• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 beeps Dr Debug 4F then 36 after trying to update bios

took out all but 1 DIMM
    changed the DIMM
    cleared the CMOS

still dont get anything but 6 beeps and no video

Im guessing the bios chip is messed up. How do I get a replacement for it?

Re: 6 beeps Dr Debug 4F then 36 after trying to update bios

i went from 1.60 to 2.60 using the windows utility. i lost video in the middle of the update. i waited for a while until i thought it was finished and then i rebooted. I have a GTX 460 video card. Neither the dvi or hdmi on the 460 or the onboard video would work.

Comment

The Dr. Debug code information can be found in your owner's manual, but it doesn't really offer much in the way of explanations from what I've just seen. Based solely upon my personal experience, flashing the BIOS can temporarily disable a computer. Sometimes the flashing can even fail when done through Windows. If the new BIOS, as an example, changes the default settings so that the default memory speed is now faster or slower than the installed memory can support, the flashing might not complete, etc. Remove the GTX 460, and connect your monitor to the on-board video, and then start the computer. It might not make a difference, but maybe it will. If you still have no video, and the motherboard is under warranty, you could try contacting ASRock to request an RMA.

However, since this is a BIOS issue, you really need to post specific information to get assistance from forum members who might actually be familiar with your motherboard or problem. So you want to say what motherboard you are having the problem with, unless I missed seeing it. If you are able to see the P.O.S.T. screen, and whether or not you can enter the BIOS.

Comment

sorry its the asrock z77 extreme6

it never posts, it looks likes its rebooting over and over from the Dr Debug numbers that keep repeating themselves. it pauses at 36, then goes to 4F and gives 6 beeps

i tried putting the flash files on a usb stick to see if it would boot from that but it doesnt do that either.

ive tried taking everything out except the cpu and one DIMM and connecting to the vga port on the motherboard and still nothing

Comment

I think that the beeps equal the following codes, but don't quote me on them because I've never come across Dr. Debug, so I'm mostly guessing:

0x36
          0x4F

Saving the BIOS update to a USB Flash drive won't boot the computer, unless it includes a stripped down operating system. It's only good for updating through the BIOS screen, but since the computer doesn't show the P.O.S.T. screen, it won't help you at this point in time.

There's a link in another thread in this forum where you can download a technical document concerning your AMI EFI Bios, Dr. Debug and Beep Codes:

You should download a copy for future reference.

The other thread also involves the same model motherboard, but might be a different version of the a77, since there are at least two that I know of off the top of my head.

In simple terms, and according to your situation, I'm guessing that the six beeps stands for the BIOS update has failed.

You want to contact ASRock directly, explain your situation, and they may just ship a replacement BIOS chip to you directly, as they did the original poster of the other thread. If you don't want to take the risk of changing the BIOS chip yourself, you might need to send them the motherboard so they can change it for you. In either case, I recommend that you contact ASRock to see what can be done to get your computer up and running again.

Comment

@scpirtle
            Pages 47 - 48 in you motherboard user manual show the following debug codes:
            • 0x36 = CPU post-memory initialization. System Management Mode (SMM) initialization
            • 0x4F = DXE IPL is started
            A google search shows that DXE IPL is probably "Driver Execution Environment Initial Program Loader"

I'm pretty sure that a new bios chip version that is earlier than the 2.00 version will fix your problem.
            Contact ASRock at ASRock > Support Request Form provide detailed hardware information including brand names and model numbers of all of your hardware and describe what happened using short sentences for each step. Don't type a long narrative description like I'm doing right now, English is not their primary language.

What caused the problem?
            1. You flashed using a newer Ivy Bridge bios that seems to cause many problems when you are using a Sandy Bridge cpu.
            2. ASRock's bios flashing instructions are inadequate because many owners do the same thing that you did.

Ask them to send you replacement bios chips that will be compatible with your 2500K Sandy Bridge cpu.
            They should send you one or two pre-flashed bios chips for free.

If you are not comfortable with removing and replacing the bios chip, post the name of the city and state where you live to see if there are any experienced forum members that can replace the bios chip without damaging the new chip or your motherboard. You can handle the details privately by communicating via PM (Private Message).
            If you want to replace your own chip, do a web search using: how to replace bios chip
            Your bios chip plugs into a socket on you motherboard, the chip is NOT soldered to the motherboard.

Take a close look at my PC SPECS and forum signature; that is the amount of detail you need to supply when you want help in the forum and when you contact ASRock by phone or online.

Any questions?
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Just for kicks, have you tried doing a HARD bios reset?

Pull the power cord, pull the cmos batt, jumper to CLR and let sit for a spell. Then rejigger the jumper, reinsert cmos batt, plug back to wall.
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

thanks guys. going back and looking at my system i realized i do have an i5-3570k Ivy Bridge not the 2500k.

I contacted ASRock last night so Im waiting to hear what they will say. The mobo was bought less than 9 months ago.

wardog i will try that tonight. i did all those steps but I dont think i did them in that order.

Comment

is it possible that my memory DIMM could be causing it to stop with that error? i have

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

this is not on their memory supported list so I was wondering.

Comment

Doubt it. Is this a new build? Or one that's been running fine prior to your attempted flash?
                    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

it was running fine until i attempted the flash

Comment

Just found this thread through the power of google. The EXACT same thing happened to me a few days ago.

I'm running a i5 3570k on an asrock z77 extreme4 and while flashing to P2.80 this happened to me.

I emailed asrock and i've also already ordered a new bios chip from ebay as I need my computer for work.

Like you, i've tried all the standard ways to fix it. No go.

Will be following this thread.

Comment

Received the bios chip. PC started right up after replacing the chip.

Comment

Glad to hear that the replacement bios chip fixed the problem.
                            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Just registered here after googling for my issue. Same problem error 4F & 36, called ASRock and they are mailing me a new BIOS chip. Can't ship it any faster than USPS first class so I guess I'll get it when I get it. I'll update when I get the chip.

Comment

Working...
                              X