New Build problem, 5 beeps, Dr Debug shows d6, d7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build problem, 5 beeps, Dr Debug shows d6, d7

I have seen some other posts about this but have seen some differing opinions so I just wanted to ask directly what could cause this error.

ASRock z77 Extreme 4
    Intel i5-3350p
    2 each of 8gb Corsair DDR3
    2 each Asus HD 7770 1 GB cards
    Seagate 1TB HDD

Starts up, Debug counts through some numbers. 5 beeps and then d6, d7 show up. No video output.

I have tried removing on Asus from the mix. I have tried hooking up monitor to all ports. If I understand the beep codes posted on ASRock site then the problem is VGA recognition, yes?

What do I do then? This is my first build, so forgive me for sounding like a noob. Thanks.

Re: New Build problem, 5 beeps, Dr Debug shows d6, d7

Power Supply: 550w ?

Is that to mean it is of unknown make and model?

Was the board new, vs used? Have you tried clearing the BIOS?

Yes, I see the 3350P. Meaning no on-die Intel HD graphics. What KB and mouse are you using? Tried it with a bone standard no frills KB and mouse?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

PSU is Logisys, dual fan, model is PS550A-BK, support for ATX 20/24, dual SATA.

Mobo is brand spanking new.

Absolutely no frills Dell Keyboard, and honestly and have not bothered to hook up mouse yet...

Have not tried clearing BIOS. Again, hate to sound noobish but how would I do that if I can not clear POST? I know this MOBO has some good CMOS and BIOS features. I will look into that while I wait for more responses... Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by g0dsweed View Post
        PSU is Logisys, dual fan, model is PS550A-BK, support for ATX 20/24, dual SATA.

Mobo is brand spanking new.

Absolutely no frills Dell Keyboard, and honestly and have not bothered to hook up mouse yet...

Have not tried clearing BIOS. Again, hate to sound noobish but how would I do that if I can not clear POST? I know this MOBO has some good CMOS and BIOS features. I will look into that while I wait for more responses... Thanks.
        Your manual explains how to clear the BIOS. Online, it can be viewed from ASRock > Z77 Extreme4 > Manual. You can try the quick and dirty way first if you'll look on the backside of your case at the MB's rear I/O panel.

The manuals explanation for Error D7 might give you pause about not also having a mouse connected.

It's been repeated hundreds of thousand of times. RTFM. That's why the manufacturer includes one in every box. It's not there to increase the shipping weight.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Ok, just peeked at the specs for your PSU. LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK 550Watts ATX12V Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 Pin connectors. - Newegg.com

Nicely I'll say this but I don't have much faith in it powering your system and two 7770's. The power rails on it, 3.3v 5v 12v, are configured for older generation MB/processors. Light in the 12v and heavier on the 5v and 3.3v lines.

Consider the PSU as THE most important part of your computer. Akin to a house. It's only as strong as the foundation it is built upon.

If it's within your budget to replace it say so. We here can offer to link you to far better PSU's that may fall within your allowed budget and be practical for the system you have assembled.

Comment

I get your point. I did read the manual, hence the reason why I knew the mobo had such features, but point taken. I have done this. It did not help.

I think I have figured out my problem anyway. I feel like an %$# but I will go ahead and show my work...

Those damn graphic cards require PCI-express power cables, eh? I have to guess that is the POST code 5 beeps for, "GPU's need more power idiot".

This is probably my problem, yes?

Wow am I going to feel dumb...

And yes, go ahead and suggest another PSU, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by g0dsweed View Post
              Those damn graphic cards require PCI-express power cables, eh?
              Ha! Don't feel like you're the first one to do that. I've done it on many previous and not so previous occasions. :) ...... Like just last week. As a matter of fact it's happened so many times on builds here it's the first thing outta my Wife's mouth when she see's me storming about here *****ing about no video. "Did you connect the power to the video card?" Grrrrr, it's unnerving to hear that from her, even when she is correct.

Speaking of Wives, I better go spend some time with her this Friday night.

What kind of PSU budget are we allowing here?

Comment

Well considering I just blew $20 on that Logisys crap--which will probably end up in someone else's PC the next time a family member or friend's PC dies. Would doubling the budget be enough? Or should I expect to triple it? I am the type to run machine all day, everyday doing calculations even while I am at my day job...

Budget aside, it sure would be nice to get a PSU with both PCI-e power connectors I need...
                Last edited by g0dsweed; 04-12-2013, 10:14 PM.

Comment

When someone does not try to hide their inexperience, that indicates they are mature and that inspires respect in others, so not to worry, you're fine. Building your own PC for the first time is a learning experience, with a few surprises along the way, as you have seen already.

A good PC power supply for $60, with your power requirements is still low, sorry to say. You are looking at $80 - $100, unless you can find a good sale. As wardog said, the PS is the heart of a PC, and the performance of everything else depends on it. Current hardware like you have uses less power than in the past, with one exception, video cards. They can be the highest power consuming component in a PC, and usually are. Using two cards means more power is needed, as well as the need to remove the heat they produce. I looked up your Logisys PS, and it states in the details it does NOT support Crossfire.

Checking the "reference" AMD listing for a 7770, we find this power requirement: AMD Radeon

For two cards, we find 600 Watts minimum. But that will have a 600W PS running at its max power, so its fan will be running at full speed, and it will create more heat and noise. That is why higher power units are used, so they won't be stressed as much.

You could use one card now with your current PS, but if it does not have PCIe power cables, there are adapters that you could try. Since you are starting this PC for the first time, don't use two cards, that just adds complexity and more things to go wrong. Use one at first and add the second one when your PC is running fine.

Note on the AMD page they provide a list of certified power supplies. That's a good list to work with. Start searching through Newegg for a good price on a ~700W PS. The Rosewill line has some good models. If you have a Tiger Direct/CompUSA near you, check them out too.

Comment

Well. I sure have learned quite a bit here in just the last few hours. I thought I did some research before I started this whole thing, but apparently not enough.

I will be visiting a store tomorrow and will update this thread. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Settled on Corsair CX750. Installed and booted with no problems. BIOS settings look good. Now on to the OS and to test successful Crossfire.

Thank you guys for your help and advice. I may have lost my mind without the calming effect of knowing someone else was trying to help.

Comment

Working...
                      X