Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 990FX Extreme 4 : BIOS and USB boot problems

Please help me with these issues.
    I tried to google for similar issues but there are no same issues or solutions provided.
    I also send email to asrock tech support, but I have not received any replies.

Bios problem:
    My default BIOS is 1.20 and everything works good.
    then I tried updating my bios to 2.0 since I will be upgrading my CPU to pilediver.
    after the update I cleared the CMOS to have the dafult configuration on the bios,
    disabled boot logo, and changed sata connection to AHCI mode, enabled S.M.A.R.T. then save.
    the problem is when I try to boot POST result does not beep anymore, Dr. debug shows different codes but mostly I see code 59 (southbridge initialization?).
    also S.M.A.R.T. results are gone.
    Its behavior is like its already loading my OS without finishing the boards POST.
    I downgraded the bios to 1.80 , reset to default, and done the same minor bios configuration but its still the same.
    does it really behave like that or there is something really wrong?
    *during the update/revert back process of the bios my OS drive is now corrupted. I have to reinstall it after I find a solution

Boot from USB problem:
    I created a linux live CD/USB and tried to boot from it.
    but the loading hangs and it does not continue to load on my PC.
    I tried to use this USB to my friends PC but its working fine, I can install/boot my linux live CD/USB to my friends PC.
    I also tried to install it to my OS drive using my friends pc, it worked fine but grub now fails because its not pointing to the correct mount point. I still have to run my live CD/USB on my own PC to fix this issue.
    do you have any workaround for this?

please ask if there is anything that seems unclear. thanks so much.

Re: 990FX Extreme 4 : BIOS and USB boot problems

If you installed Windows in IDE mode, you cannot simply change to AHCI mode, the PC won't boot, that is normal. Change back to IDE and see if it boots.

To use AHCI mode, either install the OS in AHCI mode, or search for the registry update needed to allow changing from IDE to AHCI. Just google on "changing from IDE to AHCI".

How do you know your OS drive is corrupted?

Comment

I can boot my OS on my HDD without any problem, it is the POST that I am worried.
      No beep and no SMART result is like there is a problem on this board.
      if this is normal on 2.0 and 1.8 bios I dont need to worry then.

what is not booting actually is the live CD installed in the thumb drive/USB, it is working fine on other PC but not mine.

about the corruption, I was stuck at the welcome screen, tried to boot via safe mode and its OK.
      maybe its all in the drivers, but i cant install/uninstall them in safe mode.
      I also checked system event and there are multiple corrupted files logged.
      reinstalling the OS is not a problem to me, I just need the USB boot to work.

thanks for the help. :D

Comment

Since you're early on into this I suggest you reinstall the OS the proper way instead of the "registry hack' method.

Is the WD 250GB Blue going to be the drive you install the OS onto, in AHCI mode?

If so, first check that all your HD's support NCQ. So long as they do support NCQ, follow the Online User Manual
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

yes I'm installing my OS in my WD BLUE and I do remove my other drives leaving my optical drive and WD blue.
          as for the NCQ, I'm still looking for the technical specs of my drives. is there any way to check this in my board?
          my support CD is missing and I just downloaded all the drivers from asrock site.
          I can't see any AHCI diskette drive utility in there.

to clear things up, this is how I always install my OS.
          1. remove all unnecessary drives, (optical disk drive and HDD for OS installation is left)
          2. boot and enter bios settings, boot priority ODD then HDD.
          3. set sata to AHCI mode including marvel sata,then enable SMART.
          4. save and reboot, then install my win7 OS, drivers.
          *notes: on bios 1.20, I can hear the POST beep status(single beep, means all things are ok) everytime my machine restarts/boot
          but on BIOSes 1.70, 1.80 and 2.00 no POST beep can be heard.
          unless I enter the bios setup menu, that is when I hear the single beep sound.
          also during the whole part of installation and onwards no other problems are encountered. aside from no smart display and no beep sound.
          all things are working fine, provided that I disregard the SMART and beep issue.

as for the live CD, I am using two ISO's, KUBUNTU 12.10 64bit CD version and salix live 13.37 xfce version 64bit.
          before this posting, I burned these two ISO's directly into DVD.
          I tried to boot from these two dvd's but it hangs after the grub boot/menu selection.
          on kubuntu : i select run kubuntu from the menu > it will display some logs and then hangs.
          on salix : I select run salix 13.37 from the choices > same result with kubuntu.

