only VGA output from Z77 Extreme4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only VGA output from Z77 Extreme4

I just installed a Z77 Extreme4 with a Core i5-3570k, and only the VGA output works. DVI and HDMI both don't produce any signal that my monitor can detect. This is not just in Windows, but in the UEFI as well. The UEFI screen that shows a picture of the motherboard and lets you click on components does show that it detects cables plugged in to the HDMI and DVI ports, however. I tried setting IGPU support for multiple monitors "on" in the UEFI, but it changes nothing.

Re: only VGA output from Z77 Extreme4

And your monitor is...

Comment

Gateway FPD2185W, running at its native mode of 1680x1050, 32-bit color. I forgot to mention that I tested the HDMI output via a known good HDMI-to-DVI adapter, because the monitor doesn't have an HDMI port. The DVI port is supposed to be HDCP-compliant, if it matters.

The only other device that's ever given me a problem with that monitor was a European-made satellite receiver that would only output 50Hz frames. I'm assuming that that isn't the problem here, because the Intel graphics control panel states that it's running at 60Hz -- indeed, it doesn't allow me to select any other option at that resolution.

Comment

I used the Intel graphics briefly on the same board and CPU, and actually started the board the first time using the HDMI output, and it worked fine.

Did you have the VGA cable connected to the PC and monitor when you tried the other cables? I don't know if there's a priority or default output selection, just a thought. Some monitors will not auto select the input, can you select which input is used on the monitor itself?

Are you using the latest BIOS/UEFI on your board, some later versions mention an update to the VBIOS.

Intel has an updated video driver for both Windows 7 64 and 32 bit (you are using the 32 bit version?) for their Z77 boards, which is newer than the one on ASR's download page:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DownloadType=

Comment

The first time I booted the new system, I had only the DVI cable connected. After I discovered that the VGA output worked, I left both VGA and DVI connected for subsequent testing.

The monitor lets me select inputs manually.

I'm running BIOS version 2.40. The only newer one on ASRock's page is 2.50, which only says "improve usb compatibility".

I hadn't noticed that Intel had a newer graphics driver, I might try that one, but the lack of video in the BIOS isn't encouraging towards it being a software issue.

Comment

Updated the drivers, no change. I might try the BIOS update tonight, depending on how much time I have.

Comment

Updated the BIOS to the very newest, 2.70, no change.

Comment

I checked on your monitor on the Internet, a rather old model that seems to have a history of problems, including the DVI input not working. Google even provided a link to "Gateway fpd2185w problems" when I searched on the monitor name. Check that for more info.

I would not conclude that the Intel graphics have a problem until you test them with another monitor.

Comment

I know that those monitors tend to go buggy, but so far mine seems to have avoided that.

I tested another device on the monitor, no problems. I also tried plugging the motherboard's HDMI output into my TV, with no results, except I forgot to set the output to a TV-compatible resolution before I tried it. However, wouldn't the BIOS either come up in a VGA-compatible mode, or sense the display's resolution, to ensure that it's visible? The TV acted like there was no signal whatsoever, which is different than when it gets a bad signal (I've tried with PAL devices before.)

Comment

I'm bumping this to add that I RMA'd the board with my vendor, and the replacement acts exactly the same!

Is there some kind of compatibility issue with this board and this monitor?

Comment

I would try a diffrent monitor if you can lay tour hands on one. I am betting it is a driver issue...

Comment

Working...
                      X