Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with H77 Pro4-M 'Restart to UEFI' and 'Intel Rapid Start'

My build

Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.4ghz (Ivybridge)
    AsRock H77 Pro4-M
    16gb Corsair Vengeance Memory
    Asus AMD 7850 GGDR5 2Gb
    Akasa Venom 550w Modular PSU (80w+)
    Samsung 840 Pro 128gb x 2 in RAID 0 Array
    Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

Since I installed the Samsungs in array I am unable to use the Restart to UEFI option, I can install it, but when I try to run the programme it says "Driver cannot be loaded, re-install the program may fix the issue, if it happens again, report the problem with your system configuration as detail as possible" then "This utility is not for this platform".

However, this was working on my old Crucial V4 ssd. I have tried reinstalling a few times and re booting and this has not solved the problem. I don't have a clue why this isn't working, any ideas?

The second problem I have been having is installing the Intel Rapidstart function. This hasn't worked on my first ssd configuration or with my new Samsungs either. I can install the first utility and create a 8gb partition, however when I try to install the second driver it gives me "Computer does not meet minimum requirements". Is this something to do with the maximum partition size of 8gb being smaller than my 16gb of RAM?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

Re: Problems with H77 Pro4-M 'Restart to UEFI' and 'Intel Rapid Start'

UPDATE

Just updated my bios to the latest version which didn't make any difference the restart to Restart to UEFI still allows me to install but the programme won't run.

However, I did try removing one of my 8gb sticks so I was just running 8gb of RAM, the Intel Rapidstart utility allowed me to install. I am assuming this is because my RAM corresponded with the 8gb partition it had created with my SSD. However once I re-insterted my 8gb back in there and booted with 16gb of RAM, the RapidStart programe popped up with an error message. Is there a way around this e.g. creating a 16gb partition?

Comment

Do you have Windows 8 installed for UEFI booting? That is, formatted as GPT, and installed with CSM disabled? Fast Boot set to Ultra Fast? That is the configuration for using the Restart to UEFI utility, which is used because in this configuration, you can't get into the UEFI/BIOS without it.

Intel Rapid Start is very similar to Windows Hibernate, and is probably meant for use with laptops than desktop PCs. With your RAID 0 array of SSDs, you probably aren't adding any extra start up speed, as the extra step of reading data from the SSDs is starting things normally. I'm not aware of any way to bypass the the partition size situation.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        Do you have Windows 8 installed for UEFI booting? That is, formatted as GPT, and installed with CSM disabled? Fast Boot set to Ultra Fast? That is the configuration for using the Restart to UEFI utility, which is used because in this configuration, you can't get into the UEFI/BIOS without it.

Intel Rapid Start is very similar to Windows Hibernate, and is probably meant for use with laptops than desktop PCs. With your RAID 0 array of SSDs, you probably aren't adding any extra start up speed, as the extra step of reading data from the SSDs is starting things normally. I'm not aware of any way to bypass the the partition size situation.
        Thanks parsec, don't worry about Rapid Start, I got it working by changing some settings in BIOS but like you pointed out its not really relevant for a desktop PC so I'm unintalling it.

About UEFI, I don't know if it is formatted as GPT or CSM enabled, how do I check that? I simply cloned my last SSD's copy of Windows onto this new array using Acronis Image Home 2013, so I never actually installed Windows 8 onto these SSDs.

I haven't enabled BIOS Ultra Fast Boot because I was worried I might not be able to get into BIOS again. Its just on 'Fast Boot'.
        EDIT: So if i enable ultre fast boott in BIOS will the restart to UEFI work??
        Last edited by Hasandaman; 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM.

Comment

If you cloned your installation from another drive, I'm certain that the installation was not set up for UEFI booting. OS installations formatted as GPT cannot be cloned in the same manner as Windows 7, etc. You could check the OS drive in Windows Disk Management for an "EFI System Partition", a Recovery partition, and the main Windows Boot partition, among any others you may have created. Or the Diskpart command from the CMD command line option would show if the disk is GPT formatted.

The CSM option is usually found (for ASRock boards) in the ACPI screen in the Advanced Menu. CSM (Compatibility Support Module) is enabled by default, which causes the system to not UEFI install and start/boot. CSM must be disabled when Windows is installed for it to be set up for UEFI booting. You cannot change CSM to disabled with a standard Windows installation and have UEFI booting.

ASRock briefly describes what is necessary for using Ultra Fast boot in the Description of the UEFI/BIOS version that adds that feature:

Note: "Ultra Fast" is only supported by below conditions.
          1. OS Windows 8 is installed on GPT format.
          2. Graphics supports UEFI GOP.

The "graphics supports UEFI GOP" is a UEFI booting requirement, that 98% of video cards do not support right now. You must use the Intel IGP instead. That's enough to stop many people from using UEFI booting.

If you enable Ultra Fast boot now, the PC likely will not start, and may just put you into the UEFI/BIOS to fix it. Restart to UEFI works for me fine, but I installed Windows 8 configured for UEFI booting. It might not even install or run with your configuration.

Comment

Working...
          X