I have another machine to try, the board is ASROCK N68-S3 UCC.
          it does not have ACHI mode for sata, is it ok to install my linux in this board?
          I'll transfer my WD blue and ODD in there.

thanks so much for the help. :D

Comment

Originally posted by ryu_shinobi View Post
            as for the NCQ, I'm still looking for the technical specs of my drives. is there any way to check this in my board?
            Nope. Manufacturers site. Or Google like I did using the model # and include NCQ at the end.

my support CD is missing and I just downloaded all the drivers from asrock site.
            I can't see any AHCI diskette drive utility in there.
            Look in the OS of choice's Downloads section for "SATA RAID Driver (For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation)" and hover you mouse over the D/L link and you'll see something like "ftp://174.142.97.10/drivers/AMD/SATA/Floppy_x..X..x.zip" as the actual downloadable file.

If those don't work, they do contain the AHCI drivers, let me know and I'll create them using my Support CD here and upload them somewhere for you.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
              Nope. Manufacturers site. Or Google like I did using the model # and include NCQ at the end.
              checked them with google and all of them are NCQ supported,
              the result i have seen are from smarthdd.com, don't know if its reliable though.
              here are the models of my HDD's just in case.
              1 - WD2500AAJS-00V4A0 (250GB)
              2 - ST31000524AS (1TB)
              1 - ST2000DM001-1CH164 (2TB)
              1 - ST2000DL003-9VT166 (2TB)

Look in the OS of choice's Downloads section for "SATA RAID Driver (For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation)" and hover you mouse over the D/L link and you'll see something like "ftp://174.142.97.10/drivers/AMD/SATA/Floppy_x..X..x.zip" as the actual downloadable file.

If those don't work, they do contain the AHCI drivers, let me know and I'll create them using my Support CD here and upload them somewhere for you.
              got them now and extracted, do I need to place these drivers in my live cd or install it directly on windows?

Comment

do I need to place these drivers in my live cd or install it directly on windows?

Comment

ahh okay, its quite clear now.
                  i just need to replace the AHCI driver being used by windows install to the driver i downloaded before proceeding on installation.
                  so what I am using as of today is some incomplete AHCI driver provided by windows.
                  and when my board boots, it sees some issue on my AHCI mode and so it does not beep.

ok that clear some things up, I just have to install it again and check if it would resolve my 2nd issue.

thanks for the help. :D

Comment

OK, after trying to reinstall my OS including the AHCI driver downloaded,Windows 7 installer says that it is not a signed driver so it does not continue to load.
                    Also on on the directions included in the manual there is no need to load AHCI driver.
                    Using SATA3 HDDs with NCQ and Hot Plug functions (AHCI mode)
                    What is really important to me now it how to boot those linux live CD's i burned.
                    I still have no idea why they hang during loading in the first place. :(

Comment

What is really important to me now it how to boot those linux live CD's i burned.
                      I still have no idea why they hang during loading in the first place. :(
                      I'd suggest checking your downloads against their MD5 hashes, and that you're using a quality DVD medium.

I just downloaded the Kubuntu 12.10 x64 ISO(kubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64.iso), burned it to a Verbatim DVD-R, and it loaded in "Live' mode just fine.

DVD in drive(stop the wubi and install popup), reboot, press F11 at the ASRock boot screen, chose the "AHCI:Optiarc AD-7240S" drive, and it took right off to the Kubuntu desktop. Toyed around for about an hour and checked out a few things and all was normal.

edit: Try installing Windows w/o the F6 AHCI drivers and once it's installed see if in Dev Mgr it will let you update them to what you already have
                      Last edited by - wardog -; 12-09-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Both of my ISO's are MD5 checksum verified and working on different machines.
                        I'll try later to boot without any HDD attached and check if it really boots on my machine.

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                        I'd suggest checking your downloads against their MD5 hashes, and that you're using a quality DVD medium.
                        edit: Try installing Windows w/o the F6 AHCI drivers and once it's installed see if in Dev Mgr it will let you update them to what you already have
                        will check this one out.
                        thanks.

Comment

ok after trying, I think I'll just ignore the missing POST beep in my board.
                          my machine works fine anyway.

about the boot of my live CD's.
                          I tried booting with only my ODD (all HDD's removed) then changed AHCI mode to IDE mode.
                          it continues to boot now.
                          then I inserted back my OS drive, revert back to ACHI mode and now my live CD is booting up.
                          been able to install my Linux now.
                          the problem is that I cant install grub.
                          but its a different issue so I'll just research on that.

Thanks for great help, very much appreciated. :D

Comment

Working...
                          X