system crawls like a snail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• system crawls like a snail

g31m-s dual quad 2.66 ghz 8 gig ram XP sata 3.0 with 32bit enabled - tried every tweak program I could find, defrag everything! It has to be something with my board. It takes up to 5 minutes for a program to load.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: system crawls like a snail

what ram and hdd are you using? could be your hdd thats slow?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'll run through the things that come to mind, you may have done at least some of them already.

When is the last time you re-installed XP? A pain at times, I know, but it will accomplish 100% of the cleanup tasks at once. What SATA chipset do you have, SATA mode (IDE, AHCI?), and SATA driver? Are your drives SATA or PATA? Are your HDDs really SATA 3Gb/s capable? Have you run a Windows disk cleanup? Cleaned up old Windows restore points (via a disk cleanup option?)

Updating drivers may help, what is the exact make and model of your board? Your CPU being "dual quad 2.66 ghz" does not make sense, is it a Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Duo, or what? Official Intel model number please, such as Core 2 Quad Q8300.

Search for CCleaner and download (free), run its cleaner on Windows and applications. Before running the cleaner, go into its Options and click the Cookies button. Move entries from websites you care about to the Cookies to Keep side (drag and drop), otherwise they will be deleted.

Run the registry cleaner, backup the registry when it asks you to, and run the registry cleaner. If that causes problems, restore the registry with the backup.

In its Tools section, run the Startup feature, and see how many worthless things are running in the background that do nothing. Disable rather than remove things you are uncertain about, so you can enable them if disabling causes problems. This can be a major fix.

Go into your BIOS and either save your current settings in a profile if it has that capability, or if not write them down. Shutdown and remove power from the PC, open it up and move the jumper to clear the BIOS/CMOS, and also remove the boards battery for a few minutes. Replace battery, move jumper back, close it up and boot it up. Go into the BIOS and either restore your profile, or change the settings you use. Check the boot order and put your OS drive first.

32 bit XP will only use 3GB - 4GB of memory, a limitation of a 32 bit OS. Your other 4GB is doing nothing, unless you have a RAM drive. Find a program that will show you how much memory is being used (HWiNFO32, free), and run it and see if you have free memory.

When Windows 8 comes out in October, consider upgrading from XP. But understand that Windows 8 is night and day from XP, research that and decide if you can live with it. Only $40 until 1/1/2013. Is your PC 64 bit capable? If so, go with a 64bit OS.

I assume you have a anti-virus program. If not, search for Microsoft Security Essentials (free), download and run.

Comment

yeah thats right,max of 3.5gb is usable with xp 32bit,it still should feel and load things fast though but a 64bit os would help no end
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X