monitor won't wake after S3 sleep with GTX 660 Ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitor won't wake after S3 sleep with GTX 660 Ti

My monitor remains in standby after the PC resumes from S3 sleep. I have to physically unplug the monitor from the graphics card and then plug it back; then it wakes up (but my open windows have shrunk, because the PC temporarily reverted to some lower-resolution display during the wake-up process, even though the full 2600x1600 resolution is restored when the monitor does wake up).

* eVGA GTX 660 Ti (314.22, latest driver)
    * ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (2.80, latest BIOS)
    * I7-3770K
    * 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600
    * OCZ Agility 3 SSD
    * Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (all updates installed)
    * No overclocking is in use.
    * Dell 3007WFP monitor (2500x1600), DVI connection

Some diagnostic details:

* All other sleep/wake behavior on the PC works properly.
    * The monitor problem usually does not occur if the PC sleeps for only ten seconds or so before waking. But if it's more than a minute, the problem usually occurs.
    * The problem does not occur when resuming from S4 hibernation, or when rebooting.
    * The problem occurs whether or not I disable IGPU Multi-Monitor in the BIOS.
    * My GTX card is in slot PCIE2, as recommended. I've also tried the other PCIe slot.
    * If I connect my monitor to the onboard GPU instead of to my GTX 660, the problem does not occur.
    * I've tried a different (more basic, lower resolution) monitor, and the same problem occurs.

* This problem does not occur when I use the same GTX 660 card with my old motherboard (a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, I7-950). It only happens when I use the Extreme4 motherboard.
    * The problem also does not occur if I use my old GTX 260 card with my new Extreme4 motherboard.

If anyone else here is using a 600-series graphics card with an ASRock Z77 board, can you report whether sleep/resume works properly for you?

Re: monitor won't wake after S3 sleep with GTX 660 Ti

I'm using the same board and UEFI/BIOS version as you, and have used a GTX 650 card, but I did not have a problem waking from Sleep. But, your GTX 660 TI card is a new model, using a different chip (I think) than my 650, which also means a different VBIOS on the card. I'm NOT blaming the card, just saying it is different.

Your wake from Sleep issue with the failing video is a common Sleep failure, which plagued the earlier Intel P67 chipset and was never fixed. The Z77 chipset does not normally have this problem so I would not worry about that.

It seems that ASRock boards/BIOS tend to have more compatibility issues with video cards than other boards, and there have been a fair amount of BIOS updates by ASRock to fix the problems. I suggest contacting the ASRock person (TSD Emily, whose exact ID I can't find right now) that monitors this forum about this issue, and I have seen ASRock supply a tweaked BIOS that fixes video card issues, although they are usually fixes for complete incompatibility.

With all the things I tried with my P67's board's wake from Sleep issues, I cannot believe I never tried unplugging and plugging in the video cable again!

It's interesting to me that Hibernate works while Sleep doesn't. We are told the only difference is the image stored in RAM is also written to disk. But I wonder if the VBIOS is run again when waking from Hibernate? I've seen BIOS' that have an option to run the VBIOS on a wake up event, but our board does not have this as I recall.

The wake problem was also related to certain power supply's, what kind do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      The wake problem was also related to certain power supply's, what kind do you use?
      Power supply is Thermaltake TR2 600W, brand new.

Eric at tech support just emailed me and said he tested the Extreme4 with an Asus GTX 660Ti (mine is EVGA rather than ASUS, but shouldn't matter), and had no problem. So maybe I just have a defective board. But I'm hesitating to return it because of all the work involved (especially removing the CPU). But maybe it's the only solution.

(Thanks for your reply!)

Comment

I exchanged my Extreme4 board for a new one (same model) and the new one works fine so far--no problems with sleep/wake with my GTX 660 Ti card.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary902 View Post
          I exchanged my Extreme4 board for a new one (same model) and the new one works fine so far--no problems with sleep/wake with my GTX 660 Ti card.
          I have the exact same symptoms with my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4. I bought and returned two 660TI cards, one 680, and now I have a 780. Can you confirm no more problems since you swapped the motherboard?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by solaris8402 View Post
            I have the exact same symptoms with my Asrock Z77 Extreme 4. I bought and returned two 660TI cards, one 680, and now I have a 780. Can you confirm no more problems since you swapped the motherboard?
            Thanks!
            Yes, it's been working perfectly.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply,

I did swap out my motherboard for a new one. but the same result.
              OLD SN 2BM0XD.......... OLD PN 90-MXGKX0-A0UAYZ
              New SN 31M0XD.......... New PN 90-MXGKX0-AOUAYZ

Can you send the PN of your setup? I'm guessing that you have an updated PN, maybe I can RMA for the same.

I did confirm that all the same hardware works perfectly with a new Asrock Z87 extreme 4 and 4770K. I cant really justify the added cost however.

many thanks!

Comment

Sorry, my new SN prefix and PN match yours exactly. (My old SN prefix and PN also match your old board.) So the defect is not tied to (or fixed by) a particular part number.

Whatever is going on, I sympathize. It's frustrating when something almost works but doesn't. Good luck sorting it out.

Comment

Working...
                X