No announcement yet.

Access Violation at Address 00433D27 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Access Violation at Address 00433D27 ?

Great, glad it is working fine for you, there could be little better gift than getting one's wife off their back.

So all is good... with a couple exceptions.

When you wrote "unidentified items" in Device Manager, are they listed under Unknown devices? I imagine they are.

That is interesting, since I am involved in another thread about a similar thing happening in Windows 8. One of those unknown devices may be the same as in the other thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...ice-error.html

In that thread, the problem is with a USB interface, and although not mentioned by the OP, I am guessing it is one of the USB 3.0 interfaces. Your board has USB 3.0 support provided by the Intel B75 chipset, with two USB 3.0 ports on the rear I/O panel (blue), and a header on the board for connection to a PC case's USB 3.0 port, if it has one.

I noticed that the Windows 8 download page for the board in the thread above did not list an Intel USB 3.0 driver, but the Windows 7 download page does. Same for my ASRock board, and your's too. I'm guessing that Windows 8 should have a USB 3.0 driver that works with the Intel chipsets, but either it doesn't, or it has problems.

Did you happen to try any of the USB 3.0 ports to see if they work? Connecting a USB flash drive of any type to them would be a good test.

All this may not be related to those two unknown devices, but if you could do us a favor, try the Intel USB 3.0 ports on the rear I/O panel of your board with some kind of USB device, and post the results. Regardless of the results, that would add to our knowledge about Windows 8, and potential driver issues. I have a feeling that may be the tip of a small, but bothersome iceberg regarding Windows 8 drivers... I hope not.

Forgive me for saying this, but if you have two unknown devices, all is not 100% well. You might have not installed a certain driver for a less obvious device, or there is one of the many features your board has, that is enabled in the BIOS/UEFI that does not have its corresponding software installed, so is broken. ASRock has so many of these features enabled by default, drives me crazy since I don't use most of them, and always must disable them, or at least check, after a UEFI update or BIOS clear.

At one time, I worked directly across the street from the Sears tower. That was in the time shortly after its construction. On very windy days, tall buildings like that literally sway back and forth by a foot or two. When that happened, a few of the glass windows would be squeezed, crack, shatter, or literally pop out of their frame, and crash down to the street below! They had special vehicles to vacuum up the glass, I saw them working, and the street (Jackson Blvd.) would be blocked off. They have since then taken care of that little issue...
    Last edited by parsec; 12-22-2012, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      So all is good... with a couple exceptions.

When you wrote "unidentified items" in Device Manager, are they listed under Unknown devices? I imagine they are.
      Yes that's correct.

That is interesting, since I am involved in another thread about a similar thing happening in Windows 8. One of those unknown devices may be the same as in the other thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...ice-error.html
      I shall have a read up on it.

In that thread, the problem is with a USB interface, and although not mentioned by the OP, I am guessing it is one of the USB 3.0 interfaces. Your board has USB 3.0 support provided by the Intel B75 chipset, with two USB 3.0 ports on the rear I/O panel (blue), and a header on the board for connection to a PC case's USB 3.0 port, if it has one.

I noticed that the Windows 8 download page for the board in the thread above did not list an Intel USB 3.0 driver, but the Windows 7 download page does. Same for my ASRock board, and your's too. I'm guessing that Windows 8 should have a USB 3.0 driver that works with the Intel chipsets, but either it doesn't, or it has problems.

Did you happen to try any of the USB 3.0 ports to see if they work? Connecting a USB flash drive of any type to them would be a good test.

All this may not be related to those two unknown devices, but if you could do us a favor, try the Intel USB 3.0 ports on the rear I/O panel of your board with some kind of USB device, and post the results. Regardless of the results, that would add to our knowledge about Windows 8, and potential driver issues. I have a feeling that may be the tip of a small, but bothersome iceberg regarding Windows 8 drivers... I hope not.
      Oddly enough while I was having all my driver issues the front USB3.0 port was working, but the USB2.0 beside it was not. The USB 2.0s on the rear I/O panel were working also. Now having updated and loaded the latest drivers my USB 3.0 and 2.0 on the front panel no longer works, but the rear 3s and 2s do?

This brings me to another connection problem which I'm having which I had hoped to have solved myself but alas so far I have not. The case I did this new build in is a Thermatake V4 with USB 3.0 plus built in PSU. Now the PSU has had minimal labels attached to most of the different cables coming out of it, I think it's assumed you know whats what, and the manual is very minimalist also. Anyway looking at the MB I have 2 USB headers at positions 22 and 25 on the schematic for the MB.The header on the MB has a row of 5 pins plus a row of 4 pins below it, are these two rows of pins related in anyway?

Coming from the PSU I have found one 5 pin connector with VCC, USB+, USB-, and GND and also a 4 pin connector which I have no idea what or where it's for as there is no markings on it, do these two plugs combine for 5/4 pin combination on the header?

