Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hibernation works randomly, sometimes I get a black screen when resuming, have to hard reset and try again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hibernation works randomly, sometimes I get a black screen when resuming, have to hard reset and try again.

Windows 7 x64, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, every driver installed and updated, latest bios installed on the mobo.

Sometimes, when I hibernate my system, my system hangs on a black screen after the "resuming windows" screen. No HDD activity led, no signal on monitor, nothing works, not even the reset button, and I have to keep the power button pressed for 5 seconds and try again. Sometimes it works on the second try, but not always. There is nothing in Windows Even Log. Windows was recently reinstalled too.

Why is this happening, how do I troubleshoot it, and how can I fix it?

Other hardware: Gigabyte GTX560Ti, i5 3570K, 8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz, WD Blue hard disk as system drive.
    Last edited by MRK17; 02-28-2013, 07:28 AM.

Re: Hibernation works randomly, sometimes I get a black screen when resuming, have to hard reset and try again.

Have you installed the latest driver(s) for you 560ti, those being 314.07 WHQL - Windows7 x64
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Re: Hibernation works randomly, sometimes I get a black screen when resuming, have to hard reset and try again.

Yes I have.

Comment

Seeings how you only listed the MB in your System Specs, now would be a good time to complete it by listing the other parts that make up your system.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

What do you have the BIOS setting for Deep Sleep (in South Bridge Configuration) set to?

If you are truly using Hibernate, and not Sleep, the Deep Sleep setting should be set to S4.

In the BIOS, in ACPI Configuration, be sure Suspend to RAM is set to Auto, and Check Ready Bit is enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            What do you have the BIOS setting for Deep Sleep (in South Bridge Configuration) set to?

If you are truly using Hibernate, and not Sleep, the Deep Sleep setting should be set to S4.

In the BIOS, in ACPI Configuration, be sure Suspend to RAM is set to Auto, and Check Ready Bit is enabled.

I am using hibernation because I turn off the power to my system during the night. If I was using sleep, the system would not resume after completely losing power.

That being said, all those options were already on your recommended settings.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this problem without changing random settings in the bios and hoping for the best?

Comment

Try this, as it's usually the display drivers or the NIC drivers. And this is assuming you use the onboard NIC.

Either in the BIOS(preferred means) or in Device Manager disable the NIC and see if it will come out of hibernate reliably a few times.

The latest Win7x64 Broadcom BCM57781 NIC drivers are 15.4.0.9 and can be downloaded HERE.
              Last edited by - wardog -; 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM.

Comment

My Z77 Ex 4 board wakes from Sleep fine consistently.

Another option for you would be the Intel Rapid Start feature, which is really their version of hibernate. It requires some configuration and a specific sequence of installing the components, which you can read about in this guide:

http://www.asrock.com/support/note/IntelRapidStart.pdf

Comment

Thank you for your help.

I installed the latest broadcom driver (the one on AsRock website wasn't the latest after all), I wonder if this will fix the problem. Like I said, it happens very randomly and it could go fine for a few days and then hang 10 times in a row. So far it seems to resume correctly.

Regarding RapidStart, I tried it some time ago, and if I unplug the computer, the next time I power it on it complains about memory mapping being lost or something like that and resume from hibernation fails.

Comment

That's why I included the link back to the BCM57781 driver page at Broadcom. ASRock doesn't update the driver releases as far as I can tell unless there is a critical issue that a newer one will resolve and only then they seemingly only perform this for a short time after the/a board is released. My conjecture on the matter anyways.

Let us know how things are going there after a while if you remember to.

Comment

Intel Rapid Start is supposed to resume the system even if the computer is unplugged, right?

I'm not sure, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my system isn't resuming if I turn off the power.

This is what I did:
                      1. Install AsRock rapidstart tool
                      2. Use said tool to create partition on system drive
                      3. Reboot
                      4. Install Intel Rapid Start driver and program
                      5. Use the program to set timer to 0 (immediately) and enable rapid start
                      6. Select sleep
                      7. Computer enters sleep, then wakes up immediately, does something for a few seconds with a black screen, and turns off again.
                      8. Unplug computer
                      9. Replug computer
                      10. "Windows was not shut down correctly, yada yada yada"

And also, updating the broadcom driver did not fix the problem as this god damned clunker has just hanged again as I was testing hibernation and rapid start.

This is starting to get annoying.
                      Last edited by MRK17; 03-01-2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Yes, Rapid Start writes the system state to disk, so it's supposed to be able to be removed from power and resume fine.

Below is a link to Intel's own documentation about Rapid Start. They do mention a BIOS setting for their own mother boards, but I thought this might give you some more information. They also mention the Smart Response feature in this document, which is confusing but these two features are related. Just FYI really:

http://download.intel.com/support/mo..._guide_v11.pdf

Comment

I did the same exact steps and nothing, it doesn't work. I wonder what's up with this ****. I will try reinstalling windows. Man, what a pain.

Comment

I spent my entire afternoon reinstalled windows and it still doesn't god damn work. Holy crap I'm so mad I feel like going out and start punching babies right now.

Does anyone know how exactly I'm supposed to set up this ungodly crap?

Bios settings:
                            Rapid start: enabled
                            Timer: immediately
                            Check size whatever: enabled

Program settings:
                            Rapid start technology: enabled
                            Battery: disabled
                            Timer: 0

Windows power saving settings:
                            Disabled hibernation
                            Disabled hibrid sleep

Can someone who actually managed to get this **** to work tell me all the settings? The system resumes fine but if I unplug my computer I get the "windows was not shut down correctly" screen.

Comment

Last edited by MRK17; 03-15-2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X