Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wich AM3+ and LGA1155 support 5.1 over SPDIF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wich AM3+ and LGA1155 support 5.1 over SPDIF?

Well that is what I would like to know, I checked all the mainboards but there is no info if the onboard sound is able to send a realtime compressed(either using DTS or Dolby Digital Live) audiosignal over the SPDIF out.I used my old creative like that and if any board could do that I could finally remove the creative card.

Re: Wich AM3+ and LGA1155 support 5.1 over SPDIF?

It's actually easy to tell if they did have those features or not. If they did, the support would be listed in giant letters as a special feature, particularly since they would need to pay for the licensing of DD or DTS to be added to the board, along with the decoding chip. DD and/or DTS are still fairly rare features on mother boards, although some are adding them now. I have an old socket 775 Intel mother board that had DD 5.1 decoding by some miracle, although the "driver" (decoding software) could be glitchy for some users, apparently.

BTW, the answer in none.

I always laugh at the "HD Audio, 7.1 Channel Support!" marketing line seen on mother boards. Sure, it has 7.1 channels, but what is feeding those channels, what is the source? Of course, SPDIF output is unrelated to that, but if DD or DTS decoding was available, it would be routed to both of those output types.

Comment

Working...
    X