Extreme7 Gem3 Ultra Fast Boot with Asus GTX680-DC2-4GD5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme7 Gem3 Ultra Fast Boot with Asus GTX680-DC2-4GD5

Hello, I have an Extreme7 Gen3 mobo, 16gb ram, & Windows 8 booting EFI (GPT Raid10 volume). I have an Asus GTX680-DC2-4GD5 with VBios update applied (supports UEFI GOP). When Windows8 starts up with Ultra Fast Boot enabled I get the Windows8 splash screen's circle of dots, but the dots complete half a circle and the PC locks up. I've tried it with CSM enabled (default) and disabled. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Undermoose; 04-19-2013, 04:53 AM.

Re: Extreme7 Gem3 Ultra Fast Boot with Asus GTX680-DC2-4GD5

I'm guessing you have a Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3 board, you did not really specify. What CPU and UEFI version are you using?

ASRock boards have been (correctly) using the CSM option as the switch for selecting UEFI booting or legacy BIOS booting.

CSM enabled is legacy BIOS booting. CSM disabled is UEFI booting. A Windows 8 installation done in UEFI mode can start in legacy BIOS mode.

Does the lock up only happen with Ultra Fast boot enabled?

Your board, which I assume to be the one above, only has two UEFI firmware versions available now, 2.10 and 2.30. I can't see the earlier updates, to see if the RAID Option ROM was updated, to an EFI-support OROM. I noticed that your board does not have an Intel RAID driver listed for Windows 8, which IMO implies the OROM was not updated.

My ASR Z77 board had a RAID EFI support OROM update, to an 11.6 OROM, and lists the IRST 11.7 RAID driver, compatible with Windows 8. Any idea which OROM your board has when you UEFI boot? What version of IRST are you using? My board now has two OROMs, one for legacy BIOS booting, 11.2, and one for UEFI booting, 11.6.

I'm guessing that the OROM you have now may not allow Ultra Fast boot. Frankly, when UEFI booting (CSM disabled), the difference in startup time between Fast and Ultra Fast boot is no more than two seconds, if that much (using SSDs.)

Comment

Re: Extreme7 Gem3 Ultra Fast Boot with Asus GTX680-DC2-4GD5

Z68 Extreme7 Gen3, yes.

On a separate issue, as fate would have it I managed to apparently end the life of my motherboard sound chip....I RMA'd my Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 motherboard.

I purchased a Z77 Extreme9 :)

New tech is new tech, Ultrafast Boot works flawlessly on the Z77 Extreme9.
      Last edited by Undermoose; 04-26-2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X