X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Sound from computer.

I can't hear anything from my computer.

• Sound is onboard
    • Onboard drivers report working fine, I have also reinstalled them.
    • Headphones work fine, tested with another device.
    • Volume meter reports sound levels through music.
    • Motherboard is an ASrock p67 Pro 3 SE
    • It's not muted.
    • All devices reported working without problems.
    • No meaningful event took place before or after.
    • Motherboard recognizes that an audio device is plugged in. (Jack should be functional)
    • Full power off done (on/off switch)
    • I have also tried a restore point

Anyone have any idea as to what is going on?
    Last edited by Medrea; 11-16-2012, 05:47 PM.

Re: No Sound from computer.

Try plugging in your headphones into the back jack (the lime green one) and see if you get audio there.
    Also check all the volume levels for each specific audio source in the volume control, and make sure the sources are not muted.

Comment

Originally posted by synack View Post
      Try plugging in your headphones into the back jack (the lime green one) and see if you get audio there.
      Also check all the volume levels for each specific audio source in the volume control, and make sure the sources are not muted.
      Yes as previously stated in the OP. I have already checked the jack and whether or not anything is muted.

Comment

The original post wasn't clear on WHICH mute or source volume you checked (there's more than one). Nor did it specify which jacks you tried. Most computers have both front and back jacks. And you can control the individual volumes/mute of each source like line-in, cd, etc... as well main the main or master volume. Just wanted to make sure you checked all of that.

Syn

Comment

All of them. And all combinations of them.

Comment

What is the audio device you are connecting to the PC? Amplifier, powered speakers, what?

Comment

Headphones, as described.

There is no volume controller attached to it either.

The headphones work.
              Last edited by Medrea; 11-17-2012, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Front jack doesnt work either. I plugged it in specifically to test it. That sort of rules out a faulty jack for sure then.

Would the onboard sound chip really die and not know it?

Comment

You've started the Windows Sound configuration option, and checked all of that?

If the chip died, which is possible, I can't see Device Manager not detecting that. The audio has never worked on this board?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                    You've started the Windows Sound configuration option, and checked all of that?

If the chip died, which is possible, I can't see Device Manager not detecting that. The audio has never worked on this board?
                    No I've had the board for a little over a year with working audio. Everything is configured correctly to the best of my knowledge, as is indicated by the volume meter showing sign of life on the correct device (3.5mm). The computer sees absolutely nothing wrong.

Going to try either a Windows or Linux Live CD to find out if reinstalling the OS would fix the issue.

And that was my feeling as well. If the jack died it wouldnt detect things correctly. If the chip died I doubt device readings would show fine. So Im guessing maybe the delivery system itself is broken?

Comment

Booted into Linux via a flash drive.

Sound still did not come back (I also restored my BIOS to default).

At this point I can't fathom there being anything I can do to bring it back so I guess I need to RMA or do something. Unless anyone has anything groundbreaking to bring to the table.

Comment

So the audio worked, and then died? Nothing at all was done between audio working, and audio dead, and I mean adding hardware or software? It just stopped one day?

Comment

Yes no significant event took place before or after. I came to my computer one day, turned a stream on, no sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Medrea View Post
                            Yes no significant event took place before or after. I came to my computer one day, turned a stream on, no sound.
                            Installed a new motherboard. problem went away.

Comment

Working...
                            X