Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 960GM-GS3 and FX 8320 fail.Please help

Hi,
    First post here and I really need your help as soon as possible**.I have a 960GM-GS3 and (my fault) ,I didn't check the cpu support list carefully, I put an amd fx 8320.Although it seemed to run smoothly ,when heavy load (virtualizations , video transcodings) I had resets without post.I though it was the cpu but same resets with a new one (under warranty both). Prime95 , OCCT gave me cpu errors.After checking PSU and rams send the motherboard/cpu back for checking and they informed me that the cpu is not supported.
    Getting to the point I have to either change the motherboard(ASUS M5A78L LE), or the cpu (amd fx6300).
    The problem(s) is that on ASRock > 960GM-GS3 FX :

-I see only the fx8300 supported and it's not available in my country,or anywhere at the moment..(plus on some forums I read it's only for OEM?)
    -The fx 8120 support is only for the 95W version (I didn't even know it exists such a version,I though it was only 125W)
    -If I choose to undervolt the 8350 and lower the multiplier(finding the correct settings) ,will the cpu stay always in that speed even idle?(I don't want to!).Or leaving one core per module?But it may not be as fast as the fx6300 in multithreading rendering....
    My braincells are fried! Is there any bios beta version planned or an actual solution to make them working stable?

**I'm in a harry because I can get full refund ,but time is limited!

PS.By posting this thread ,I googled the 8-core cpus on the support page and I think they are all for OEM (I hope it's not ,because that info is ,at least, a bit misleading for a normal pc user........)

Re: 960GM-GS3 and FX 8320 fail.Please help

IMO, and not to come off snobbish here ok?, you'd be best served with that FX-8320 you have in a new 990FX motherboard.

And yes. The CPU's listed on the Support List are all OEM part numbers. To convert OEM to Boxed go HERE, all FX series list, on CPU-World.com and scroll down a bit.

As for any BETA BIOSs coming out I wouldn't hold my breath that whatever ASRock should pop out will solve the power delivery issue FX's suffer while installed on older chipsets/MBs not designed for the FX.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

If I go for a better motherboard(extreme series) I have to pay a small amount for the price different ,plus I have to get a cheap video card plus 2 sata dvd recorders (I only have IDE!).So I go far away from budget-but-descent machine!
      Maybe I'll go for fx6300....
      Regarding the bios update I am aware that a limited hardware remains limited no-matter firmware....but maybe if asrock could provide a bios version lowering the voltage and cpu speed while keeping all the 8 cores enabled(though it would be disaster for gaming!) with scaling enabled I'd stay with 8320 and upgrade sometime in the future.
      Last edited by korakios; 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Meh, just needs a video card with the ASRock 990FX Extreme4 (<-Link) as it has IDE onboard for your DVD drives.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thanks wardog !Missed the IDE connector,maybe I'll spend some extra cash for motherboard/video card or try lowering the voltage.If anyone (I doubt) tried the particular cpu with working voltage/multiplier settings please post here!

Comment

Re: 960GM-GS3 and FX 8320(and 6300) fail.Please help

I was in budget and tried the fx 6300 since it's 95watt and guess what: it's not working...Fail...
            Actually it works, but after 20 minutes load (with OCCT) the cpu falls from 3,5 to 1,4 Ghz.If I force in the bios (by disabling thermal throttle,amd cool'n'quiet etc...) to stay at 3.5 Ghz the system resets with no post.
            Disappointed, bad experience(3 processors,2 motherboards~2 months) with asrock motherboards. In the past asrock had bad reputation for low cost chipsets and was avoided in audio-production-world and I should expect that I got what I paid.(and maybe less).No wonder why asrock gives 2years warranty instead 3 in my country.
            Now I'll go with an 8320 cpu again (or 8350), but not with an asrock motherboard.

Comment

Budget ........... Low cost .......

Yeppers. I hope you weren't thinking of pulling a rabbit out of that hat.

You bought the low cost and now aged 960 chipset. Knowingly I'll add.

To go off and rant of it being ASRocks fault is lame don't ya think? I certainly do.

Own up to your mistakes. The world already has too many who don't, only to have one more.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                Budget ........... Low cost .......

Yeppers. I hope you weren't thinking of pulling a rabbit out of that hat.
                Yes I did, and I'll try out another motherboard on the same price range to do so (if I keep the fx6300).

You bought the low cost and now aged 960 chipset. Knowingly I'll add.
                Sure I did, seemed perfect chance
                To go off and rant of it being ASRocks fault is lame don't ya think? I certainly do.
                What's the difference between the fx 6300 OEM and BOX edition?
                Own up to your mistakes. The world already has too many who don't, only to have one more.
                Relax, I have a life...just posted to make sure noone makes the same mistake(s) I did....

Comment

Working...
                X