ASRock X79 Extreme4 PCIE-3.0 Stutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock X79 Extreme4 PCIE-3.0 Stutter

Whenever I run my card in PCI-E 3.0 mode I get random stutters/black screens/driver crashes, etc... usually 30min to an hour into gameplay, this doesn't happen with 2.0

I've been doing some research and it looks like this isn't an issue specific to the X79 platform, as other users are having the same issue with different chipsets.

My question is, does anyone here know about a "fix" for this issue? Other than using PCI-E 2.0; I'm aware that there isn't really "much" if any perf. diff between the two in the average video game. That said it's still an odd issue and I'm curious if anyone has found a solution...

I am aware Intel released a microcode update around June this year that I've heard was intended to address an issue with the PCI-E bus signal timing issues, I'd like to know if ASRock has applied this update to the 2.10 bios or if they intend to add it to the next release as it seems to address the issue I'm experiencing... http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...dType=Firmware

Also, please don't blame this on the sandy bridge e microarchitecture for not being truly pci-e 3.0 compliant, as it's an issue that's also occuring with some ivy bridge users as well...and there's 3930K users out there running in pci-e 3.0 mode without this problem.
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m...e=1&print=true
    http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=9403.0
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36...bridge-systems
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038962857
    http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.p...ic,9144.0.html

Just to be clear I am not blaming ASRock for anything, I am just asking if it's something within their power to fix/address.
    Last edited by ksosx86; 09-14-2012, 02:44 AM.

Re: ASRock X79 Extreme4 PCIE-3.0 Stutter

NVIDIA released a new WHQL driver today, which might help:

NVIDIA DRIVERS 306.23WHQL

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      NVIDIA released a new WHQL driver today, which might help:

NVIDIA DRIVERS 306.23WHQL
      Hi parsec,
      I tried your suggestion and installed the latest drivers from NVIDIA *306.23*, however I am still having the issue with PCI-E 3.0, unfortunately it doesn't solve anything with that at all.

Comment

Do you have the latest version of the Intel Management Engine (IME) installed? The version on your boards download page is not really new, and is the same one Intel supplies for their own X79 boards, so yours may be up to date, but just a thought. The IME is needed to get the PCIe 3.0 lanes working correctly.

Intel has a newer version of the inf files installation program, 9.2.3.1023, which is newer than the one on your boards download page.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          Do you have the latest version of the Intel Management Engine (IME) installed? The version on your boards download page is not really new, and is the same one Intel supplies for their own X79 boards, so yours may be up to date, but just a thought. The IME is needed to get the PCIe 3.0 lanes working correctly.

Intel has a newer version of the inf files installation program, 9.2.3.1023, which is newer than the one on your boards download page.
          Yeah, I've been running the latest ones from Intel's site, the only thing I've got from the ASRock download page is the USB 3.0 drivers, I'm still having the PCI-E 3.0 bug even with the latest Intel drivers from the Intel site.
          Last edited by ksosx86; 09-16-2012, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Bump

Come on! surely someone from ASRock can comment on this, I'm willing to test any beta bios you could make to correct this issue etc, I just want to know whether you're willing to address this issue or if it's nothing you can address at all. Which would be unfortunate seeing as how some SB-E users don't have this particular issue which leads me to believe it can be addressed in a bios revision. However, if not I'd rather you let me know as that would be the fair and right thing to do as opposed to avoiding this topic alltogether.
            Last edited by ksosx86; 09-16-2012, 01:16 AM.

Comment

I would try contacting Asrock support. The chances of getting any kind of answer at all is better than on the forum, although they do surprise you sometimes. I've put in support tickets before with a phone number and they have called me, FWIW.
              Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
              Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
              PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
              Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
              Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
              HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
              SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
                I would try contacting Asrock support. The chances of getting any kind of answer at all is better than on the forum, although they do surprise you sometimes. I've put in support tickets before with a phone number and they have called me, FWIW.
                Been there done that .. finally some guy emailed me and after a few correspondances he said he'd push it up the chain, but that was a long time ago now and I still haven't heard back on that. I'll keep pressing the issue with him, but hey, I figured that the "wheel that squeekes the most is the one that gets oiled" or however that saying goes, thus it couldn't hurt my chances to post my issue in here as well, since they've got this linked on their site for forums reg. discussuion of their products. Anyways... thanks for the suggestion
                Last edited by ksosx86; 09-16-2012, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I don't blame you . I probably got lucky, but I had a pretty big thread on here for a while.
                  Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
                  Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
                  PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
                  Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
                  Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
                  HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
                  SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

just run it in pci-e2 slot for the time being,you wont se any performance drop,only maybe a few fps in tri sli and super resolutions

as to what the cause is idk,what motherboard memory are you using and tested it for stability? could be bios bug or nvidia driver bug,i know they suffer from microstutter
                    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
                      I don't blame you . I probably got lucky, but I had a pretty big thread on here for a while.
                      Yeah, hopefully it won't be on for too long, like I've said I'm really just looking for either of two possible replies from ASRock, something like "no this isn't in our power to address, and this is why etc..." or "yes we can fix this, here's an eta etc..." whichever is fine I just would like an honest, concise answer...

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                      just run it in pci-e2 slot for the time being,you wont se any performance drop,only maybe a few fps in tri sli and super resolutions

as to what the cause is idk,what motherboard memory are you using and tested it for stability? could be bios bug or nvidia driver bug,i know they suffer from microstutter
                      My memory's listed in my specs, I've thrown prime, occt, ibt, hyper pi, memtest, and anything else I could think of at it, it is definitely stable. As I've said, the issue only happens when in PCI-E 3.0 mode, not in 2.0
                      I'm really leaning towards it being a signal timing issue, as I said earlier. I'm just curious if ASRock applied the latest microcode update yet. I'm running in PCI-E 2.0 for the time being like you said, I agree that the perf diff isn't really noticeable. I don't see the correlation between microstuttering and an issue experienced on the PCI-E controller resulting in the signal training going too quickly causing an unstable signal and signal timing...that's a cpu/mobo issue if you ask me, which is why Intel releases those updates for manufacturers to apply. On a side note, it'd be nice if those BIOS rev "release descriptions" gave a little more in-depth info than "update cpu code..." like what cpu code they updated, or if it was from intel, (the date of the release *if intel code update*)... It's possible ASRock's using the latest updates but I'd still be confused seeing how some users with different motherboards but the same cpu and gpu, don't have this issue in PCI-E 3.0 mode, as in true 3.0 as verified by bios desc, gpu-z, nvcontrol panel, etc, not overclocked 2.0 lanes.
                      Last edited by ksosx86; 09-17-2012, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Update 9/19/2012:

The PCI-E 3.0 issue is strictly related to NVIDIA kepler gpus, current gen3 amd gpus don't conflict with x79/sb-e. By flashing my GTX 670 to Palit's bios, I can now run my video card in Gen3 mode without any problems at all. This is definitely not an ASRock issue/problem. I've attached a copy of the GTX 670 bios that fixes the Gen3 stutters/crashes/blackouts for me. Just make sure and apply the X79/SB-E Gen3 patch found here: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...QvaDEzbE45X2s=

Note: I'm using the PNY Geforce GTX 670
                        Driver version 306.23
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by ksosx86; 09-19-2012, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X