Asrock On Holiday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock On Holiday?

I've entered 3 support requests over the last 3 weeks and had not a single response to any of them.

I have come to the conclusion either

a) Asrock are on an extended holiday (but its not Chinese New Year!) ?
    b) Asrock support are awfully incompetent
    c) Asrock support are awfully behind (and not smart enough to manage expectations by telling us when we request support).

Neither is a good result.

Meth

Re: Asrock On Holiday?

or
    d) the issue is something they don't know or consider support and have ignored the request.

I had something I eventually figured out myself (had done a bios update and didn't wipe the cmos settings afterward and it gave strange problems) and to this day they have not answered my original support request lol. that was in September. I even PM'd Emily and didn't get any sort of response from her either.

Is it something we can help with?

Syn

Comment

You didn't even get an automated "Thank you for your interest in ASRock products..." response? I've gotten those in the past from other companies, even though they ignored my question and comments.

It's possible that ASR is looking into one or more of your requests, or they simply don't want to deal with an issue you have discovered.

We also forget that one or two employees of a company, that are not responsible, may simply delete or mark your request as resolved, when no such thing has occurred. Management would not approve of that, but some employees will do whatever they can get away with. (This comment is NOT targeted at anyone specifically.)

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys

Yes, I did get an ack. for the first request but not the others :-(

I've Googled extensively and could find no info so had to contact Asrock

My board is the Z77E-ITX which has a single PS/2 port (green/purple). Normally I would not bother with PS/2 but I need to run an OS called AROS and discovered that AROS does not support ALL types of USB. It seems the Asrock board doesn't have UHCI/OHCI USB only having EHCI(2.0) and XHCI(3.0) and my UHCI/OHCI devices are not working properly. So if I want to run AROS I need to use PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

My question was whether the port is for only ONE device of either kind or does it support a splitter cable and if so, is there some special cable Asrock supply or will others work (an eBay generic did not work!)

Any ideas?

Comment

Hmm. Legacy usb should allow at least the keyboard to run on USB and place your mouse on ps/2. basically the BIOS should emulate an interrupt based kb controller for old progs like msdos. make sure the legacy USB is enabled (as it should be by default). You probably have already, but I think it's worth mentioning anyway... is to try all the USB2 and USB3 ports.

A splitter probably wont work. those ports are typically mouse OR keyboard, not both. I'm surprised you managed to find a KB and mouse in ps/2 lol. I haven't seen those in years, and assumed they were extinct.

Failing all of that, last ditch effort would be to find an add-in usb controller that the OS does support. Although that may give you some difficulty with the bios, it should be do-able. I'm going to guess right now, though that your issue is that you have only one 16x PCIe slot and you need it for something else.

Probably the lack of response is due to them thinking this is unsupported. Although I agree any sort of response would be nice, even if it's "sorry, can't help ya there".

Syn

Comment

Originally posted by synack View Post
            Hmm. Legacy usb should allow at least the keyboard to run on USB and place your mouse on ps/2. basically the BIOS should emulate an interrupt based kb controller for old progs like msdos. make sure the legacy USB is enabled (as it should be by default). You probably have already, but I think it's worth mentioning anyway... is to try all the USB2 and USB3 ports.

A splitter probably wont work. those ports are typically mouse OR keyboard, not both. I'm surprised you managed to find a KB and mouse in ps/2 lol. I haven't seen those in years, and assumed they were extinct.

Failing all of that, last ditch effort would be to find an add-in usb controller that the OS does support. Although that may give you some difficulty with the bios, it should be do-able. I'm going to guess right now, though that your issue is that you have only one 16x PCIe slot and you need it for something else.

Probably the lack of response is due to them thinking this is unsupported. Although I agree any sort of response would be nice, even if it's "sorry, can't help ya there".

Syn
            I have legacy USB on and it makes no difference. AROS needs OHCI and not EHCI/XHCI. Legacy doesnt come into it as the USB ports dont have the feature they need :-(

Yes, ports are typically one or other - but SOME do support splitters hence why I wanted to ask Asrock. The manual just says PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard. Some of their boards describe the port as PS/2 Keyboard (ie Not a Mouse) so I need them to tell me.

Yes, one PCIE slot and filled with a graphics card.

Yes, even a "Sorry not supported" would be better than a wall of silence.

Comment

You are probably going to have troubles finding OHCI on a motherboard now. This is mostly deprecated due to xHCI supporting all USB1 through to USB3. You may still find a OHCI controller on an older motherboard that has only USB1 and USB2 ports. (as OHCI only supports USB1 and EHCI only supports USB2)
              I would inquire about getting xHCI USB support built into AROS, as that OS will be pretty much doomed if it cannot support current (<2years old) commodity hardware such as usb 2 or usb 3 devices.

I know you are waiting from asrock for an answer about the ps/2 port, but I am pretty sure they didn't include more than "token" support for ps/2.
              While you wait, if you have a continuity tester, you can confirm if your Y cable is correctly wired. a proper "kb/mouse splitter" should have:
              pin 1 -> kb pin 1 (data)
              pin 2 -> mouse pin 1 (data)
              pin 3 -> kb/mouse pin 3 (gnd)
              pin 4 -> kb/mouse pin4 (vcc)
              pin 5 -> KB pin 5 (clock)
              pin 6 -> mouse pin 5 (clock)

looking directly at the male connector with the square notch on top

Code:
              5  *  6
              3  *  4
                1 2
              the stars are the bar in the middle
              the female ends are mirror
              ie
              6 5
              4 3
              2 1

BTW: lots of motherboards wont detect the devices if the kb and mouse are switched.

Comment

Thanks again.

It seems a new kernel for AROS may well fix this issue at last... so maybe easier to just wait a while....

Comment

Originally posted by Methanoid View Post
                  Thanks again.

It seems a new kernel for AROS may well fix this issue at last... so maybe easier to just wait a while....
                  I have a commercially made PS2 Y cable If you PM me I can post it to you, up until a couple of weeks ago I had some USB - PS2 cables I could have sent but they've all been sold.

Comment

Thanks but I bought one from eBay and it didnt work so I suspect, as the other posters indicated, the mobo probably is either mouse or KB but NOT both

Comment

Working...
                    X