ASRock Z77 Extreme3 SSD Raid 0 Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z77 Extreme3 SSD Raid 0 Trouble

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to help me.

This is my first Raid 0 build, and I'm having some trouble. I've an ASRock Extreme3 and two G.Skill Phoenix III 120 GB SSDs (SATA 6 Gb/s), trying to install Windows 7 64 bit on a Raid 0 configuration. When I enter the UEFI setup, I go to Advanced -> Storage Configuration and set the SATA Mode Selection to RAID. (Google tells me that some volume setup window is supposed to appear? Nothing does.) Under SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 my drives are detected. I save and exit, pop in Windows and start the setup. When it comes time to select a drive/partition, it only shows one of my SSDs at a 120 GB partition. I tried installing the RAID drivers from ASRock, but once that is completed windows setup tells me I cannot install windows on that drive. If I click refresh I get the same message (Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300001.). Can anyone with some experience help guide me through the process or help point out what I'm doing wrong? I'm really excited to get this build to work and really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks a lot.

Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme3 SSD Raid 0 Trouble

Update: In the Raid Setup Guide document it mentions to press Ctrl + i to enter the Intel Raid Utility. This option is never prompted. If I have my Windows CD in the drive it goes right ahead to Installation Setup. If I don't, then it tells me "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". What am I missing that would cause me to not have the ctrl + i option?

Comment

Another Update: I've updated my BIOS to P1.20 and still no luck. Anyone out there that can help me? I've spent far too much time on this :(

Comment

I have no clue what you are referring to about what you Googled, it makes no sense.

Have your SATA mode for the Intel SATA chipset set to RAID, and be sure your SSDs are connected to the Intel SATA III ports.

Your problem getting the Intel RAID utility started with Ctrl i is probably because the UEFI Boot Screen option AddOn ROM Display is not enabled, be sure that it is. You should also have Full Screen Logo enabled

You must also have a wired keyboard at this stage, a wireless keyboard won't work until your OS and wireless keyboard drivers are installed.

The Intel RAID Utility will display by pressing Ctrl i during POST, BEFORE you would get into the UEFI by pressing DEL. Start the PC, and as soon as you see the first ASRock screen displayed, start pressing Ctrl i. It's easy to miss it. If you do, restart again.

Once it is started, you create you RAID 0 volume, when that is complete, restart and you should see the Intel utility displayed during POST, showing your RAID 0 volume. After that, do your Windows installation again, it should find your RAID volume. Do NOT have any other drives connected to the PC, or Windows may put the MBR on another drive.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the response. SATA Mode is absolutely certain to be in RAID mode, and the SSDs are definitely connected to SATA3_0 and SATA3_1. Full Screen Logo is definitely enabled and AddOn ROM Display is definitely enabled. I have tried spamming Ctrl + i as soon as the computer gets power with no luck. The keyboard I'm using is wired, and I considered the idea that one of my SSDs are DoA but BIOS detects them and Windows setup would let me select either of them to install to.

One thing that doesn't seem right to me is that the ASRock IS the screen where I hit del to get to the UEFI. But like I said, I've tried what you said several times to just spam Ctrl + i as soon as it gets power....no luck. Any other thoughts? I don't have to have some software in a bootable device to get the raid utility to show up or anything do I?

Comment

On my Z77 EX 4 board, I had no problems getting the Intel RAID utility to run, without any software or bootable device installed. You should not need that.

Check if you have Fast Boot in the Boot Screen set to anything besides Disabled, that must be Disabled for the RAID utility to display.

In the Advanced section of the UEFI, Disable Intel Rapid Start (not related to RAID, and you won't need this feature) and Disable Intel Smart Connect (a worthless feature IMO.) My manual states the default is Disabled, but I always find them enabled after a CMOS clear.

In the Storage Configuration screen, Disable SATA Aggressive Link Power Management, and never use it.

Comment

Thanks for the continued support. I've set everything according to what you said and I see no difference.

However, for experimentation, I connected an old HDD to a SATA 2 port on the motherboard. Suddenly, the RAID Configuration Utility started appearing when I power on. However, it only shows the HDD and a single SSD. To me, this sounded like I had a bad SSD. I removed one, booted - it detected it in the RAID Utility. I replaced the remaining SSD with the one I removed, and it STILL detected it in the RAID Utility. In other words, if I have an HDD connected, the RAID Utility appears. If no HDD, no RAID. I have both of my SSDs "SATA Device Type" set to [Solid State Drive], but changing it seems to make no difference.

Does this tell you anything?

Edit: I also tried using the SATA 2 port the HDD was plugged in on for one of the SSDs (then the other) to see if maybe I had a bad port or anything. Even with moving them around, it does not give me the option to create a RAID volume with any combination of the two SSDs.

Keep in mind that my BIOS DOES detect both SSDs, it's the RAID Utility that doesn't seem to be picking them up...
              Last edited by Ironmaningellis; 12-02-2012, 04:34 PM.

Comment

That is just weird and makes no sense, no offense. I've never seen that myself.

IMO, the UEFI/BIOS is confused with the changing connections of drives. Since the SSDs appear in the UEFI, the cables and power should be fine.

So, with just the two SSDs connected, clear the CMOS/BIOS with the jumper on the board. Power MUST be off and unplugged from the AC outlet. Keep the jumper in the clear position for a minute or two, and then put it back to the normal position. That will reset all the settings to default, so you must get into the UEFI and change them back, setting the SATA mode to RAID being among the most important. Don't forget to disable the things I mentioned, otherwise use the default settings. Enable the Add on ROM display, and Full Screen logo.

Once you fix the UEFI settings, restart and try Ctrl i again. I forgot to mention that there is no prompt to press Ctrl i, or a pause to let you do it, as you likely know by now. I suggest you be ready to press Ctrl and i, but don't until you see the RAID utility screen displayed, as it should once RAID is set as the SATA mode.

Comment

I absolutely agree that it makes no sense, but it's exactly like I've told you.

I've tried clearing the CMOS and starting fresh just like you've suggested, and no luck. Since ASRock seems to have a non-existing customer support, I've called G.Skill who seems to be very willing to help. They're going to see if they can reproduce my problem, and should get back to me within the next few days (said the G.Skill tech representative). If they get back to me with an answer or solution, I'll post it here so we can have some closure :) Otherwise, I guess I've lucked out with this build.

Thanks for all your help parsec.

Comment

On my Z77 EX 4 board, I've created RAID volumes on two different Intel SSDs, and an OCZ SSD, using the RAID utility you are having trouble with. Could be one of the SSDs is bad, or the boards UEFI has a problem with your SSDs. Good luck with that.

Comment

I was wondering if you ever solved this problem. I bought 3 extreme motherboards to build some workstations with western digital re4 drives and was planning to put them in a raid 1 configuration. The problem is that the option to enter the intel raid utility at boot up never appears. It like that for all three boards.

Comment

In order for the RAID utility to appear during POST, the SATA mode must be set to RAID for the Intel SATA chipset, and you must enter Ctrl i during POST, just like you would press the Del key to enter the BIOS. Not much information given in your post, so gotta ask...

Comment

Working...
                        X