Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help Updating Asrock 970 Extreme 4 Bios

I just received a new Asrock 970 Extreme4 with Bios version 1.9
    However I will need Bios version 2.20 to run the new Piledriver FX-4300.
    I have bench tested this mobo using a X4 945.
    I have downloaded the 2.2 bios, Extracted (unzipped) file and saved to a usb2 flash drive for use with Instant Flash program.

1. Can I use the X4 945 or do I have to switch to the FX-4300 in order to flash the Bios?
    2. Do I have to Clear the CSMOS Prior to- After- or not at all.
    3. Do I have to set Bios defaults once the bios is updated ?

As I have never updated any Bios before (due to the warning of complete motherboard failure) I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this subject.

Re: Need help Updating Asrock 970 Extreme 4 Bios

1. Use the x4 installed to flash/update the BIOS.
    2. I've always made it a point to clear and then reboot, then set to Defaults, then reboot again, and now flash
    3. Yes. After flashing always set to Defaults, and reboot once again afterwards before tweaking
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      1. Use the x4 installed to flash/update the BIOS.
      2. I've always made it a point to clear and then reboot, then set to Defaults, then reboot again, and now flash
      3. Yes. After flashing always set to Defaults, and reboot once again afterwards before tweaking
      And a note.

I would perform all of the above with the x4 installed and only afterwards power down and unplug from wall then swap the FX in.

In 3 above, do not tweak until you have the FX in. Once you get the FX in it would be a good idea to set to Defaults and reboot again prior to tweaking.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

wardog's advice is good, but I just flash to the new version, and have never had problems.

Instant flash works very well in my experience, never a problem on two ASR boards.

Comment

Working...
        X