extreme11 boot from sas port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extreme11 boot from sas port

simple question. just got this board and a seagate cheetah 15k 600 gig SAS drive.

installing win2012 datacenter (or trying to). sees drive but says i cant boot to it.

so does this board support using its SAS ports as the only ports or do i need to get a SAS controller to do this?

this is being built into a server/workstation for a home lab. VMs and SQL Server 2012 enterprise will live there.

starting with 32 gig memory but will add more. also may consider a SSD but was hoping enterprise SSD would come down in price first.

thanks for any info

Re: extreme11 boot from sas port

Originally posted by tolnep View Post
    simple question. just got this board and a seagate cheetah 15k 600 gig SAS drive.

installing win2012 datacenter (or trying to). sees drive but says i cant boot to it.

so does this board support using its SAS ports as the only ports or do i need to get a SAS controller to do this?

this is being built into a server/workstation for a home lab. VMs and SQL Server 2012 enterprise will live there.

starting with 32 gig memory but will add more. also may consider a SSD but was hoping enterprise SSD would come down in price first.

thanks for any info
    i'll reply to my own quote. i guess im the only person around here that owns one. maybe the only person in amerika that owns one.

you have the enable LSI and then boot from LSI.

more fun.. my nice expensive 1866 corsair dominator-gt memory didnt work. 4 eight gig sticks all failed extensive memtest one stick at a time in multiple slots to verify.

bought some cheap 4 gig sticks 1600 to test and they work. so rma'd the memory back to newegg and ordered some cheaper 1600 sticks for 32 gigs.

i THINK the problem may have been my CPU didnt support the mem speed.

i also had to rma my first mboard. dead on arrival. would not even start to cycle (not a mem issue). second one works fine (with the 1600 mem). been building systems for 20 years or so and each new build (all more or less high end workstations) gets harder to get all the parts, software, bios and add in cards to work....

Comment

Working...
    X