Asrock Z77 extreme 6 problem: very slow POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z77 extreme 6 problem: very slow POST

Well, the problem started 7-8 days ago. Problem was the problem of very very slow POST.

System keep hanging in 9A & A2 state at-least for 30-40 seconds each.

9A= USB initialization.

A2= IDE detect.

If I go to BIOS, BIOS screen was almost hanging up. After I press any key or press mouse the response was coming after ~30 seconds later.

Processor: 2500K, PSU: HX850.
    Currently running at stock speed. Running latest rev of BIOS. Processor temperature is normal.

When Windows 7 boots up, everything is fine.

Interesting part: South bridge is overheating while the PC is running at that condition.

Solutions tried in vain: BIOS resetting, running the PC with minimum config, keyboard & mouse changing.

Help!
    Should I RMA the board?

Re: Asrock Z77 extreme 6 problem: very slow POST

So nothing changed on the PC when this POST problem started? No changes to the PC, and all your drives still work fine? Do you have Windows update set to automatically apply updates? You can check the update log for the date when things started going wrong.

The Z77 PCH (south bridge) chip is overheating during the long POST condition? How do you know its temperature at that time? What is its temperature at that time? The temperature then changes later?

The slow response of the mouse and keyboard in the BIOS could be related to the 9A error, caused by a new driver from Windows update.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      So nothing changed on the PC when this POST problem started? No changes to the PC, and all your drives still work fine? Do you have Windows update set to automatically apply updates? You can check the update log for the date when things started going wrong.

The Z77 PCH (south bridge) chip is overheating during the long POST condition? How do you know its temperature at that time? What is its temperature at that time? The temperature then changes later?

The slow response of the mouse and keyboard in the BIOS could be related to the 9A error, caused by a new driver from Windows update.
      1. Nothing have changed in that PC. There is only one drive in that PC and that is Seagate barracuda 7200.12 500GB HDD & a standard Asus DVD drive.
      2. There is no problem with Seagate HDD.
      3. Windows Update is turned off in that PC. So no problems related to instability due to windows update.
      4. I've measure the south-bridge temprature using my digital sensor and it shows in between 53-59C, where ambient of the room is 25C. Processor temperature is 35C (which is pretty normal). The other way I can feel the overheating issue is my placing my fingers over south-bridge heat-sink.
      5. The problem is not happening every-time I start that PC up. It;s happening ~75% of time.

6. 9A error? Doesn't seems to be possible as I've already said that windows update is turned off in that machine.

Addition: The chassis I'm using is Corsair 650D. SO there is no lack of airflow inside the chassis.
      Last edited by d6bmg; 04-04-2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Your Z77 PCH is not overheating. The rated max case temperature (Tcase) is 104C. The lowest temperature the thermal sensor will indicate is ~43C. Intel's power usage specs for low and high load configurations are performed at temperatures of 50C and 110C for Tjunction (internal temperature), respectively.

You can check the specs in this document, section 3: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...sign-guide.pdf

My PCH usually runs between 43C and 49C, depending on the ambient temperature. My Corsair 500R case has a side fan that pushes air directly onto the mother board, so its temperature is a bit lower than yours. Your ambient temperature is a factor in the PCH's temperature, which is ~22C in my room at this time of the year. If you use the CPU's graphics, the PCH will run warmer.

The Intel 6 and 7 series chipsets run cooler than earlier models. The X58 idles at 50C, even with a small fan mounted on it. The lowest temperature it will report is 50C. I'm not thrilled with the ASRock heat sink on the Z77, with the cover that actually reduces cooling IMO, but given the TDP is 6.7Watts at full load, not much cooling is needed.

I would check or replace your SATA data cable, and check the fit of the SATA power cable. A new board would not give you a cooler chipset by much if at all. You could check the tightness of the screws on the heatsink, carefully!

Comment

Heatsink screws are tight as it should be, I've checked it.
          And I'll try with another set of SATS power cable as well as SATA cable, and post the result here later today.

Comment

Also drill down through Event Viewer.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Disconnect your HDD & CD, & any extraneous USB devices.

Any change?

Comment

Working...
              X