Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Locking the BIOS?

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
    Phew ..... There are so many electrical things that could go wrong by and or with not using standoffs, namely a solid reliable ground path for the mb, that I simply can't begin to fathom how the mb might still be running. Never mind permanently damaged.

Go HERE and get that mb some standoffs and screws. And after they're installed pray to the Deity of choice that you haven't permanently damaged the mb or another component or components that resides on the mb.

Wrong. Just wrong ............ The board has probably been arcing ............ against the I/O backplate looking for a ground. Then ZAP ............ It discharges .............
    No it IS connected and earthed via the screws going through the cardboard to the backplate - the m/b isn't just floating which would make it impossible to connect anything to it - but I will connect standoffs just to be really safe.

Comment

Originally posted by petersmart View Post
      No it IS connected and earthed via the screws going through the cardboard to the backplate - the m/b isn't just floating which would make it impossible to connect anything to it - but I will connect standoffs just to be really safe.
      Turning the screws tight enough to make a reliable ground while using a compressible material such as cardboard/paperboard won't, IMHO, provide a lasting and permanent path for ground. I'm of the opinion what you're experiencing bears this out. Hence the reason all mb's have a highly conductive ring that surrounds every mounting hole that the screw tightens to when threaded into each standoff.

When we initially build them up, out of the case and on a box, there isn't anything that can electrically make contact with any of the electrical pathways of the mb. Electricity follows the path provided.

And it's assumed that afterwards, when it installed in the case using standoffs, that all electrical paths are tight and secure. Hence why we go back over the screws a second(or third) time making damn sure we didn't miss one. Electricity follows the path provided.

Give electricity a chance, such as you have here, to take a path with lessor resistance and you create an intermittent short that will arc. Creating damaging discharges.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        Turning the screws tight enough to make a reliable ground while using a compressible material such as cardboard/paperboard won't, IMHO, provide a lasting and permanent path for ground. I'm of the opinion what you're experiencing bears this out. Hence the reason all mb's have a highly conductive ring that surrounds every mounting hole that the screw tightens to when threaded into each standoff.

When we initially build them up, out of the case and on a box, there isn't anything that can electrically make contact with any of the electrical pathways of the mb. Electricity follows the path provided.

And it's assumed that afterwards, when it installed in the case using standoffs, that all electrical paths are tight and secure. Hence why we go back over the screws a second(or third) time making damn sure we didn't miss one. Electricity follows the path provided.

Give electricity a chance, such as you have here, to take a path with lessor resistance and you create an intermittent short that will arc. Creating damaging discharges.
        I believe you could be right as this morning when I turned a light on in the kitchen the PC started up - I have it set up to turn on when I turn on the main power supply to it or press a key on the keyboard.

MMM - time to install proper standoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by petersmart View Post
          I believe you could be right as this morning when I turned a light on in the kitchen the PC started up - I have it set up to turn on when I turn on the main power supply to it or press a key on the keyboard.

MMM - time to install proper standoffs.

Get however many standoffs as there are mounting holes on this particular mb. No more or no less. Extra's installed are NOT a bonus. Placement is crucial.

And tighten the standoffs down to the mb tray before lowering the mb and fastening it down with the screws.

hehe, turned on via a wall switch ..................
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Sounds like a real turn on to me
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

The reason why I wasn't too worried about standoffs was that a few years ago I got a mb which came complete with plastic standoffs so never really associated them with electricity supply.

Comment

While I agree you MUST use standoffs, your cardboard insulator was not a bad idea, even if it did not work perfectly. OTOH, I look at the hundreds of bare contacts floating a few millimeters above the mother board tray when standoffs are used, and I think, is this really a good system? It works, but just barely.

I would not feel bad if I were you, it could be worse. A recent post mentioned how someone was removing their mobo to RMA it, when the PC started... because the PS was on, still connected to the board, and connected to AC power!

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  While I agree you MUST use standoffs, your cardboard insulator was not a bad idea, even if it did not work perfectly. OTOH, I look at the hundreds of bare contacts floating a few millimeters above the mother board tray when standoffs are used, and I think, is this really a good system? It works, but just barely.

I would not feel bad if I were you, it could be worse. A recent post mentioned how someone was removing their mobo to RMA it, when the PC started... because the PS was on, still connected to the board, and connected to AC power!
                  But does the MB actually use the metal chassis of the case as an earth?

Because it seems a particularly bad idea to me if I think about it (which I never have before), and looking at another mb it doesn't actually look as if it does, since there doesn't seem to be a backplane in that area (or any area really) - all of the back of the mb is varnished except where the flow soldering has taken place and the scews on the front side also seem to have no electrical connection to anything with the standoffs merely acting to provide placement and rigidity to the mb and stop it from shorting out via the soldered connections.

Last edited by petersmart; 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

The earthing of the chassis is not necessarily related here, as much as short circuits on the mother board, when the component pins on the bottom of the board touch the mother board tray/case under it. Yes that part may be painted, but the pins/wires on the bottom of the board may scratch through the paint, and zap, a short.

Regarding earthing/grounding of the case, let's start with the PS. The PS case is connected to the third wire earth/ground wire of the AC power cord. The PS case is screwed to the PC chassis with four screws. Yes, the PS case and PC case are painted, but at least one of the screws will wear off the paint, or touch bare metal on the screw threads.

Also, the screw holes on the mobo have contacts around the holes that are conductive. Metal standoffs screwed into the case are making electrical contact with it, and the mobo screws touch the standoffs and mobo contacts.

Then there are all the earth/ground wires from the PS cables to the mobo. That does not cover everything, but it's clear that the number of earth/ground connections between the mobo, PS, and PC case are many.

Comment

Electrically speaking earth ground is actually a voltage reference point. having a power supply earthed with the motherboard not earthed *CAN* produce extreme voltages... but it's pretty rare. however having the MB grounded as well as the power supply to the same reference point (earth) eliminates that problem entirely

This is one of the reasons why I dislike when people put their motherboard on a table... they are relying on the power supply manufacturer to provide a proper ground reference to the motherboard.

Floating ground is a bad thing, read this

Comment

Originally posted by synack View Post
                        Electrically speaking earth ground is actually a voltage reference point. having a power supply earthed with the motherboard not earthed *CAN* produce extreme voltages... but it's pretty rare. however having the MB grounded as well as the power supply to the same reference point (earth) eliminates that problem entirely

This is one of the reasons why I dislike when people put their motherboard on a table... they are relying on the power supply manufacturer to provide a proper ground reference to the motherboard.

Floating ground is a bad thing, read this
                        But surely the mb is earthed - through the main power supply plug to the board - the 24 pin plug and the 4 pin plug?

And as I say a few years ago I got a mb with plastic standoffs supplied by the mb manufacture themselves.

And after Googling this it seems most opinion is that the standoffs are only there to stop shorts from the underside of the board.

And the reference you supply seems to deal mostly with electrical appliances where an unintentional floating ground can be lethal.

Last edited by petersmart; 11-27-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X