Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock 990FX Extreme9 sleep mode causes cpu performance loss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASRock 990FX Extreme9 sleep mode causes cpu performance loss.

Originally posted by parsec View Post

Speaking of the BIOS, have you tried resetting the CMOS/BIOS to cure your problem? If not, definitely try that. Make careful note of any BIOS settings you use that are not default values, or save your current settings in a profile, so you can restore them after the clear.
    Well, that was dumb of me. When I first noticed this problem, I should have immediately reset my BIOS to see if it resolved the problem, which is what just happened. I reset my BIOS and voila! Problem gone.

I've gone in and out of sleep state twice, and benchmarked twice with the same results showing the CPU is functioning properly after resuming from a sleep state.

My CPU temps dropped a bit as well. I'm now down to about 38C at idle.

Not sure what I set in my BIOS to cause this, though it also may have occurred from my upgrade to 1.10. If I figure out what set wrong, I'll post back.

I also noticed that the CPU Clock Speeds in HWinFO64 now show as fluctuating between 3716MHz and 1406MHz. Before they only displayed at 3716MHz, which probably explains the high idle CPU temps.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

I think I found out what the problem was in my BIOS.

I've experimented with the "OC Mode" setting before, by setting it to "CPU OC Mode" and trying a few OC settings such as 5% and 15%.

OC Mode settings never worked for me, since my PC would either freeze or not come out of sleep mode. So I changed the OC Mode setting back to "Manual Mode".

Thats where I think the problem occured. Going back to "Manual Mode" may have not changed all my CPU settings back to the stock configuration, which may be why my CPU was stuck at 3716MHz after a reboot and 1406MHz after resuming from a sleep state.

By resetting the BIOS, I guess it cleared whatever settings OC Mode changed, and put me back to a stock configuration.

THE ABOVE CONCLUSION I MADE IS WRONG.

I did some more testing with my BIOS settings, and now I'm fairly certain the setting that caused my original problem was the "Cool 'n' Quiet" setting. I tested this by resetting my BIOS, then just disabling "Cool 'n' Quiet" in the BIOS. The problem started upon booting with "Cool 'n' Quiet" disabled.

So, as of this post, I believe the problems I was originally experiencing stemmed from disabling "Cool 'n' Quiet" in the BIOS.
      Last edited by coexr; 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I'm glad you've sorted out your problem, but a mystery or two still remain IMO. As you know, when things get flaky, clear that BIOS!!! I believe that clearing the BIOS is an important maintenance procedure, that should be done once a month, even if all is well. I truly believe that many of the problems laptop users have is due to the apparent inability to clear the BIOS on those PCs. I also believe that rebooting a PC is important, since starting with a "clean slate/board" will remove most of the confusion Windows can get itself into, since it is far from perfect.

Assuming that nothing else is causing your problem, disabling CoolNQuiet (CNQ) should not cause what happens when you wake from Sleep. That is, in theory and practice, that should not happen. CNQ is not a new feature, although your CPU is a new model. I don't think your problem is a known, common bug with CNQ and Bulldozer CPUs. I could be wrong, but if this was a common issue, we would see forum posts about it all the time. I'm not saying you are wrong, or doing something wrong, it could be a BIOS issue beyond the users control, that you have found. Or a Windows issue, or a combination of CNQ and Windows. We tend to forget how complex the PC system is, and there is so much that we are not aware of.

Another reality is, CNQ is related to Turbo, and may also be affected by other CPU power saving settings, like C1E, and the 'P' states of APM. So simply enabling or disabling CNQ is likely not the whole story. Yes, these features and their interactions are NOT described very well at all, and can differ between one BIOS and another, which is very wrong.

With CNQ enabled, your CPU's core speeds should vary between 1400MHz and 3500MHz (or more with Turbo), depending on the load on the CPU. That is done by changing the core multiplier, which you can see in the HWiNFO display. Your problem was when waking from Sleep, six out of eight cores had the multiplier locked at 7.0. The bug is the multipliers are locked, they can't change as they should. Changing the multiplier is nothing new, Intel does the same thing on their CPUs, when Turbo is active, and power saving features are enabled. I've never had the core multipliers locked at any low power level with Intel boards and CPUs, when waking from Sleep.

I don't own your board and CPU, so can't try it myself. Does anyone else with this board, BIOS, and similar CPU, find this is happening to them?

Comment

Working...
        X