Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 990fx Extreme 4 DDR3 1866 RAM running at 460 MHz. BIOS / UEFI Settings Help

Hello!

I've been working all day and ready everything I can as I'm trying to get this new build set up. My specs are in my signature.

I'm using 2 8GB sticks or DDR3 RAM rated to 1866 MHz with timings of 9-10-9-28 at 1.5v. When I boot into UEFI on the first screen (Main) it shows two DDR3 sticks and says they are 1600 MHz. When I go to the OC Tweaker page I can select XMP 1.3 profile and it shows the 1866 MHz and correct timings and I lean the DRAM Frequency to AUTO (or I can select 1866, but it doesn't matter once I boot Windows). Seems good so far.

When I get into Windows CPU-Z and Speccy show my DRAM Frequency is 460 MHz (so 920 when I multiply by 2). Going back to the Main page of the UEFI shows the RAM at 920 MHz. And then in the OC Tweaker page the XMP 1.3 profile is still selected (and it shows the correct timings and 1866 MHz under it) but the DRAM Frequency is now set to 920 MHz (whether or not I selected AUTO or 1866 the first time). But now the choices of DRAM Frequency are numbers I don't even know (920, 1225, 1532, 1840...). I choose 1840 since it's close to 1866 but it doesn't seem to change anything once I get into Windows.

What to do?

Also, is there a way to reboot into UEFI? I'm used to BIOSes that when you choose save and exit reboot the computer and let you go back into BIOS. I wonder because when I change settings on the OC Tweaker page nothing seems to change on the Main page.

Help me! Thanks :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention, CPU-Z shows the timings at 9-10-9-28 when it's showing the frequency at 460 MHz.

Re: 990fx Extreme 4 DDR3 1866 RAM running at 460 MHz. BIOS / UEFI Settings Help

Hello and Welcome.

Take them off XMP and instead set them manually. You might need to reset bios to defaults and reboot before this step will "take'

You lost me on "I'm used to BIOSes that when you choose save and exit reboot the computer and let you go back into BIOS."
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      You lost me on "I'm used to BIOSes that when you choose save and exit reboot the computer and let you go back into BIOS."
      Thanks for the reply! I'll try that... I think I have, but I'll do it more carefully.

And I was saying that on other computers I've used, when you choose "save and exit" in BIOS the computer rePOSTs so you can choose to go back into BIOS without going into the OS or by pressing the reset of power button. But with this board, when I choose "save and exit" it continues to boot and goes straight to Windows and doesn't go though POST again, and so I can't get back into UEFI untill I restart in Windows or by pressing the power or reset buttons.

Comment

Ok, that was easy... I changed the XMP box to Auto and chose 1840 in the DRAM Frequency box and I can verify it in CPU-Z (shows 920 MHz. 920x2=1840)

Any idea why it gives my the odd choices? 920, 1225, 1532, 1840, 2145...? Why not 1333, 1600, 1866?

Comment

Other than Auto were you offered 1866? Might choose 1866 and manually enter the timings 9-10-9-28 and check that the dram voltage got set properly too.

Post a screenshot of what the SPD tab in CPU-z. I wonder what is programmed on the sticks SPD.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Cypert View Post
            ..., when I choose "save and exit" it continues to boot and goes straight to Windows and doesn't go though POST again, and so I can't get back into UEFI untill I restart in Windows or by pressing the power or reset buttons.
            That sounds like you're using a wireless keyboard?

If so, any chance you currently have the dongle plugged into one of the USB 3.0 slots, instead of a USB 2.0 slot?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	753445

Ok, so it's running at 920 MHz still, so it's close. No, it doesn't give me the option for 1866 in UEFI anymore, just those other numbers.

And as for the UEFI not rePOSTing after saving settings... I was either imagining it or it stopped. So now when I save and exit, it does POST again and I can enter back into UEFI without hard-rebooting or booting the OS and rebooting their.

Thanks for the help! I'm fine with 1840 MHz instead of 1866, I just wonder why it's like that... I need to mess with the CPU overclock in the UEFI settings and see if that changes something.

Comment

Oh. When I over clock in UEFI it lowers the frequency because it has to. Apparently that's how overclocking the CPU works.

That's what I'm reading some places at least.

I'm new to OC'ing :)

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Cypert View Post
                  Oh. When I over clock in UEFI it lowers the frequency because it has to. Apparently that's how overclocking the CPU works.

That's what I'm reading some places at least.
                  Best to get it stable at stock and let it run there until you understand what is what.

As once again, you lost me at "When I over clock in UEFI it lowers the frequency because it has to." :)

Comment

Yeah, so in UEFI at the top of the OC Tweaker page I can select to overclock the CPU by 5%, 10%, 15% etc... If I leave overclocking off, I can select the normal DRAM frequencies of 1333, 1600, 1866 etc... But when I chose to overclock the CPU the DRAM frequency choices change. When I OC the CPU to 4 GHz then the DRAM frequency choices are the ones I listed in an early post. If I OC to something else, the frequency choices change again. So the UEFI is automatically adjusting the DRAM frequency choices to account for the overclocked CPU (and the other changes to buses or voltages or whatever it changes when I select to OC the CPU by whatever percentage).

Because I read somewhere that when you OC the CPU you have to lower the RAM speed because raising the CPU speed raises everything. So the RAM may be unstable at the higher speeds when you OC the CPU. So the RAM speed has to be recalculated when overclocking the CPU.

So if what I read is true, than that's what UEFI is doing.

Comment

Ahhh, now I understand what you meant, and why you are/were seeing those weird timings.

I saw the NB Freq of 2300 in that screenie but was hesitant to ask. I was going on you were oc'ing manually.

Comment

Working...
                      X