RAID 0+1 or 10 in bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID 0+1 or 10 in bios

I am think about buying a ASRock 990FX Extreme 4 or Extreme 9. So here is the problem:

Newegg and ASRock information for each board states they only do Raid 0+1 not 10, but when I went to the ASRock site and compared the four 990FX boards the all said "RAID 0, 1, 5, 10" When I downloaded the Raid installation manual for Extreme 4 and read it, it states on page 2 and 3 what raids this board supports 10 was not one, but on page 7 it states "Choose the RAID level you want. In the Define LD Menu section, press the spacebar to cycle through logical drive types, including RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID Ready, JBOD and RAID 10" as well as on page 15 through the RAIDXpert software. I want to do a raid 10 through the bios not RAIDXpert.

Would someone be so kind and check the bios setting for 990FX Extreme 4 and Extreme 9 and confirm Raid 10 or not Please

Re: RAID 0+1 or 10 in bios

RAID 01 is also called as RAID 0+1

Main difference between RAID 10 vs RAID 01

[*]Performance on both RAID 10 and RAID 01 will be the same.[*]The storage capacity on these will be the same.[*]The main difference is the fault tolerance level. On most implememntations of RAID controllers, RAID 01 fault tolerance is less. On RAID 01, since we have only two groups of RAID 0, if two drives (one in each group) fails, the entire RAID 01 will fail. In the above RAID 01 diagram, if Disk 1 and Disk 4 fails, both the groups will be down. So, the whole RAID 01 will fail.[*]RAID 10 fault tolerance is more. On RAID 10, since there are many groups (as the individual group is only two disks), even if three disks fails (one in each group), the RAID 10 is still functional. In the above RAID 10 example, even if Disk 1, Disk 3, Disk 5 fails, the RAID 10 will still be functional.[*]So, given a choice between RAID 10 and RAID 01, always choose RAID 10.

**** I am not from asrock. So if you want to Wait for someone who has this board might be a good idea.

I can say that the manual, has a lot of general items and sometimes its from a bunch of different boards, my manual for my X79 is a joke.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 03-26-2013, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Well, you can find references to RAID 10 being supported on the SB950 SATA chipset, although the ASRock documentation is inconsistent about this.

Your question is best answered by someone that uses either board you mentioned, which I do not.

Comment

Thanks again PAR, hope you're doing good.

After seeing parsec post, I checked around and have seen RAID 10 on all sb950, I actually think there is a mistake on the asrock site for specs.

Comment

Hey Odie, I see you're back in T-Town!

I didn't mean to say you're wrong, since I'm only going by what I can find and read, if you know better, say so brother!

Intel's IRST RAID does RAID 10, so I figure AMD should too.

OMG, the ASR manuals! Not up to date with the BIOS options added with updates, and many of the explanations are worthless. I can't say the manual for my board is all bad, most of the basic information is present, but some things are not explained at all.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            Hey Odie, I see you're back in T-Town!

I didn't mean to say you're wrong, since I'm only going by what I can find and read, if you know better, say so brother!

Intel's IRST RAID does RAID 10, so I figure AMD should too.

OMG, the ASR manuals! Not up to date with the BIOS options added with updates, and many of the explanations are worthless. I can't say the manual for my board is all bad, most of the basic information is present, but some things are not explained at all.
            You didn't say I was wrong, and most all times your up on more them me. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, after thinking, I'm not sure about the chipset/ROM for AMD. Maybe it is distinct or not per board.

But after looking around because of you I see only RAID 10 and no RAID 0+1 on the SB950. I tried on the AMD for specs on SB950 but couldn't find enough info to say one way or the other.

The few asrock boards I have built, and mine, seem to be awesome, but like you said, the manuals are a joke, I think they took the first manual, and just added a few basics for each model LOL.

The asrock site, drivers/downloads needs someone who can think. It's a big joke, leaving old BETA BIOS up, not filling in drivers for win 8, but they did for the most expensive models.

I think you need to go straighten them out.

As for the poster I have been looking for someone with this board to answer it, or hopefully someone who absolutely knows can post soon.

I know that if you don't own a board, trying to get asrock to answer you is a shot in the dark.

Comment

It's cool Odie, just making sure I didn't offend you...

They could hire me to edit the manual, one among many, a lot of time and work. The problem is many times the people that write manuals don't have the background to do it well, and it is not easy. Manual updates tend to be forgotten, and how many people actually read them.

Manuals, they don't get no respect...

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                It's cool Odie, just making sure I didn't offend you...

They could hire me to edit the manual, one among many, a lot of time and work. The problem is many times the people that write manuals don't have the background to do it well, and it is not easy. Manual updates tend to be forgotten, and how many people actually read them.

Manuals, they don't get no respect...
                ROLOL, just kidding, you never offend me, and I respect anything you say to me. I expect you to be open honest, don't ever worry about it.

I bet it's a nightmare, but they are paid to do it. I can't remember which model but one manual was so bad, I had to put it down and just ignore it.

How about you fix the website, they are leaving old BETA's up, not updating divers, here is a real one that makes me sick, they stopped selling the best board they have, the x79 ex 7, you know the only marvell 9182.
                Because a few idiots at newegg badmouthed it because of their driver page , website. Ya, the only 9182, they stopped, and people are buying the garbage 9128, 9172, and asmedia. Beyond sicking.

*** Sorry poster, didn't mean to hijack this and go off on a different direction.

Comment

Working...
                X