Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z77 Extrme4 All Core Multiplier and RAM Overclocking Issue

Hello, everyone.

I purchased this motherboard on 4/10/13, and had no issues when I first set everything up. At this time I was using BIOS version 2.70. I had both my i5 3570k CPU overclocked to 4.1Ghz (stable), and my Corsair Sport DDR 1600 RAM at 1866 MHz (stable.) Now, the All Core CPU multiplier seems to have a virtual limit of 38. If I enter anything above 38 into this All Core field, it will immediately change itself back to 38. My RAM also is not able to be clocked above the stock speed.

Here is the basics of what got me here:

About a week after everything was built, I went to turn on the computer and the case power light and power supply would come on, but the motherboard would not. I re-seated the main power cable (Although it seemed fine at the time), and that issue was resolved. The next day I noticed that when I would shut Windows off, the motherboard and fans would all stay running after shutdown. I also noticed while checking power settings, that my CPU ratio was now set to 38. I attempted to change it and noticed the virtual limit mentioned above.

To fix this issue, I decided to try to update the BIOS from the update utility within UEFI. It froze at "Processing Crashless Update," and crashed. I downloaded the 2.80 firmware from the ASRock website, and was able to flash it to 2.80 using a flash drive. Still, the same problem. I tried several other older BIOS versions, which also did not work. I have tried resetting the CMOS with the button, and also by removing the battery. Still, no change.

From quite a bit of research, I found someone else who had this issue. Basically, they said that ASRock replaced their BIOS chip, and the problem would be temporarily resolved, only to come back again. I spoke with ASRock technical support, and they said the same thing. They would send me a BIOS chip. I sent them all the requested information 3 days ago, but have yet to get a response. I DO NOT understand what replacing the BIOS chip could possibly solve if I can successfully flash the BIOS. I believe this issue may have something to do with the Intel Management Engine firmware being corrupted, but am not sure. I have updated it via Windows, but still, no change. I don't think this is actually flashing the chip, rather just installing the drivers for Windows. I tried using the Intel Flashing Utility for the firmware, but I get an error. Basically, I do not believe I have anything more than read rights on this chip. From what I have read, this seems to vary by motherboard.

I would prefer to actually fix this issue without returning the motherboard, as ASRock doesn't do advanced replacement. Has anyone else experienced this issue, or have an idea of how I can fix it?

Thanks for reading this long-winded post, and I appreciate your help!
    Last edited by Obsolete81; 05-15-2013, 06:01 PM.

Re: ASRock Z77 Extrme4 All Core Multiplier and RAM Overclocking Issue

Oh, my. I cannot believe how well your description fits with my problem. About 2 days ago, the motherboard started to stay on after either shutdown or sleep. Then I cleared the CMOS and that problem seems to have gone sway, but I started having the same problem as you do, except that for me the multiplier cap seems to be 37 instead, and my RAMs can only be clocked below the factory defaults at 1333/1066. Oh, and it happened after I flashed the 2.8 BIOS. I likewise have tried everything and I've got no clue why this is happening.
    I've searched for it on Google and it seems no one has come up with a solid solution.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWen View Post
      Oh, my. I cannot believe how well your description fits with my problem. About 2 days ago, the motherboard started to stay on after either shutdown or sleep. Then I cleared the CMOS and that problem seems to have gone sway, but I started having the same problem as you do, except that for me the multiplier cap seems to be 37 instead, and my RAMs can only be clocked below the factory defaults at 1333/1066. Oh, and it happened after I flashed the 2.8 BIOS. I likewise have tried everything and I've got no clue why this is happening.
      I've searched for it on Google and it seems no one has come up with a solid solution.
      Sorry to hear you have the same issue. It is insanely frustrating. If I find an answer, I will be sure to post it here. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Obsolete81 View Post
        Sorry to hear you have the same issue. It is insanely frustrating. If I find an answer, I will be sure to post it here. Good Luck!
        appreciate it, mate. good luck.

Comment

Hey mate, the problem's gone for me. I had to contact Asrock technical support to get 2 replacement BIOS chips (as if they were expecting the problem to reappear as in the case of some folks...) I haven't found any other solution to the problem, so I suggest that you'd do the same.

Comment

Hmmm, I'm hesitant to upgrade my BIOS now. I'm running a 2600K, have been since August of last year on this board. I believe mine shipped with BIOS version 1.30. I setup the PC, windows 7 Pro, and a EVGA GTX 560Ti, overclocked the CPU to 4.4 Ghz, RAM is XMP at 1866. This works great! I updated the BIOS to 1.40 and I could never, after the update, complete WEI without the PC locking up. I would update WEI whenever I updated my Nvidia drivers. At the time I had found a couple others with this same issue (PC locking up with BIOS 1.40 and the GTX 560 video card). I believe ASRock issued a version 1.7 soon after, so I updated again. My problem still continued. They released 1.80, but I didn't try it. I went back to 1.30 and have been there, satisfied ever since. I believe 1.30 supports Ivy Bridge processors, might be worth a try, considering you'll have a current bios chip to install, should 1.30 not have ivy bridge support.
            Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
            i7-2600k i7-2600k
            G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
            Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
            EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
            Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
            Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Comment

Working...
            X