ASRock 990FX Extreme9 64gig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock 990FX Extreme9 64gig?

I was looking at the 990FX Extreme9 and curious what memory I could use to get it to the max of 64gig? Any recommendations?

I'm looking at tossing together a cheap server to run MS 2012 Server and do some minor virtualization I thought the 990FX (Because of slots and memory) coupled with the AMD 8 core CPU would be fun to mess with. ;)

Re: ASRock 990FX Extreme9 64gig?

Well. Considering you're looking to build a cheap server, let me know when you find some, heck any, currently available and cheap 16GB DDR3 memory sticks.

Currently, I can build a few decent boxes for what those req'd four 16GB DDR3 sticks sell for.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

here is the cheapest I found fast...... . Newegg.com - 20-239...

Comment

Originally posted by harleyman View Post
        here is the cheapest I found fast...... . Newegg.com - 20-239...
        If it were only that easy. Nope!
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Well it does have to play well on the Mobo....

So what am i missing here ? curious....

well heck...That Link did not to to the 16 G @ 1600 i selected... Woops

Comment

Newegg.com - Kingston 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1333 Server Memory DR x4 w/TS Model KVR13R9D4/16 <- Corrected link harleyman posted above

That's server memory. ie: ECC Registered. That will not play well in a normal "desktop' motherboards. Server and some workstation boards, yes.

EDITED out the below. Newegg has gone and not correctly labeled/described the below linked memory.

THIS page on Kingstons website describes it as ECC Registered.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through;">THIS I believe would, assuming the BIOS played well with them installed.

But at $350 each we are leaving the realm of cheap while looking at an outlay of $1400 for 4. The only thing "cheap' about buying four of these is the Free Shipping. I'm guessing the OP's posting of "cheap" and "...would be fun to mess with." , $1400 falls outside, hehe way outside, a justifiable expense to "do some minor virtualization"</span>
            Last edited by - wardog -; 02-03-2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Update to reflect a correction of my post above.

Comment

At this point I'm wondering why they advertise the board to hit 64gigs. I'm going to keep looking a bit because I thought it would be a nice option for a server.

Comment

Originally posted by FrostByghte View Post
                  At this point I'm wondering why they advertise the board to hit 64gigs.
                  Because, AFAIK, the memory controller in (some/all?) Trinity cpus can address 64GB of memory. The FX, Piledriver or the current Vishera, cannot and are limited to addressing 32GB. Rumors are the next Vishera will be able but as of now they're not able.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                    Because, AFAIK, the memory controller in (some/all?) Trinity cpus can address 64GB of memory. The FX, Piledriver or the current Vishera, cannot and are limited to addressing 32GB. Rumors are the next Vishera will be able but as of now they're not able.
                    Thank you wardog, I wasn't aware of that. Appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
                    X