Is my Z77 Extreme4 MB dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Z77 Extreme4 MB dead

I have been running a Z77 Extreme4 mb with an I7-3770 processor and 32 GB of ram, just using on board HD4000 video. Everything was running great.

so the other day I decided to upgrade my case so I had to take everything out of my old case and transfer into my new case. I left the processor in, but pulled my 4 8GB corsair DDR3 1333 memory sticks out.

after putting it all back together, I was getting a "55" debug error message which is a memory issue,
    I tried everything, after about 15 minutes the only way I could get the system back up was to use only 2 sticks of memory in bank B so it is only running in "single channel" mode, I thought maybe a had a bad memory stick so purchased 2 new identical 8gb modules, plugged them all in bank A and B still same thing, error 55, seems that I could only get bank B to work.

have I someway damaged bank a memory socket? I tried putting in the new 8GB modules in dual channel mode 1 in bank A and 1 in Bank B still same thing 55 error message.

i did a CMOS reset that did not help.

So now I am left with a 16GB single channel system.

Any ideas?

Re: Is my Z77 Extreme4 MB dead

There are several possibilities for your problem, such as:

Did you happen to change your CPU cooler, or remount your cooler? With the memory controller in the CPU, it is possible to apply to much or uneven pressure on the CPU, and the contacts used for the connection between the memory and the CPU are not right.

Given the new case, any chance of shorts between the pins of the memory sockets under the board, to the case? Or a mother board standoff in the wrong position causing a short? Or when inserting a DIMM in a slot, pressure causing the board to bend and the same pins bending and shorting one to another?

Did you try two DIMMs, one in slot A2 and one in B2? That is the recommended placement for two DIMMs. But it does sound like the A channel is the problem.

Any chance the eight pin CPU power connector is not inserted correctly?

You are likely going to need to remove the board from the case, and try to start it on an insulated surface, the typical unmounted test setup.

You didn't fill in your system specs, which is a big help and really a requirement for posting in the forum.

Comment

Parsec thanks for the tips,
      I will check everything out that you mentioned and get back.

Comment

That exact thing happened to me. I finally discovered there was a pinched (shorted) power supply wire. I tried a new power supply and the computer worked great. I tried the "defective" power supply in another system and it had reset itself and worked fine. So I figured there was a short somewhere. Try that with the power supply - look for loose connections, possible shorts in the wiring, or motherboard to chassis grounding problems. The booting and memory issue may be related to voltage problems. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X