Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 939Dual VSTA + AMD FX-57 = Wrong speed

Hi,
    I have trawled through the internet trying to find a solution to this problem to no avail. So I thought I'd try here.

System specs:
    Asrock 939dual vsta (bios P1.30)
    AMD Athlon64 FX-57 (revision SH8-E4)
    4x512 Crucial Ballistix
    2x 80gb seagate sata drives
    AGP nvidia FX5700
    fans and stuff
    (not the best rig in the world, but for my purposes its fine.)

I'm not looking to overclock the cr#p out of it, I just want my CPU to run at the correct speed.
    The CPU is supposed to run @ 2800mhz, as apposed to the current (incorrect) speed of 2600mhz.
    I've read that the bios on this board sets everything to "auto" and that if it doesn't recognise the processor, ram etc, it gives the wrong settings/speed.
    As a self confessed novice at bios settings/multipliers/overclocking, I would appreciate it if anyone (with a larger brain capacity than mine for these things) could possibly point me in the right direction for the correct settings.
    Thanks
    PB

Re: 939Dual VSTA + AMD FX-57 = Wrong speed

My guess is for some reason it's setting it up as 13 x 200 in the BIOS.

BIOS > Advanced > CPU Configuration > Processor Maximum Multiplier > should read x14 2800

What does your's read?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

And I don't have the foggiest why it might be acting as it is. According to ASRock's CPU Support List for this board the FX-57 is supported by _all_ BIOS revisions.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Hi wardog,
        Mine was running at 13x on "Auto".
        Turned of "Spread Spectum & cool and quiet" still no joy.

Options in bios (that I tried) are as follows:
        Overclock Mode =[Auto]
        Boot failiure Guard =[Enabled]
        Spread Spectrum =[Disabled]
        Cool 'n' Quiet =[Disabled]
        "Processor Maximum Multiplier x25 5000 mhz"
        "Processor Maximum Voltage 1.450 V"

Multiplier/Voltage change =[Manual]
        Processor Multiplier =[x14 2800 MHz]
        Processor Voltage =[1.400 V]

Memory Clock =[200mhz (DDR400)]
        Flexibility Option =[Disabled]
        CAS Latency =[Auto]
        TRAS =[Auto]
        TRP =[Auto]

When I try to change it to 14x I get the BSOD.

Comment

Is this a new build, or one that was running fine previously?

What specific pn/model Ballistix do you have? Did they come as a matched set of four, or two kits of two each?

Try this. Pull the memory from either the blue or black slots so that only two are installed, change to 14 in the BIOS and see what happens.

You should also manually set the memory timings and voltage according to the Ballistix sticks specs you have there.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
            Is this a new build, or one that was running fine previously?
            Its about 8 months old, but from day one (and on the old bios) its never shown the correct processor speed.

What specific pn/model Ballistix do you have? Did they come as a matched set of four, or two kits of two each?
            Crucial Ballistix 1GB (2x512) Kit, PC3200, pn:47072, x2

Try this. Pull the memory from either the blue or black slots so that only two are installed, change to 14 in the BIOS and see what happens.
            BSOD.
            I've tried it with 1 stick, 2 sticks (dual channel/and single channel mode), 3 sticks (single channel mode). I even tried as a last resort with set of Kingston memory still no luck

You should also manually set the memory timings and voltage according to the Ballistix sticks specs you have there.
            With the bios set to the dreaded "auto" CPUz reads them at 2.2.2.8. although the stock settings I believe are 2-2-2-6.

I'm beginning to think I've just got a fx-55 in an FX-57's clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychobudgie View Post
              I'm beginning to think I've just got a fx-55 in an FX-57's clothing.
              Sadly, that's not unheard of.

In the BIOS what is this CPU reported as? FX-57?

On a whim, what PSU are you using?

Two things I'd like you to do for me if you would please.

1. Go HERE, grab the tool and run it. Then post the linked page back here or via PM.

2. Get the latest CPU-Z from HERE, run it and grab a screenshot of the CPU and Memory tabs. You can run two instances side by side for one screen capture. Same, then post the grab back here or via PM.
              Last edited by - wardog -; 03-02-2013, 08:23 AM. Reason: change "linked page' to grab.

Comment

Sorry forgot to answer your whim when I pm'd Linkworld Linkpower ATX-550 LPG12-35-p4 550W ATX 12V REV. 2.01 Power Supply I-7 ready - Newegg.com

Comment

OK. I just want to see the results. Should it fire up at x14 2800 and the DRAM Voltage set to NORMAL first then HIGH if NORMAL fails, then proceed to shut it down until I learn more about the memory you have.

1. BIOS > Set it to x14 2800
                  2. BIOS > Advanced > Chipset Settings > DRAM Voltage > set to NORMAL first or try HIGH(which from what I'm reading HIGH should be 2.8v). I can't find the operating voltage for this memory and am still looking

Comment

Test 1
                    CPU @ x14 2800mhz
                    RAM @ 2.2.2.6
                    Results:
                    Low = BSOD
                    Normal = BSOD
                    High = BSOD

Test 2

CPU @ x14 2800mhz
                    RAM (auto) @ 2.2.2.8
                    Results:
                    Low = BSOD
                    Normal = BSOD
                    High = BSOD

not sure if this is relevent but.....
                    I ran memtest yesterday with RAM at the correct settings 2.2.2.6 and it showed errors within minutes.
                    I then switched it back to "Auto" in bios (which sets it to 2.2.2.8), ran 3 cycles of memtest, showed no errors.

Comment

Set CAS in in the BIOS at 2.5 and retry.

2.5-2-2-(6 or 8)

Comment

BSOD, major instability, failure to boot.

It seems the only settings that will work with this board/setup, are "Auto". which we both know are the wrong settings.
                        Any attempt to change the settings result in CPU instability and memory problems.

Yesterday I had to reformat and do a fresh XP64 install, as it failed to post several times after the ram tweak. I also reflashed the bios (P1.30) to see if that would help (didnt really think it would). result no change.

I think I'm going to have to admit defeat on this one. I've either got a duff CPU, a duff Board, or the Bios from Asrock is fubar.

Comment

I supect the BIOS

Comment

Working...
                          X