory as well, though you won't see major benefits there.

- If you still see crashes after, nudge the voltage up a little again. You may also want to play with the "uncore" (CPU Cache multiplier) frequency, the general recommendation is to keep it at around 0.3GHz to 0.1GHz lower than the core clock. Mine is at 44x with a 46x clock.

Since you seem to be stable at 4.6GHz, you can also try importing my OC profile from XTU and work with that for the steps above, you can find it here: Shiari @ HWBOT ... the latest there is with the 1.90 bios by the way, which has been working great for me (it is a bit faster than 1.40). I also posted a set of screenshots from the UEFI settings recently: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...tml#post459903

Hope this helps!

Comment

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply but it's been a busy week so far. That's a handy little guide you made. I didn't follow it exactly but I did start by loading up the default auto 4.6 OC and tweaked it a bit. I've been sitting at 4.5ghz (in windows now, it's not reverting, not sure why it was to begin with) with 1.25v for a few days now with no problems. I had a hard reset at 4.6 while playing some DayZ so I set it back to 4.5 and it has been fine ever since. Anyway, thanks for your help and I will definitely suggest others with this board take a look at your method.

One thing though is that I was really looking for an explanation of what the settings in the bios actually mean. For example, what is CPU load line calibration? Never heard of that before. CPU Analog IO Voltage offset...wth is that?! Internal PLL Overvoltage, Long Duration Power Limit, Primary Plane Current Limit, that kind of stuff might as well be hieroglyphics to me. Also, what about Speedstep, TurboBoost and power states? Do any of those affect stability? The last board/cpu I overclocked was a 780i and a QX9650 so I've been out of the game for a really long time. Overclocking has changed quite a bit since then. It seems like I have a pretty good Haswell here and I'd really like to get the most out of it, though 4.5 on air seems like it's pretty damn good from what I've been reading.
                Last edited by DasCheese; 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X