Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whea_uncorrectable_error

Originally posted by parsec View Post
    IF a CPU is damaged from high voltages, there is no fix for that. But usually the CPU is either just dead completely, or Ok. If your board allowed disabling thermal throttling (WHY do they do that?!) and you did that, and the CPU obeyed, then who knows.

The issues with the mix of SB and IB CPUs on SB and IB boards, usually goes like this:

SB CPU on a IB board, should be Ok, my i7-2600K works fine on a Z77 board, even using the latest BIOS, which is really tuned for IB CPUs.

IB CPU on a SB board with (very important) the BIOS for a IB CPU, seems to be Ok, I've never done this.

SB CPU on a SB board, BUT with the BIOS for IB CPU compatibility, a bad mix, problems are common. This is an example of the "new, wonderful BIOS" not being so, it was not meant for SB CPUs, but no warnings are provided, I assume since the BIOS transition to support IB CPUs on a SB board signals the end of updates for SB CPU and board pairs. Two "lines" of BIOS updates really should exist, but no one does that.

If you can try your SB CPU and board (6 series chipset) pair, hopefully without the IB compatible BIOS, use it with all default CPU settings. NO manual voltage settings, all on AUTO. Enable SpeedStep for power saving, and easy running of the CPU. Leave it on the stock multiplier, give it a break. See how it goes like that, for days, and I doubt you will see much if any difference in performance. Install the drivers and IME, use it as it is meant to be used. If you have the IB compatible BIOS, just be more careful, and check for driver updates on the download page.

You're in diagnostic mode with that CPU, take it easy and see how it goes.

I have tried like you said, did not work.
    Weird is that should be like you said "But usually the CPU is either just dead completely".

Well, thank you all very much for the help!

Comment

All the components of a CPU are dependent on each other for the device to work as it should. If say the cache was damaged, or the memory controller, but the processing cores were fine, it would still fail. But I did say usually... it seems in your case it was injured to a degree that allows it to function somewhat.

So you didn't see any burn marks on the contact pads on the bottom of the CPU? All the socket contacts were fine? If the other CPU worked fine, the socket seems Ok.

It sounds like you are giving up on that CPU, which may be the right decision. You're sick of it now, not a surprise at all, and later on you could try it again, or give it to someone to test. A shame it was damaged, but that does happen. I wonder if you could get another from Intel with that new replacement program they have for CPUs, but I don't know the details. Check it out here:

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        All the components of a CPU are dependent on each other for the device to work as it should. If say the cache was damaged, or the memory controller, but the processing cores were fine, it would still fail. But I did say usually... it seems in your case it was injured to a degree that allows it to function somewhat.

So you didn't see any burn marks on the contact pads on the bottom of the CPU? All the socket contacts were fine? If the other CPU worked fine, the socket seems Ok.

It sounds like you are giving up on that CPU, which may be the right decision. You're sick of it now, not a surprise at all, and later on you could try it again, or give it to someone to test. A shame it was damaged, but that does happen. I wonder if you could get another from Intel with that new replacement program they have for CPUs, but I don't know the details. Check it out here:

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/
        No, the CPU looks perfect... it just wont work :-P Maybe running something that wont stress the CPU, it might work without errors.
        I have bought i5 3570k, running on ASRock Z77 Extreme 4... it is all good now, I have no HT, but that is ok for now... the only problem so far is that my memory G.SKILL- World leading DDR3 computer memory and SSD manufacturer -Products
        just wont work at 2133MHz, Prime95 says hardware failure... only work at 2000MHz, XMP or not.

About the Tuningplan, I really like the plan, probably I will use it on my new CPU... I live in Brazil and I bought mine in Paraguay... I will have to check it out if works for me.
        Q8) How do I return the eligible processor?
        A8) The return process depends on the purchase process. The purchaser should return the processor to the place of purchase. If the Plan was purchased directly from Intel, contact Intel customer support. .

Thank you for the advice.

Comment

Working...
        X