Z77 Pro4 refuses to let me overclock i5-3570K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 Pro4 refuses to let me overclock i5-3570K

Hello, I've been going around to forums hoping someone has a solution but none found so far. For the record I already emailed ASRock tech support but haven't received a response. I have a Z77 Pro-4 and an i5-3570K (yes, I'm sure it's K) processor. When I go into the bios (1.7, the newest) it doesn't let me increase the CPU multiplier above 38, which basically means I can't overclock the CPU. Every time I put in a higher number it defaults immediate to 38 when I move out of the setting. ASRock windows software does the same thing - the slider only goes up to 38.

Certain options/settings also seem to be missing in the BIOS. For example for "CPU ratio" I can only select "Auto" or "All Core," there is no option for "Per Core." The is also no Turbo Boost Voltage setting, which is supposed to appear directly under the "Intel Turbo Boost Technology" setting when enabled.

Also, I can use the automated overclock settings "Advanced Turbo 30" and "Load Optimized CPU OC Setting" and it correctly increases the CPU Turbo Speed and CPU Ratio in the BIOS, but when I go into Windows and try Prime95 the CPU is running at default clocks, not the OC shown in the BIOS. The BIOS seems to be lying?

I've already tried flashing to older BIOS (1.6, 1.5) and resetting CMOS and power cycling. None of it helps. The CPU multiplier cannot be moved past 38. Help please!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130411_164214.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	756166

Re: Z77 Pro4 refuses to let me overclock i5-3570K

Hey guys here's an update if anyone else is experiencing this. DO NOT upgrade the BIOS to v1.7. I think that is what screwed things up. I bought a new board that was at v1.4, and upgraded to v1.5 just to get my graphics card to work, and ALL the CPU settings are there and functional. On my original card I upgraded right to 1.7, and I think that's why CPU BIOS features disappeared and got screwed up. I think I'll be keeping my BIOS at 1.5 since everything is working now!

Comment

You seem to be the first person with an issue with BIOS 1.70, which has been available since 2/8/13. That's over two months, and if 1.70 was bad, we would have many more posts about it. I don't use your board, so I can't say 1.70 is fine, or bad, but don't you think others would have noticed this basic issue by now? It's more likely you had a bad flash for some reason, or your BIOS chip is bad.

Do you still have the board with the corrupted 1.70 BIOS? It's possible to replace the BIOS chip on the board. You could also remove the board's battery for a while, and use the clear CMOS jumper on the board for a full CMOS clear. Then download 1.70 again and flash it again, Instant Flash has always worked perfectly for me.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        You seem to be the first person with an issue with BIOS 1.70, which has been available since 2/8/13. That's over two months, and if 1.70 was bad, we would have many more posts about it. I don't use your board, so I can't say 1.70 is fine, or bad, but don't you think others would have noticed this basic issue by now? It's more likely you had a bad flash for some reason, or your BIOS chip is bad.

Do you still have the board with the corrupted 1.70 BIOS? It's possible to replace the BIOS chip on the board. You could also remove the board's battery for a while, and use the clear CMOS jumper on the board for a full CMOS clear. Then download 1.70 again and flash it again, Instant Flash has always worked perfectly for me.
        I'm sorry to disapoint you , but I have the same problem as the guy who made thread.

I use Azrock extreme4.

Since a few days, I am doing Overclock to find good sweat spot ( I want to reach 4.8 and stabilize it )..

I was very near my goal, crash after 25min of prime.. i went into the bios, i though about trying 4.9GHz just for fun.. i rebooted.. had not enough power to boot into windows, i had to do jumper because it was not even workign in bios. ( i did jumper thing probly 15-20times so far)

That time, it was one time too much.. when i went inside the bios, the cpu per core option was gone!!

Same problem as this guy, the option was just gone, and then it ****ed up my profile save because i used per core to be able to disable turbo boost. . . .

I don't know if its because of the recent bios update I did, or if its just the bios having trouble, but I must confirm the same problem as that guy, and I do not even have the same board!

Comment

Originally posted by olivierg View Post
          I'm sorry to disapoint you , but I have the same problem as the guy who made thread.
          Why would I be disappointed? If you have the same problem that he does, that means his and your BIOS are both bad, and I'm wrong about that? I hope the 1.70 BIOS is not bad, since I don't want users of that board to have problems. That is what is important.

If you read my post, I wrote I don't know if the Z77 Pro 4's 1.70 BIOS is bad or fine, but if it had the problem he described, being unable to change the multiplier, many owners of the Z77 Pro 4 board would be posting about it. BIOS 1.70 is two months old, and if it was bad, where are all the posts from other owners about it?

You may have the same problem, but the cause is not the same. Yours was caused by a failed OC, the first post said nothing about a CPU OC.

Comment

Working...
          X