Can't get Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect on P67 Extreme4 Gen3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect on P67 Extreme4 Gen3

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1708835. Although my hd audio manager doesn't show a "digital output(optical). Mine just shows "digital optical out" same thing with my choices of sound devices in windows. I see only a device called "digital output and no "digital output optical", but this may be a special feature for his Gigabyte mobo that my Asrock doesn't have. However I only see 2 channel choices under the default format tab.

Re: Can't get Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect on P67 Extreme4 Gen3

Your Motherboard don't support DTS or Dolby Live P67 Motherboard Series Manufacturing - ASRock Inc. No mention on Asrock Site.
    If You want DTS Connect Or Dolby Live you will need to buy a Sound card that can do this for you. I use a Asus Xonar DS ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar DS
    Case: Corsair Carbide 500r/MB: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3/CPU: i5 2500k/GPU: XFX HD7950 DD/Cooling: Corsair H80/Ram: Kingston HyperX 8GB/PSU: Corsair HX850w / 2TB Seagate Sata3 HDD+Corsair GT 60GB Caching/Audio: Asus Xonar DS/Corsair Vengeance 1500

Comment

shankly is right, very few boards support DD or DTS, and if they did you'd see that in giant letters in the boards description. DD and DTS cost money, in licensing, hardware, and software support. Yes, DD and DTS share the SPDIF digital output with two channel audio, but without the required processing, it's just not there.

The 7.1 CH HD audio on the board is simply eight analog channel output on the boards back panel, and is just the equivalent of an eight channel preamplifier. It still needs the decoded output of a DD or DTS processor.

Comment

EggXpert - No option to output 5.1?

*ASR isn't the only board maker doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Haru View Post
          I feel your pain. I have been investigating this exact same problem (although I have a different ASR board than you) and after reading a few dozen posts scattered about the net, it's not possible on our boards. And to that end, I'm calling bee-ess on ASR* and how they advertise their board specs. While true that the Realtek codecs may support 7.1, the MOBOs won't and they should just leave that bit off.

Here's the spec for my board from the ASR site: 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec), Supports THX TruStudio™

Funny thing...TruStudio is included in the initial install and there is an option to upgrade to TruStudio Pro which, like a dummy, I did. The problem is...nothing works in surround. TruStudio Pro doesn't even provide the option for 5.1 or 7.1 because of the output limitations from the MOBO. So, I wasted $25 on something that was doomed to fail. The only way to get proper sound is with a sound card and HDMI, as has been pointed out.

Lastly, here's a thread I stumbled across which describes this problem in detail (pay special attention to scorrpio's posts in the thread): EggXpert - No option to output 5.1?

*ASR isn't the only board maker doing this.
          I think they List 7.1 Audio if you use the 6 Audio jacks at the back of the board. But even still that's 5.1 lol so they must use virtual 7.1
          Case: Corsair Carbide 500r/MB: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3/CPU: i5 2500k/GPU: XFX HD7950 DD/Cooling: Corsair H80/Ram: Kingston HyperX 8GB/PSU: Corsair HX850w / 2TB Seagate Sata3 HDD+Corsair GT 60GB Caching/Audio: Asus Xonar DS/Corsair Vengeance 1500

Comment

I've used HT Omega PCI sound cards (Striker7 and Claro Plus+) in my systems for several years with my Logitech Z-5500 speakers.
            Excellent sound quality and features.
            No problems with either card or drivers under w2k and win7.
            Tech support replied quickly on two occasions when I had questions.

Check out HT Omega for more information and product features.

Asus and HT Omega sound cards at Newegg: ASUS and HT Omega sound cards @ Newegg
            It looks like Newegg has discontinued the Striker7.
            Maybe you can buy the Striker7 direct from HT Omega.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
            X