Forgive me for saying this, but if you have two unknown devices, all is not 100% well. You might have not installed a certain driver for a less obvious device, or there is one of the many features your board has, that is enabled in the BIOS/UEFI that does not have its corresponding software installed, so is broken. ASRock has so many of these features enabled by default, drives me crazy since I don't use most of them, and always must disable them, or at least check, after a UEFI update or BIOS clear.
      Yes you are right of course, and it will take a bit more investigation by me to find out what indeed it may be, that is if I can actually find it.

At one time, I worked directly across the street from the Sears tower. That was in the time shortly after its construction. On very windy days, tall buildings like that literally sway back and forth by a foot or two. When that happened, a few of the glass windows would be squeezed, crack, shatter, or literally pop out of their frame, and crash down to the street below! They had special vehicles to vacuum up the glass, I saw them working, and the street (Jackson Blvd.) would be blocked off. They have since then taken care of that little issue...
      It was certainly a more relaxed and loving period way back then, ah the memories

Comment

Can you provide the brand name and model number of your psu?
        The Thermaltake website does not show a V4 case with an included power supply, so it looks like the seller bundled a psu that could be any brand.
        I'm hoping that you don't have a low end cheapy generic psu.
        Can you post a picture of the cable ends for the 5-pin and 4-pin psu connectors?

The specifications show that your case's front panel has a USB 2.0 x 2 setup.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Do NOT connect your PSU to the nine pin (four pin + five pin) USB headers on your board!!!

That four pin connector from your PSU is probably a floppy disk drive power connector.

ALL the USB connections on your board, whether from the rear I/O panel, or from the nine pin headers on your board, are supplied power from the mother board itself. The 24 pin main PSU cable from the PSU supplies ALL the power for USB.

The nine pin headers (which are not two separate headers of four and five pins) are used for providing USB 2.0 only connections to the PC case. Any USB 2.0 ports on the PC case, will have a cable that has a nine pin plug that fits onto the nine pin header on the board. The nine pin USB 2.0 header supplies two USB 2.0 ports with data and power connections, even if the case only uses one set of connections.

Are you sure those connectors you described are coming from the PSU? They sound like the power and data connections for the USB 2.0 header I just described above. There has got to be a manual somewhere describing the connections for that case.

How are you connecting the USB 3.0 plug on your PC case, to the board? There is a special connector for supplying a USB 3.0 connection to the PC case, that is header 11 in your picture. Some cases run a USB 3.0 cable from the case's front panel, out the back and into a USB 3.0 port on the rear I/O panel. Is that what you have, or what?

USB 3.0 is compatible with USB 2.0, so you can use a USB 2.0 device in a USB 3.0 port.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
            The Thermaltake website does not show a V4 case with an included power supply, so it looks like the seller bundled a psu that could be any brand.
            The specifications show that your case's front panel has a USB 2.0 x 2 setup.
            Regionally(AU and NZ, with OP in AU), it appears Tt offered the VM350B1W2A, "Thermaltake V4 Mid Tower Case USB 3.0 w/ 500W PSU". But damn if I can find any specs on any regional Tt site or the web.

#1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thanks fellas for the continuing support.

In answer to what PSU it is it can be found at Thermaltake - Australia - Litepower 500W OEM - W0394. I have added an attachment of the cables coming out of the PSU although it still does not show them up real close. Another thing the case specs do not mention is there is also a USB 3.0 cable for the front USB 3.0 port which is connected to header # 11. I think I have probably answered my own question by doing this little exercise and indeed should not be using any of these other plugs. What I do need to figure out is how to get my front 2 USB ports working, and as you said in an earlier post Parsec it still maybe a driver I have not installed?

Cheers,
              John

Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU Power Connectors.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	753433

Comment

The picture of the cables, and their descriptions, are quite clear, IMO. They all provide power from the PSU, and only supply power from the PSU, no data carrying cables whatsoever, and I would not expect any to be there.

A 4-pin Floppy Connector is just that, a power connector for a floppy disk drive. But that is all it is useful for, the end, ignore it unless you use a floppy drive.

The five pin SATA connector X 3 is for providing power to SATA HDDs, SSDs, and optical drives. SATA data cables are a different thing. Do you have some old PATA IDE drives, that use ribbon cables, and molex connectors for power? Your Intel 520 SSD has a SATA power connector for use with that cable, and your HDD too. Your 520 should include a SATA data cable, unless you bought an OEM unit.

There are NO cables from a PSU that supply power for USB directly. ALL USB power is provided by the mother board, via the 24 pin PSU connector.

Zero data cables there, including USB. A USB connection, either on a mother boards I/O panel, a boards external USB header connection, or a USB connector on a PC case, provides both power and data connections in one plug.

The USB 2.0 plugs on your PC case should have a cable running from it, with a rectangular plug that connects to the nine pin USB header on your board that I described earlier. Each nine pin USB 2.0 header on your board provides data and power connections for two USB 2.0 ports on a PC case. USB 2.0 does not need a driver since at least Vista, maybe even XP.

Same thing for the USB 3.0 plug on your case, but what connection is found on the end of the cable depends on how modern the case is.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I will have to lay low for the next day at least as Xmas is approaching rapidly.

Whatever your beliefs or persuasion may I wish everyone a VERY SAFE & MERRY XMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR for 2013 !

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X