Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Windows 8 with CSM disabled (full UEFI)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing Windows 8 with CSM disabled (full UEFI)?

rseiler, not to worry, I don't consider this thread to be an argument or a "I'm right, you're wrong..." kind of thing, but a learning experience where we can exchange information on UEFI booting, and how to do it, etc. Considering the apparent differences in my board's UEFI settings for UEFI booting, compared to yours and ucodes, and the small amount of information I can find about this, we need to help each other.

An example of this is in a guide at (Windows) EightForums, the same site I posted a link about creating a bootable USB drive for UEFI Windows installations. There guide on enabling "Secure Boot" is a few screen shots of one unidentified ASRock board's UEFI similar to mine. All they say to do is to enable Secure Boot, the end. No mention of CSM at all. Later in the guide they asked readers to submit screen shots of their board's UEFI's, to show how they enable Secure Boot.

I'm not saying that this guide is right, just that it is odd that it's somewhat unclear of how to do this. Sure, different mobo manufactures use different terminology for the same thing (CPU Multiplier, Turbo Multiplier, CPU Ratio, or SATA Mode, Storage Configuration, Disk Mode) but we still know what we are choosing in the end (IDE, AHCI, or RAID, for SATA mode.) IMO, the terminology for UEFI/Secure booting is ambiguous or not being used correctly.

Then we have the CSM setting that ucode said is how he enables UEFI booting. I have both CSM and Secure Boot options, plus key installation. If CSM does not control UEFI booting on my board, why have it as an option? Or remove it after I UEFI boot? So many learning opportunities here...

According to a guide in the (Windows) EightForums, if you are not using Windows 8, enabling Secure Boot will cause a boot failure. So enabling Secure Boot with Windows 7 should cause the boot to fail. But I could swear that I did just that on my ASR board, UEFI booting Windows 7, Secure Boot enabled, and it booted fine. IMO what they missed is installing the security keys, if that is attempted Windows 7 won't boot.

Regarding the failure to boot Windows 7 with CSM disabled, and its affect on Windows, recall that I had a three or four beep POST error code, and a blank screen. IMO that was before any booting of Windows had started, and also occurred before I had Ultra Fast boot enabled.

Comment

Re: Installing Windows 8 with CSM disabled (full UEFI)?

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      a learning experience where we can exchange information on UEFI booting, and how to do it, etc....
      ...Then we have the CSM setting that ucode said is how he enables UEFI booting.
      I can see how this could become very confusing. Maybe a new thread would help, first starting with terminology that we all understand means the same thing. For instance UEFI booting to me is basically the booting mechanism for GPT or FAT32 EFI file. "Full UEFI" in the original post would additionally be at least "CSM disabled" and possibly the addition of "secure boot" with W8 although "secure boot" really does not seem very useful to me.

Comment

Working...
      X