Adding Secodary IDE Drive Causes Reboot - Windows XP Pro - Asrock 880GM-LE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Secodary IDE Drive Causes Reboot - Windows XP Pro - Asrock 880GM-LE

When I add a secondary IDE drive, Windows XP Pro boots normally until it gets to the Desktop. Then a small bubble message appears as it normally would when a new hardware component is installed, telling me a new desk drive has been found. But then the computer reboots. If the secondary hard drive is removed, everything works fine and the computer will boot up normally. It doesn't matter if I boot from an IDE drive or a SATA drive, if TWO IDEs are connected to the IDE cable the computer will always reboot shortly after reaching the Desktop screen. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Adding Secodary IDE Drive Causes Reboot - Windows XP Pro - Asrock 880GM-LE

Is it possible for you to switch the HDD's positions on the IDE cable and retest?

Both IDE jumpered correctly?

Tried using a different IDE cable?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I've tried everything I can think of. I jumpered one IDE as Master, the other as Slave. I tried both with CS (cable select). I changed IDE cables. I tried a brand new IDE cable. With two IDE drives connected, I can boot into DOS with a Windows98 startup floppy disk and Norton Ghost (old DOS version) can see both drives ok. So maybe it's a motherboard problem with Windows XP Pro (hardware or driver?) or I just need to reinstall Windows (not so good).

Comment

Have you tried using a diagnostic disk from the drive manufacturer to test the drives, and make sure there isn't an issue with one of them?

You can download the Ultimate Boot CD, it has the diagnostic utilities from all manufacturers on it.

Comment

A fellow Michigander!
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The hard drives are ok. I've tried them on other computers and they work fine. I also have have several other drives I've connected and the same problem happens.

Comment

Working...
            X