Extreme4 Z77 D6 Dr. Debug Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme4 Z77 D6 Dr. Debug Code

My specs are listed below. A few days ago I put my computer to sleep, remembered i needed to do one more thing, tried to boot, and got a blank screen. I needed to leave so I did not look further into the problem until later in the evening. After a few resets and clearing CMOS, the debug code on the board continually indicated D6, "No Console Output Devices are Found". I installed an old video card (Sapphire Radeon HD3400), and the system boots without an issue. Under this configuration there is no option in BIOS to choose integrated graphics as my primary graphics adapter. In addition, even though cables were connected to the onboard HDMI and VGA ports, the system browser showed them as unpopulated.
    I decided to dismantle my build, reseat heat sink, and try booting with the bare minimum connected. Still getting D6 error code. I have updated my BIOS to 2.20, cleared CMOS, etc., but I still get a blank screen and the D6 error if I try to boot using IGP. Is it possible for the IGP of the 3570K to go without affecting the CPU? Or does this seem like more of an issue with the board itself? Any suggestions on how I can test this further?
    I have tried both the HDMI and VGA ports of the motherboard with similar results. Unfortunately I do not have another board or processor I can use to test. I have only owned the system for a couple of months, and it has probably run for less than 100 hours total. In this small window of ownership though, I have had literally zero problems with this build. There was no overclocking; the only thing that I had messed with at this point was lowering the fan speeds to reduce noise. However this didn't cause an increase in temps, even under the heaviest loads I put on the system. Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

SPECS:
    ASRock Extreme4 Z77 w/ 3570K
    Integrated Graphics w/ HDMI
    8 GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
    750W OCZ ZT Series 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w/ stock fan
    Corsair Carbide Series 400R case w/ stock fans
    Crucial M4 128 GB SSD

Re: Extreme4 Z77 D6 Dr. Debug Code

"I installed an old video card (Sapphire Radeon HD3400), and the system boots without an issue. Under this configuration there is no option in BIOS to choose integrated graphics as my primary graphics adapter."

I have the same board and CPU as you, and have used it both with the integrated graphics and a separate video card. I am using the video card now, with the 2.20 UEFI. In the UEFI, Advanced menu, North Bridge Configuration option, the Primary Graphic Adapter setting shows Onboard, PCIe, and PCI. Did you check that? You're saying the Onboard option does not appear for you?

Comment

Correct. Under the Primary Graphics Adapter, the only options listed are PCI-E and PCI.
      Here's some more info for you: CPU-Z properly identifies my processor and indicates 4 cores and 4 threads. I can even overclock the processor at this point if I wanted. I tried using the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool to see if the IGP of the CPU was detected. Unfortunately it skips that portion of the test since I am currently forced to use a video card. I saw that it would be possible to run that tool from a usb or CD. I may try to figure out how to do that, boot without the video card, and blindly run the tool from flash media. The results are saved as a .txt file so I can then view them once the video card is reinstalled. This probably won't happen today (Sunday) though as I spent too much time on this yesterday, and I need to get my schoolwork/studying that I put on hold done.
      It seems this may be headed towards RMA. I am just uncertain which component to replace, CPU or mainboard.

Comment

I have the exact same problem with my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 + Core i7-3770K. D6 code, no "Onboard" choice in Primary Graphics Adapter dropdown. Another problem I'm having is the board only recognizes 2 DIMMs out of 4 installed. See my thread here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...-detected.html

A user pointed out that these two issues might be related, since IGP uses onboard memory. Have you checked that your exact memory is listed on the board's memory compatibility list?
        ASRock > Z77 Extreme4

You said "8 GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600", which I think you meant 2x4GB?
        Last edited by tickle1010; 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

So you were using the IGP since you started using the board, and the video failed after the wake from Sleep, and the rest you described well. Your board was running fine with the memory you used, and nothing was changed when this problem started, right?

That does not sound good, and the BIOS not showing the Onboard option is strange. Same for tickle1010. I use an i5-3570K with this board, with a video card, and I have the choice of Onboard in the BIOS. Don't know how to test the IGP beyond what you described. Intel also has the Processor Identification utility, but that does less than the diagnostic utility.

What BIOS version are you (both) using? This is starting to sound like a board or BIOS problem, since two identical CPUs with failed graphics on the same board at the same time is quite a coincidence, and not likely.

Can you find the IGP listed in Device Manager? When its driver is installed, it should appear under Display adapters as Intel HD Graphics 4000.

You can also type in System Information in the Windows search field, from the Start button, and check Components, Problem Devices.

Comment

In my case, I've been using NVIDIA GTS 250. During my investigation of the missing half of my memory, I rebooted many times, and couldn't use IGP (Dr. Debug D6 when the GTS wasn't installed and monitor plugged to onboard HDMI port). There was *one occurrence* where my full memory capacity (4x8GB) was visible, and I noticed Intel HD 4000 in Device Manager. This happened on the first boot after I upgraded my UEFI from v2.00 to v2.30. On subsequent boots, memory problem was back, and IGP was no longer visible in UEFI as well as Device Manager.

I can still see in Programs and Features that Intel HD 4000 driver is installed, but the device is simply not there.

Couldn't repro the fix even by downgrading and upgrading to/from v2.00 and v2.30 multiple times, thru Internet Flash and Windows, with some sequence variations. I'm currently staying with v2.30. The minimal splash screen on the new version is much better, btw

The feature set of the board is perfect for me. I'm probably going to RMA, but can't afford the downtime, so I may order another board beforehand, which I could use for another build when this issue is resolved.

Parsec, what exact memory are you using?

Comment

I'm using the new Samsung memory:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US

Not cool looking, or has great specs, but is the ONLY, ONLY memory I have used that you just throw in a board and it works. Read the reviews, one of the few times I'll say they are accurate. I think it's in the ASRock compatibility list, like in the 1333 section.

I have 16GB installed, easily running at 1866, 10 11 11 28, at 1.4V, with an i7-2600K, and at 2000 with an i5-3570K, both on the Z77 EX4, same timings. I can run 8GB at 1.35V, same timings. It will run at 1.5V or more if necessary. At 1333, it will run at 1.28V! NO XMP profile, only manual settings, but so what.

My new fav memory, but I don't care about 2000+ speeds, although I could swear I had 8GB of this memory at 2133. Show me 16GB at 2000 for $88, by anyone else.
              Last edited by parsec; 10-11-2012, 12:22 AM.

Comment

I'm getting the "d6" before my PC even turns on. It might just be my VGA cable, but I've never had time to investigate.

Comment

Working...
                X