Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new build z77 extreme4 won't detect SSD

Re: new build z77 extreme4 won't detect SSD

Did you check to see if the SSD is recognized in the BIOS?

Have a mechanical HDD?
    Is that recognized?

Comment

Did you try using different sata power cables and connectors?
      I think that your psu has two different sata power cables, one with two connectors and one with three connectors.
      There might be a problem with one of the sata power cables or one of the sata power connectors.

Test your Samsung ssd with each of the five sata power connectors.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by therube View Post
        Did you check to see if the SSD is recognized in the BIOS?

Have a mechanical HDD?
        Is that recognized?
        Yes checked bios. Says 'no device conneced'
        No i don't have hdd.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
          Did you try using different sata power cables and connectors?
          I think that your psu has two different sata power cables, one with two connectors and one with three connectors.
          There might be a problem with one of the sata power cables or one of the sata power connectors.

Test your Samsung ssd with each of the five sata power connectors.
          Didn't even think of this. I will test tonght when i back home. Will let you guys know soon. Thanks

Comment

That's strange, I use SSDs with this board, including 840 Pro, and they are always recognized, and using Windows 8 too.

So that SSD is not seen in the UEFI? Are you trying to install Windows 8 on it?

It sounds like you are using the Intel SATA III ports, which are the two below the other two gray ports at the top of the stack of SATA ports, correct?

I've read that the SATA power connections on your CX500 can be defective, and difficult to connect. Try another SATA power plug or use the other SATA power cable, and be sure the connector is seated correctly. BE CAREFUL, as the SATA power connector on SSDs is NOT very strong, and can be easily bent and damaged.

Comment

Or if worse comes to worse, test with another power supply!!
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Or if worse comes to worse, test with another power supply!!
                Good point, a new PS is always an unknown, and the Newegg reviews of this PS indicate a fair amount of DOA units, and other problems.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  That's strange, I use SSDs with this board, including 840 Pro, and they are always recognized, and using Windows 8 too.

So that SSD is not seen in the UEFI? Are you trying to install Windows 8 on it?

It sounds like you are using the Intel SATA III ports, which are the two below the other two gray ports at the top of the stack of SATA ports, correct?

I've read that the SATA power connections on your CX500 can be defective, and difficult to connect. Try another SATA power plug or use the other SATA power cable, and be sure the connector is seated correctly. BE CAREFUL, as the SATA power connector on SSDs is NOT very strong, and can be easily bent and damaged.
                  Correct. It's not seen on UEFI.
                  And yes i'm gonna install win8 onto this ssd from fresh win8 usb install media.
                  I NOW suspect the power cable too.

Comment

hi everyone.
                    Just wanna follow up.

Changing power connector method has been failed!
                    I did each and every combination/settings with all the 5 power connectors.
                    Still can see SSD hooked up via Thermaltake' usb docking station but windows 8 won't install to external usb disk drive.
                    hmmm...

btw, good news is that the Asrock support center has responded tonight and send following email.

<Hi,
                    Please download the parted magic application and fully erase after that please try connect it on mainboard again, http://partedmagic.com/doku.<wbr>php?id=downloads
                    only thing connect on the mainboard is HD(SSD), one stick of memory module, one optical drive. Please connect the video cable on back of mainboard.

Insert the window 8 media and start the window installation .
                    >

I don't understand how it works but will try anyway.
                    They probably think this is MOBO related issue.

Just stay in tuned until I fix it.
                    Any suggestions are always welcome.

Comment

It's possible, but unlikely that all five sata power connectors are bad.
                      I've seen several different psu reviews by customers where they had great difficulty connecting sata power cables to their ssd's.

Once you have erased your ssd using the Parted Magic boot CD/USB, ASRock TSD wants you to use a minimal hardware setup where your now empty boot drive, your ssd, will be the only writable drive attached to your system and you should use the Intel Sata3_0 port for your boot drive.

Parsec is the win8 know it all .... strike that .... he's the win8 guru (1st class) that can best help you setup your win8 boot drive.
                      Last edited by profJim; 04-24-2013, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Still can see SSD hooked up via Thermaltake' usb docking station but windows 8 won't install to external usb disk drive.
                        I believe that is correct & expected.
                        See, NT 6.x fast installer: install win7 directly to usb external drive. (Also note the differentiation between USB "Flash" drive & USB "hard disk".)
                        (Not sure if that also applies to Win8, though I'd suspect...?)

Comment

It's possible, but unlikely that all five sata power connectors are bad.
                          I've seen several different psu reviews by customers where they had great difficulty connecting sata power cables to their ssd's.

Once you have erased your ssd using the Parted Magic boot CD/USB, ASRock TSD wants you to use a minimal hardware setup where your now empty boot drive, your ssd, will be the only writable drive attached to your system and you should use the Intel Sata3_0 port for your boot drive.

Parsec is the win8 know it all .... strike that .... he's the win8 guru (1st class) that can best help you setup your win8 boot drive.
                          That is, if the SSD is seen by Parted Magic, since apparently that SSD could not be seen in the UEFI/BIOS, but seems to be working in a USB external enclosure.

Since I find SATA power cables from power supply's annoying, I use adapters, four pin molex to SATA power, usually one molex to two SATA power plugs. Just another way to test if the SATA power cable is bad.

If none of the SATA power connectors worked on the cable, that would mean a major fault in the PS, as if the cable was not connected. SSDs only use the 5V rail of a SATA power cable. If an external USB case can get that SSD going, I'm still thinking it's something to do with the PS, including the SATA power connectors. It's times like these I wish SSDs had a power LED, which a (very) few do.

I don't think we've suggested clearing the CMOS/BIOS yet, which won't hurt anything, so worth a try.

Thanks... I think... ya know, even after I've defended Windows 8 in this and other forums, to actually see that in writing, makes me feel... weird. I'm not sure that I qualify as even a gu

BTW therube, I think you are right about the Windows installation failing on a USB drive (except Windows to Go), which would include Windows 8 too. That is probably a pirating thing, to stop it, since the USB protocol is simpler than SATA.
                          Last edited by parsec; 04-24-2013, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I am currently having a similar problem with the same mobo but a Samsung 830 128gb drive. It will boot after setting for some time, but will not reboot or even restart other times. Once it is up and running it is stable.

On Tom's hardware they mention using the intel ports for the SSD and turning off the Asmedia Bios. The author of that problem said it worked. I will try it after my computer has been off for a length of time and actually starts. My worry is that once the bios restarts, it will go back to the same black screen.

New technology can be such a bother, but the Samsung SSD for only $75 dollars seemed so alluring. Trading off speed for reliability doesn't seem like a good bargain unless I can solve this one.

Comment

I highly doubt your Samsung 830 is the problem, they are well known to be one of it not the most reliable SSDs available. Don't forget there are literally thousands of 830's in use, personally I have... eight 830's in various capacities, and they have worked flawlessly for me. SSDs are not new technology anymore, I've used them as OS drives exclusively for three years now, and would not use a HDD again for that application.

OTOH, the ASMedia SATA interface is not as reliable as the Intel SATA interface is, as well as not performing at all at the level of the Intel interface. You haven't listed any of your other hardware or OS, or what SATA mode you are using, and SATA drivers.

I would highly suggest using the Intel SATA ports for your SSD, and use the ASMedia ports for less critical usage. Frankly, I would never use the ASMedia ports for an OS drive, and I have the ASMedia controller disabled, I don't use it. Your 830 is not the only variable in the equation, the SATA interface, driver, and version of Windows are all important factors.

Comment

Working...
                              X